- Text Size +
Story Notes:
The sequel to "The Messenger Bag" is finally here. I've had some time to think about how the story is going to go, and then it was just a matter of putting into writing, which, with a full time-part time job and recovering from surgery is kind of hard to do. Anyway, Ive taken a few liberties, made some assumptions, so its technically an AU. It will be very AU soon, too. I originally had another chapter for the Messenger Bag, but Ive decided to incorporate it into the story.
Author's Chapter Notes:
Takes place a year after the end of MB.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Spoilers for Goodbye Toby. Do not own.
Dear Pam,

It seems like just yesterday this tradition began, but here we are, one year later, still slipping each other notes on company time. But this one is special, Miss Beesly, because it is, as I said, the one year anniversary of us. Well, not really, but you know what I mean.

If you’re reading this, then I know for sure that you actually read through the faxes in the morning, and that you don’t just throw them into the “special filing system”. But, if you are reading this, you’ve already seen the surprise I have left for you right next to the fax machine. Its not extravagant, and its certainly not elegant, but the moment I saw it, I knew it was perfect for you.

Tomorrow marks some changes. Big changes. But with you, I know everything is going to be alright.

I love you, I always will. (hell, I always have)

Jim

PS – As much as you wont want to wake me up before you leave in the morning, please do. It would kill me if you left without saying goodbye.


Pam folded the letter back up, and slid it into her purse. Her smile beamed, but as she looked at her now barren desk, the bright smile faded. It was her last day at Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. At least for the summer. But it was going to be a long summer for her, away from her family, away from Jim.

“Pamalamadingdong!” She heard Michael scream from his office.

It was going to be a long day.

***

“No, I don’t think she’d like that.” Jim said, to an oddly serious Andy, as they looked into the glass cabinets of the jewelery store. “Pam’s not exactly a yellow diamond kind of girl.”

“But it screams ‘Ray of Sunshine”. And Pam certainly is the sunshine of our office.”

“Andy, I told you, I already got her engagement ring. We’re looking at bands.”

“Why are you looking at wedding bands, Tuna? You haven’t even proposed yet.” Andy said with a confused look on his face.

Jim sighed. “Because I want Pam to know that I am in this. Her last engagement, she did everything.”

“Wait, Pam was engaged before??” Jim nodded. “To who?”

“Remember Roy, from the warehouse?” Jim said, grimacing with disgust.

“Tuna, are you yanking my chain?”

“I yank not.”

“Wow. So this one will be different.”

“Yah, this one is gonna stick.” Jim said. “She’s not going to get stuck doing all the planning and preparing. I will do as much as she wants me to.”

“So when do you pop the question, big tuna?”

“Tonight.”

Andy started talking about something that didn't really interest Jim. His eye caught a pair of white gold wedding bands, and as he signalled down the sales girl, he asked her to put them on hold. He took out his phone and quickly snapped a picture. He felt it. These were it. Symbols of eternity, love, trust and devotion.

It probably would have been a great moment, had Andy not been singing Endless Love.

***

Pam decided at around 2pm that enough was enough. Jim was out on a sales call with Andy, and it was time to send him a message.

I cant take it much longer, I'm going to go insane.

She pulled her purse out of her desk and placed the single white rose inside. The little token of affection that Jim had placed next to the fax machine had sat next to her computer screen to keep her sane during the day. Her phone then buzzed, with a response from Jim.

You cant wait until I get back? How will you get home?

My other boyfriend can drive me.

Who? Dwight?

Creed.


Just then, the office phone rang. “Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam.”

“I don’t want you in a car with Creed.”

“I don’t want you in a car with Andy, but here we are.”

“So, you’re thinking of heading out early?” Jim asked, pulling into the Dunder Mifflin parking lot.

“Its so boring here without you.”

“Did you ask Michael if you can leave?”

“Not yet, but I’m sure I can come up with a good excuse.” Pam said, watching Michael look intensely at his computer screen. “He seems to be busy anyway. I’m sure he’s watching clips of Whose Line is it Anyway on YouTube.”

“Again?” Jim asked

“Again.”

“Well, hurry up. I'm downstairs.” He said. Her heart skipped a beat and she quickly said she’d be right down. She walked over to Michael’s office and knocked the obligatory 6 times. After he said it was okay to come in, she knocked twice more. She learned her lesson once, a lesson she will never forget.

“Michael?”

“I still can’t believe that this show got cancelled.” He said. “It was ahead of its time!”

“Its improv, Michael. Plus I think it was the cast that wanted to end the show.” She stopped herself. She wouldn’t get out of that conversation. “Michael, I was wondering if I could leave early. I have a lot of packing to do still.”

“Well, yeah, I guess. Just get Meredith to take over the phones. Have fun in New York.”

“Thanks, Michael.”

“And, you know that there is a party in your honour next weekend, right?”

“I do, I will be here.” She said, smiling. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world.” She knew he would never pick up her sarcasm.

She grabbed her purse and unceremoniously left the office. As promised, Jim was waiting for her in his car, Andy now long gone. “You ready?”

She looked at him and smiled. “Absolutely.”
Chapter End Notes:
Reviews would be wonderful!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans