- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This will start off as Jim/Pam's wedding day, and go through a series of flashbacks from alternating POV's. Some will be Episode related, some not. I just had this story stuck in my head and couldn't get it out without writing it!
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the setup for the rest of the story. Everyone gets a little nostalgic on their wedding day.
*****

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Pam lay in her bed enjoying the quiet of the early morning. The clock beside the bed said 7:42. It was strange to be waking alone. The space next to her seemed so empty, soon to be filled by her life partner, her best friend-her husband. They had planned a small and intimate ceremony, to be attended by only their close family members, and it had soon become more than that. They felt they had to invite everyone in the office, then family members decided that other people needed to be invited. So on and so forth. They had somehow managed to keep it to a manageable 87 people, of which 76 had replied favorably.

Jim had stayed at his parents the night before and left Pam to their apartment for she and the bridesmaids to get ready. They had found a beautiful outdoor garden location for the ceremony with an adjacent outdoor area for the reception. Pam had been oddly calm and unaffected the week before the wedding, tying up loose ends with the help of the wedding planner her mom had talked her into finding. It had been the complete opposite of her first experience planning and anticipating a wedding. The former having been rife with pain and fear-and indecision.

She had wondered if the relaxed mode she was in would last and the night before her emotions answered her. She stood next to Jim at the venue, waiting for the rehearsal to begin per the wedding planner-he had his arm draped around her shoulder and her arms circled his waist and something about everything that was going on around her made it very real to Pam.

“What’s wrong?” Jim had looked down at Pam, seeing her eyes looking red and watery.
“Nothing, just taking it all in.” She smiled back at him, looking up into his smiling eyes. Something just tugged at her heartstrings when she thought about the fact that this person would be her husband the next day. How had she gotten so damn lucky? To find somebody this wonderful after coming so close to almost making the biggest mistake in the world was just too much to think about.

The rest of the night was an emotional roller coaster for Pam. Walking through the ceremony, there were tears, which she assured Jim were happy ones. Then all their families giving them hugs and saying how happy there were for she and Jim. More tears. Pam’s father topping it off by standing up at the rehearsal dinner and telling Jim ‘thank you’ for making his little girl so happy. Mega tears.

Now she sat on the edge of her bed with a 1000 watt smile across her face, thinking about the fact that in a little more than 10 hours, she would be Pam Halpert. She stood and crossed the room, running her hand along the satin of her wedding gown, thinking about how she almost gave in to being a very different woman in a very different life.

*********
He really wanted to call and check on Pam. His watch said 8:15 am. He wasn’t sure she’d be up but she was so emotional the night before that had been a little worried about her. He never doubted, though, that the tears were ones of love and happiness and not of uncertainty. She was smiling through her tears, and he had to admit there were a few he had wiped away himself. When Pam’s father had stood at the rehearsal, welcoming him into their family and saying how happy he had made his daughter, he had the hardest time keeping it together.

He could smell the breakfast his mom was cooking for them in the kitchen and it seemed odd that he would never stay here in his old room again alone. He looked around at the little trophies and stuff his mom had left there, all his old basketball pictures. It was a snapshot in time from his high school years.

“Hey, honey come eat something.” he heard his mom call through the door.
“Just a minute, Mom, I’m still waking up, okay?”
“Okay, just don’t be too long.” With that he heard her pad down the hall away from the door.

Jim picked up his cell phone and speed-dialed. She must have known he would call because it only took one ring.
“Hey. How’d you sleep?”
“Hey, okay, how ‘bout you?” She was smiling, he could tell.
“Pretty good,” he lied. “But I was lonely. Its really hard to sleep with all that quiet and no snoring coming from the other side of the bed.” He laughed thinking about her delicate little snoring noises.
“I do not snore. At least I don’t talk in my sleep.”
“Okay, okay. Well, the point is I missed you.” He put one arm behind his head on the pillow, raising up a little. “Did you miss me just a little?”

“Yes,” her voice was almost a whisper. “More than a little.”
“Listen, I have to go ‘cause my mom made breakfast and she keeps calling me. But hey, I guess next time I see you we won’t be single anymore.” It was really hard for him not to smile too much thinking about that.
“Yeah, we won’t. I can’t wait.”
“Me either.” Jim got off the bed and walked to his closet, pulling on his pajama pants. “Gotta go. Have a great day, Beesly.”
“You, too.”

Jim looked around his room as he threw the cell phone on his bed. It seemed like such a long time ago, and even though they were great memories it occurred to him how different he was now. He had been through a lot, most of it having to do with Pam but not all of it. It always seemed kind of sad to him to think about old memories because it almost seemed like they happened to someone else-and maybe they had in some way.
Chapter End Notes:
****


The following chapters will be snapshots in Jim and Pam's life before and after they met interspersed with moments of them getting ready for their wedding.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans