- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

 

 

Five days after Jim transfers to Stamford:

To: Jim.Halpert@dundermifflin.com

From: Pam.Beesly@dundermifflin.com

Subject: Hi

Hi,

I know you asked me not to contact you for awhile, but I just wanted you to know that I hope you are adjusting okay.  I won't ask you any questions because I know you don't want to talk to me right now.  I just hope you are happy and everything is alright.  

This email is stupid, I'm sorry.  I have written and deleted it 43 times.

When you feel you are ready, please just email me or call me to let me know how you are doing.  

I'm not deleting it this time.

Pam

**************

June 8, 2006 1:35am

It is chilly inside the car and the window keeps fogging up.  She doesn't want to run the defroster so she just deals with it.  She sees headlights coming up behind her in the rear view mirror.  It is so early and the street is quiet so she figures this must be it.  She slowly gets out of the car and waves down the cab.   When the driver stops she makes the universal sign for 'roll your window down' and he does.

"Hi, are you here to pick up Jim Halpert?"

The guy doesn't say anything, just looks at a piece of paper from the dashboard and nods.

"Yeah, I'm sorry but he had to cancel.  There was an emergency and he wanted me to let you know."

"Are you sure?"  The driver looks pissed.  "He just called me fifteen minutes ago."

She didn't plan for this.  "Yeah," she says, "It just happened.  Actually the ambulance just left, you didn't see it?"

"No, no,"  he isn't angry anymore, "Okay, well, I hope everything is okay."

"Yeah, I hope so too, thanks."

When he drives away she gets back in the car, starts the engine to run the defrost.  When the fog is gone from her window and courage she pulls forward a bit and turns into Jim's short driveway.  She waits another thirty seconds or so to get the courage to honk.  Just once--like the cabbie would have.

She sees the front door open and Jim slowly struggle to get out with his luggage and carry-on bag.  

**************

June 8, 2006 1:41am

After Jim locks the front door he makes the small trek to his driveway.  The cab isn't yellow.  He thought it would be a yellow cab, but this is the first time he has used car service so he isn't really sure how it works.  It is so dark out and the lights on the car illuminate the exhaust around it making it hard to make out what kind of car is in his driveway.  He feels a little uneasy about the situation but walks toward the trunk anyway.  When he reaches it, the trunk pops open.  'Don't bother to get out and help buddy, thanks', he thinks to himself. 

When his bags are in the car he walks around to back seat on the passenger side and gets in.  

"You will probably be more comfortable up here in the front seat."

**************

June 8, 2006 1:41am

She waits a couple of seconds before turning around to face him.  He is shocked.

"Pam, what are you doing here?"

"Will you get in the front seat?"

"Where is the cab I called?"

"Will you just please come up here first?"

"What the hell are you doing in my driveway at two o'clock in the morning?"

"God damn it, Jim.  Will you just please get in the front seat?"

He gets out of the car and moves to the front seat.

"I found out your flight information from Ryan.  I told the cab driver there was an emergency and cancelled.  I'm going to drive you to the airport."

"Pam, I asked you, please.  I was doing so well not thinking about you and I am about to spend two weeks alone and really needed to keep my head clear... why couldn't you just..."

"I'm not getting married."

Silence.

"I'm not getting married and I just couldn't let you spend your time in Australia thinking I did.  I broke up with Roy last night.  I called the whole thing off--the wedding, engagement, everything.  I promise, I won't call you again until you are ready but I just couldn't let you think I got married."

"Why?"

"Why, what?"

"Why did you call it off?"

"You know why... part of it is you, part of it is me.  I am not in love with him anymore.  I haven't been for awhile."

Jim is quiet and rests his head against the head rest.

"Ever since that night... I have been thinking... and the thoughts turned into realization... and the next thing I knew there was only one answer.  No.  When he touches me I wish it was you.  When he kisses me I compare it to yours.  When we... I wish it was us."

"I never thought I would ever hear you say those things to me."

Pam reaches over and takes Jim's hand.  "I'm sorry I hurt you."

"No, you did what you thought was right.  I understand it isn't easy."

"Jim, I'm going to need some time.  I want to make myself perfectly clear here.  I drove three hours in the middle of the night to make myself perfectly clear--I don't want to be just your friend anymore.  I want us to be more than friends.  I just need some time to get things straightened out a bit and figure out what I am going to do next.  Is that okay?"

He looks at her.  He has tears in his eyes.  "Of course."

They are both unsure of what to do next.  The car windows have fogged up again.  Jim makes the first move and reaches over and kisses her.  His lips feel soft and Pam can't believe she is able to touch them again.  She starts grabbing at his shoulders, his neck, whatever she can to hold on to him as tight as she can.  He moans a bit in her mouth and she feels it somewhere else.   They break apart.

"We have to go..."

"I don't want to..."

"Yes you do.  You need this Jim.  You deserve this.  You are going to have a wonderful time."

"Can I call you?"

"God, yes please."  She looks at him.  "Not talking to you these past few weeks have been hell."

"I just want to give you space."

"No, I know... don't tell anyone okay?  Everyone will find out the wedding is cancelled tomorrow but don't tell anyone about us."

"I wouldn't do that."

"I know."

She drives to the aiport.  They only talk about little things the rest of the way.  It feels good to be them again.  It feels good to be Jim and Pam.  Before he gets out of the car she kisses him one last time.  He promises to call her when he gets there. 

When he shuts the door she says 'I love you' to the empty car.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans