- Text Size +
Do you ever miss me?
Wishing you could kiss me?
If only you could hold me,
Do you ever get lonely like me?

Jim arrived to pick Karen up for the rehearsal dinner a half an hour early. He'd tried calling her, but obviously when she saw it was him she didn't pick up, so he'd had to settle for leaving a few apologetic messages. Armed with Herr's salt and vinegar potato chips, her favorite, he knocked on the door. When she answered, she wasn't fully dressed as Jim expected, she was in a pair of sweat pants and an old t-shirt. She wasn't wearing any makeup which was rare for her, and her eyes were red and puffy, like she'd been crying.

“Can I... come in?” Jim asked cautiously. Karen shrugged and stepped to the side, leaving him just enough room to get through. “So what's going on?”

“I don't know Jim. You tell me.” Jim just looked at her. “Don't play dumb. I don't get you. One day you're in love with me, the next day you're off on a date with some old girlfriend of yours and I-”

“Pam was never my girlfriend,” Jim interrupted. “We were just really good friends.”

“I don't care. I don't. But you told me you had a thing for her.” Karen crossed her arms over her chest and waited for his response.

“Karen, that thing with Pam, it's over, it's all in the past.”

“Is it though? Look Jim, I don't want to be played. If you would rather be with somebody else then just go. It's really not worth my time.” Jim hesitated. He could deny it all he wanted, but it was more obvious now then ever that his feelings for Pam were not gone, and they might never be. She was married though, and she'd made it pretty clear that she only wanted to be friends. “You take your time. Think about it however long you want,” Karen spat, her voice dripping with sarcasm. She walked over to the couch and threw herself down on it. Jim sighed and followed her, dropping the chips on the kitchen counter as he passed.

“It's you Karen. I swear.”

“Don't say that if you don't mean it. What if some other ghost from your past wanders up. What are you gonna do then? Will you still love me?”

“I want to marry you tomorrow. I love you, and I always will.” The words Jim were saying didn't make a lot of sense in his head. It was almost like he meant them for someone else. Karen didn't even crack a smile.

“I saw the way you looked at her,” Karen's voice broke on the last word, but she wasn't about to cry. Not in front of him. “Do you still have feelings for her?” At this point, with his fiancé about to break down in tears right in front of him, he couldn't lie anymore. Not to her, and not to himself.

“Yes.” Karen nodded, and slid her engagement ring off of her finger. She placed it in Jim's palm and took a deep breath.

“What the hell happened to us Halpert?”

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans