- Text Size +
I know that this world has changed us,
Now we're nothing more than strangers,
But do you think about me ever?
Do you think we belong together?

Pam knew she looked horrible. She didn't think to put on waterproof mascara that day, so it inevitably had run down her cheeks. Not to mention her hair, which must have been a disaster. Still, he looked at her like she was the most beautiful girl in the world. It was funny how she'd never seen that look in her own husbands eyes.

“Hey, Pam.” He smiled a little bit, and in that moment he knew that it was the right choice not to marry Karen. Even at her worst, Pam was still gorgeous to him.

“So what...what happened? With the wedding?”

“Oh, it didn't really work out.” Pam nodded, but didn't meet his eyes.

“I'm getting a divorce.” Those words sounded weird coming out of her mouth. She never thought she'd be saying them.

“What?” Pam looked up.

“There's... Roy has this other girl.” Saying it out loud made fresh tears well up in her eyes.

“I'm sorry.” They locked eyes for a minute.

“Look, Jim, what you said before... about you still having feelings for me?” Jim didn't wait any longer before stepping forward to close the space between them and kissed her.

- - - - - - - - - -

Pam rolled over the next morning, sunlight streaming in all around her. The room she was in was unfamiliar still, but it felt comfortable. Right. She could smell something coming from the kitchen. It smelled like waffles, maybe pancakes.

“You awake yet Beesly?” Jim poked his head in the room and Pam smiled. They hadn't slept together, but Pam was homeless at the moment and Jim said it made no sense for her to get a hotel. He had generously given her his bed while he slept on the couch. Pam had to admit, it did feel a little weird for her to be sleeping in his bed, but she didn't object. She liked being surrounded by his scent. As she was falling asleep, she couldn't help remembering that time before she and Roy had moved in together when she needed some place to stay but didn't want to sleep with him, and he'd made her sleep in his recliner. “I made breakfast.” Jim told her. “Or does Fancy New Beesly not eat waffles?”

“No, she does,” Pam stood up, feeling strangely exposed in her tank top and shorts. She made a mental note to go clothes shopping as soon as possible. That or somehow get back into her apartment when Roy wasn't there.

“Good because I made a lot.” He led her into the brightly lit kitchen, where the table was set for two, piled high with waffles, milk, juice, fruit, and syrup.

“Wow, you really went all out.”

Jim just shrugged. “I didn't remember what you liked.”

“This is all good,” She sat down and put a waffle on her plate. They ate in silence for a few minutes before she spoke again. “Hey. I forgot to thank you last night. For letting me stay here.”

“Don't mention it.” Jim replied. He looked like he wanted to say something else, but Pam interrupted.

“It's just... Jim, I'm getting a divorce and you just broke up with your fiancée. Don't you feel like this is a little fast?” The words hurt Pam as she said them, but it almost seemed wrong to move on so quickly. Even if it was Jim, someone who was quite possibly the love of her life. Surprisingly, there was no hurt in Jim's eyes as he responded.

“The way I see it, is I've been in love with you for roughly six years. Just because there was another woman in that time doesn't mean I fell out of love with you. If you need to take it slow, I get that. But just know that I'm going to wait for you.” Pam wanted to cry. She'd actually been doing that a lot lately.

“What's going to happen? I mean, because you live here and I still work in Scranton.” It was her subtle way of saying that she felt the same way about him, she was just worse with words.

“I could see about a transfer. Maybe. If you think it's a good idea. I mean, it would be a little awkward with me and Karen working together anyway right?”

“It's going to be just as awkward working with Roy.”

“Oh God. You're right. Why is it that we choose to be involved with people that we work with?”

“I have no idea.” Pam laughed, for the first time in what felt like years, though she knew it wasn't nearly that long.

“Well, whatever happens, it's gonna be okay.” Jim put a hand over hers. It felt like a gesture of protection, more than affection. “Because we're together now. Right?” He asked this a little uncertainly, like he was afraid she would say no. Three years ago, she might have, but not this time.

“Yes,” She said reassuringly. “We're together now.”


Turniphead815 is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked Lonely also liked 976 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans