- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

I wanted to write something post Business Trip and it seemed to fit here without my even realizing it.  So...I tweaked it and then added it on.  I'll probably continue here throughout the season as the mood strikes me.  Sorry to say - this is a WIP once again. :)

Just a little fluffy thing.  I'm sleep deprived so all errors are mine and mine alone.  Don't be afraid to tell me if I use two instead of too or use five different tenses in a sentence. 

I hope you enjoy.

xoxoxo

 

She had known she would surprise him.

The whole drive home she imagined the look on his face, a mixture of shocked and delighted with a dash of self-satisfaction.  She knew, though he might not say it exactly, that he'd think she'd come home because of him.  She had been determined to prove him wrong.

Well.  Make that slightly wrong.

Her grades had given them a second opportunity to discuss her stay in New York.  The first came when he'd overheard Alex.  

She had rushed to explain then, to make a joke and laugh it off.  He'd just listened while she babbled a mile a minute about how crazy that was and who did he think he was telling her she couldn't have a career anywhere but New York.  

But she knew he didn't exactly buy it.  He'd been too quiet.  He'd barely said a word while she prattled on.  She remembered how he half-heartedly mumbled, "Something to think about" as she continued to protest.  She's not sure he ever actually believed her when she said that she'd learned all she needed to and that she wanted to come home.

Maybe he'd get the message now.

xoxoxo

He wasn't that guy. 

At least that's what he'd kept telling himself all these months.  He wasn't the jealous guy, or the guy who would hold her back.  He was the supportive guy, the guy who believed she could do anything she set her mind to.

He believed all that.  He just thought that there would be a light at the end of the tunnel.

It hadn't been easy but he'd learned to function without her sitting six feet away from him.   Sure, he'd spent a year sitting that close to her but feeling miles away before but this was - in some ways - much worse.

He never imnagined that'd be possible. 

Selfish or not he had to acknowledge the truth.  He wanted her here.  He wanted her with him.  He wanted them to finally start their lives together because though they'd only been engaged a few months he'd been waiting more than a few years for this.  Still thoughts like that made him feel alternatively pathetic and incredibly selfish.   He wanted her to understand that no matter what she chose he would be there.

He couldn't help but hope that she'd choose him.

xoxoxo

They drove to Jim's apartment, their apartment now, in relative silence.   Once there Pam got to the front door first and bounced on her heels as she turned the key.  His hands settled on her hips as he pressed a kiss to the back of her neck.  She sighed and leaned against him as they made their way inside.

Pam turned in his arms as she led him through the door, tugging impatiently on his hands as she dragged him over the threshold.   She moaned softly as his lips finally met hers again.   Reluctantly she eased away from him, chuckling at the look on his face.   

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?"

He squinted and pursed his lips, trying to suppress a smirk.  "Like what?"

"You know like what."

His eyes glittered with a mix of amusement and desire.  His voice was soft and slightly dangerous as he replied, "You'll find out".

He pulled away slowly to lift the strap of his bag over his head.  As he let go it fell with a soft thud.

She pushed his suit jacket off his shoulders as her own bag slipped off her arm. Her coat followed quickly, cascading to the floor to form a puddle at her feet.

Jim leaned down and snagged her around the waist, lifting her up till her eyes were level with his.  His lips sought hers as he carried her towards the bedroom, stumbling slightly over the week's worth of laundry littering the floor.

Pam opened her mouth in an attempt to tease him about what a slob he was but the opportunity passed quickly.  His lips, impatient and incredibly insistent, silenced her again.

Her feet hit the edge of the mattress and her eyes fluttered closed as he placed her down in the center of the bed. 

Her arms slid around him pulling him closer.  She shivered as his breath grazed her ear.  "Really missed you..."

"You too."  Pam replied as she tugged at his hair and pulled his mouth back towards hers. 

Their hands made quick work of buttons and zippers as the sunlight that streamed through the window started to fade.  His hands and his mouth were demanding yet gentle.  As he moved above her his eyes searched her face.  He smiled widely as he kissed her again.

It had only been about a week since she'd last been with him but there was something so urgent about the way he touched her now.  It was an almost familiar sensation and Pam's mind wandered back to the first time they were together like this.   She realized that it felt the same now as it did then, like they both couldn't wait but were conscious that this was something to be savored.    

Her last coherent thought was how good it was to be home.

xoxoxo

Jim slid his hand over the sheet surprised to find it cold to the touch.  He struggled to open his eyes wondering if he'd imagined that she had been there.   A smile tugged at his lips as he saw Pam's shirt hanging on the bed post, right where he'd tossed it earlier.   Slipping his boxers back on he went to search for her.

He found her in the kitchen, dressed in his tee shirt, huddled over the table with her hands curled around a mug of tea.

"Boy you're quiet.  I didn't even hear the kettle."

Pam shrugged and titled her head.  "Microwave.  It's how I used to make it at school."

"Ahh."  Jim scratched the back of his neck and yawned as he walked towards the table, taking the seat across from her.  He reached out and eased the mug from her hands inhaling deeply before taking a sip. "Cinnamon?"

"Chai.  I found it in the cupboard.  I must have left it here...before I left."

"Tastes good."

"Yeah."  Pam nodded as he slid the mug back over to her. 

"Wanna talk about it?"

"There's not much to say."  She traced the handle with her finger.  "I'm an art school drop out."

"One class doesn't make you a drop out."  Jim replied.  He gazed at her intently, trying to read her mood.  "You sure you're okay with this?"

"It's hard not to be."

"C'mon.  You know what I mean.  You can still go back if you want to finish what you started.  That is if you really want to."

"I don't want to.  I'm finished.  I really don't like graphic design."

"Okay."

"It's that simple.  I hate computers and I wanted to come home."

"I know."  Jim placed his hands over hers.  "So now tell me the rest of it."

"Jim."

"I know there's more to it than that."

"There's not..."

He leaned over and silenced her with a kiss.  "Spill it."

Pam took a steadying breath.  Her voice was small and quiet when she finally spoke.  "I could have avoided this.   This whole thing..."

"What do you mean?"

"If I'd taken Jan up on that internship a few years ago I would have known then that I hated it."

"True.  But you weren't ready..."

"I-maybe I was.  If I'd only listened to you I could have..."

"Well, you can't go back and change things.  The point is you found out - just a little later.  No use worrying about it now.  It kind of is what it is..."

"Right - because if I could go back and change things..."  She bit her lip and ducked her head.  "Never mind."

His heart tightened in his chest as he gazed over at her.  "Hey.  I thought we'd moved past all that..."

"I know.  We did..."  Pam shook back her hair and met his eyes.   "I don't want to ruin this."

He gave her hand a squeeze as he promised.  "Not possible."

"I don't want to be away from you when we should be together planning the wedding."

"And I can't wait for us to do that but I don't want you to come home just because of me."

"Didn't you hear what I said?"  Pam sniffled and smiled.  "It has absolutely nothing to do with you."

"Yeah."  He ran a hand over her cheek.  "I heard you."

"That's not a bad thing by the way.  It's not like you didn't come home for me once.  I figure I might owe you a little."

"You owe me nothing.  Look.  I am so happy you are home.  I'm not going to lie about that.  But I want you to do what you need to do.  And if you need to be in New York..."

"I need to be with you.   New York isn't all it's cracked up to be despite what some people might think.  I mean, I loved it and I'm glad I went but coming home doesn't mean I'm done with school.  I can go here."

"Sure.  Plus that wasn't what that was all about anyway.  He just wanted to keep you there to try and steal you from me."

Pam rolled her eyes.  "Jim.  Stop it."

He grabbed her left hand and toyed with her ring.   "You forget that I heard him.  I know that speech.  I gave that speech.  Although mine was better - if I do say so myself."

"That was completely different."  She tried to pull her hand away.  "One more time.  Alex is not in love with me."

"Right."

"More importantly...I am not in love with Alex.  I'm in love with you."  Pam blew out a breath.  "Though there are moments, like this one, when I forget exactly why."

Jim smiled smugly.  "No you don't."

"No.  I don't."  Pam sighed, exaggerating just a bit.   It was infuriating.  She simply couldn't stay angry with him.  She laughed in spite of herself.   "Lucky for you."

The laughter faded as their eyes met again.    "Sure you're okay?" 

"Yeah.  I'm sure."

"OK.  Now are you sure you don't want to have a double wedding with Angela and Andy?  Rumor has it they decided on a location."

"I'm even more sure of that."  Pam laughed again as she took another sip of tea.  "So?  Where are they getting married?"

"Oh.  I didn't tell you?"  He moved to the cupboard.  His face was concealed but Pam could hear the smile in his voice.   He was grinning widely when he emerged, holding a bag of cookies triumphantly. "They are getting married at...."  He paused for dramatic effect.  "Dwight's farm."  

"Shut. Up."

He held his hand up as he sat down again.  "Scout's honor."

She blinked furiously, still not able to process.  "B-b-but - that's crazy."

"Indeed.  Oh - also crazy? Ryan, it seems, is back with Kelly."

Pam's expression turned devious upon hearing that bit of news.  "Serves him right."  Her eyes filled with delight as she took a bite of the cookie Jim offered.   "Wow.  It's so good that I came back now." 

"I agree."  Jim smiled as he rubbed his thumb over her bottom lip to brush away a crumb clinging there.  "Perfect timing."

Chapter End Notes:
Chapter title courtesy of Matsuo Basho

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans