- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank to sonetos_de_amor for beta-ing this once for me until I messed it up and had to retype the whole thing. Also, for sharing her PIN code with me. She beats bears and Battlestar Galactica. I don't own them - if I did, Alex would be gone.
Five minutes into her drive back to New York, she picked up her phone and hit redial on the last call in her call log.
“Is this how it’s going to be?” Jim asked when he answered. “You can’t go five minutes without me?”
“You couldn’t go five minutes without me,” Pam joked back. “All I did was call. You bought a diamond. God, Jim. Be a man.”
“I thought that’s…” Jim started to say, but Pam interrupted him.
“So, I can’t wait,” she said.
“Are you making fun of my proposal? Jim asked.
“No,” she said, sincerely. “I can’t wait until Sunday to see you. I’m going to drive back to Scranton tonight.”
“Pam, I know I’m irresistible. But your last class doesn’t get over until 7:00. You wouldn’t be in Scranton until after 9 and then you’d have to leave at like 5 in the morning.”
“I don’t care Jim,” she said.
“Well, I do,” he said. “You did not go all the way to New York so you could flunk out of school just so you could spend time with me. “
“You are forgetting how brilliant I am, Halpert,” Pam laughed. “I am not going to flunk out.” She paused then the got serious. “Do you not want to see me? Are you regretting what just happened?”
“Are you kidding me Beesly?” Jim laughed. “I am fighting every urge to not turn this car around right now. But I get your point and I don’t want to sleep without you tonight either. So how about I come back and stay with you tonight.” He said it as a statement and not a question.
“Your bed is bigger,” Pam rebuttled.
“That just means that we’ll have to sleep closer. Besides, are you going to rob be the chance to be a chivalrous boyfriend?”
“Fiance,” Pam said smiling as she looked down at her ring.
“Right,” Jim said. He couldn’t believe that he was someone’s fiancé. Pam’s fiancé. “And I know that you aren’t used to chivalry but that’s what you are going to get with me.”
“Well, if it means that much to you,” Pam said.
“Thank you,” Jim said. “So I should be there about 7 which should be perfect timing.”
“So are you going to tell them at work?” Pam asked.
“Tell them what?” Jim asked, acting like he didn’t know what she was talking about. “Oh,” he continued. “You mean that it’s raining? I think they can figure that out themselves Pam.”
“Ha. Ha,” Pam said, sarcastically.
“There would be nothing that could ruin this day faster than telling the people that we work with.”
“I love you Jim,” Pam said.
***********

The rain had let up slightly as Jim headed to New York. He made great time. Michael had left the office early to go to Lamaze with Jan so Jim snuck out a little early too. He was in the city by 6 and decided to stop and get Pam some flowers. It seemed like a cheesy thing to do, but he was caught up in the moment and feeling cheesy. He reached into his pocket as his phone started vibrating. Opening it, he saw that he had a text from Pam. “I left the door unlocked in case you beat me.” It said, almost as if she could feel him across the campus. He got another text right after that from Pam again. “I can’t wait to see you.” It said.
Jim took the flowers and made his way to her dorm room. The door was unlocked like she promised. He went inside and found a glass to put the flowers in, setting them on her desk so she’d see them right when she walked in. He made himself at home by kicking off his shoes, taking off his tie and undoing the first couple of buttons on his dress shirt. He lay on her bed and flipped on the TV. He could smell her coconut shampoo on her pillow. He was exhausted and had not been sleeping well lately. Being in her bed instantly comforted him and he decided to rest his eyes for a minute.
Pam saw Jim’s car in the lot when she got home from class. She could barely contain herself as she walked up the stairs to her second floor room. She opened the door slowly and a smile slowly crept across her face when she saw Jim sleeping soundly on her bed. His long legs hung over the edge but he looked so sweet. One hand rested on his stomach and the other was above his head. She didn’t want to wake him but she also knew that their time together was short. And she wasn’t planning on getting a whole lot of sleep that night.
She sat on the side of the bed and ran her hands through his hair. Then she cupped his face and leaned down to kiss his forehead. Jim slowly opened his eyes and smiled. “I was really hoping that was you,” he joked as he pulled her into his arms. She scooted herself so she was laying next him, her head on his chest and both his arms around her tightly. She looked up at him and smiled.
“Hi,” she said.
“Hey.” He said back. He leaned down to kiss her. “What’d you do today?” She just smiled, her eyes moving from his eyes to his lips. She reached up and kissing him deeply, her tongue parting his lips and finding his own. He pulled her on top of him without pulling away from her. He ran his hands up her back inside her sweater. Soon she was helping him pull it over her head. He unhooked her bra expertly and threw it across the room. He flipped her over so he was on top and his hands made its way up her stomach and caressed her breast. He pulled his lips away from hers and started making a trail of kisses down her jaw line to her neck. Pam moaned softly and started to undo the buttons on his shirt. Soon, his shirt was on the floor next to hers and he was scooting down the bed and sliding her pants off. He kissed her belly button and made a trail down until she was moaning his name and pulling his hair. She sat up suddenly and grabbed his hands.
“Jim,” she said, in a voice that he had only heard when they were alone. He knew what it meant and he made his way back up and they were both taking his pants off together.
“I have to grab a condom,” Jim said, starting to get off the bed, but Pam grabbed his torso.
“No,” she said, almost begging. “I can’t wait.”
Jim smiled and leaned down to kiss her. “Pam, we have to…” he started.
“Jim, please,” she was really begging now. She reached down and grabbed him sending him into a frenzy. He kissed her as he entered her and she moaned into his mouth. He continued to thrust into her as their hands and mouths found each other expertly.
“Pam,” Jim moaned into her neck. “I’m ready. Let’s do it together.”
Pam could only lean her head back and nod, breathing heavily.
“I love you,” Jim said, collapsing down next to her when they finished.
“You are amazing, “Pam said, into his chest, as he kissed the top of her head.
“So,” Jim said after they both caught their breath. “No condom?”
Pam giggled. “Well,” she said. “I mean, I am on the pill and I TOLD you earlier that I couldn’t wait.”
Jim smiled. “Well, if you end up getting pregnant don’t tell your boyfriend it was me.”
“Oh,” Pam said. “I completely forgot to tell you. I broke up with him.”
“Really?” Jim asked.
“Yeah,” Pam continued. “After class tonight. I just told him we were on separate paths. Me, marrying you. Him, being 18. It was for the best.”
“Oh,” Jim said. “Well, thank you. I guess I’ll call Karen and tell her it’s really over this time.”
Pam elbowed him playfully in the stomach and then held up her left hand to examine her ring.
“I hope it’s okay,” Jim said, getting serious again.
“Jim, it’s perfect. It’s beautiful.” She leaned up to kiss him.
“I bought it like a week after we started dating,” he admitted. “I just saw it and I instantly thought of you.”
“And again, I state, you are amazing,” Pam said. Jim laced his fingers through hers and brought her hand to his mouth so he could kiss her fingertips.
“Pam, I want to spend the rest of my life with you. These past few weeks have been torture. Crazy things happen at work and I catch myself looking up to see if you are seeing what I’m seeing. I’m pretty sure that Ronnie thinks I have a crush on her.” Pam giggled but Jim continued. “And I know that we won’t always work together, and just between you and me, I hope that we don’t work together at places other than Dunder Mifflin. But… I just… I just want it to be you that I come home to every night. I want you to be the one that I tell everything to. My dreams, my hopes, my fears. My ATM code.”
“What?” Pam laughed.
“My ATM code,” Jim said. “It 2677. And I want you to know that.” Pam didn’t say anything for a few minutes and then Jim heard her sniffle. “Hey,” he said. “What’s wrong?” He gently wiped the tears away from her cheeks and pulled her to him tighter. “Was it too soon? For my PIN code, I mean? You don’t have to tell me yours.”
Pam smiled and shook her head. “I just… I thought I was happy a few years ago. But that is nothing like I feel right now. Jim, I’m so happy. And I’m so in love with you. I’m a little scared because of what I’ve been through in the past but then that fear goes away when I realize I can tell you that I’m scared. I know I can tell you anything and you won’t tell me that I’m stupid.”
Jim stopped her. “Did Roy tell you that you’re stupid?” He started to get angry but Pam calmed him down with a kiss.
“Jim, I am laying in your arms with your ring around my finger. And I am going to spend the rest of my life with you. So, it doesn’t matter what he said to me.”
“If I ever do or say anything to make you think that I think you are stupid, you better find someone to kick my ass,” he told her.
“That’s a promise,” Pam said. Jim cupped her face with both his hands and kissed her. The kiss lasted for several minutes when they were interrupted by a loud grumbling.
“What was that?” Pam asked laughing. “Was that your stomach?”
“That,” Jim said. “Was embarrassing.”
“Nope,” Pam said. “I’m going to be your wife. You aren’t allowed to be embarrassed. That’s rule #2.”
“What was rule #1? Jim asked.
“Not telling each other we’re stupid,” she answered. Jim nodded in agreement. “Now what are we going to do about that growling? Because come to think of it, I’m starving too.” She turned around and looked at the clock. “Oh my gosh, it’s already 10:00.”
They decided to go to the 24 hours case that was on the other side of campus. Jim got up and went into the bathroom and Pam started to get dressed. She saw Jim’s undershirt on the floor and smiled. She picked it p and put it on.
“Oooh, that’s hot,” Jim said, coming out of the bathroom.
“Can I wear it?” she asked, smiling at him sweetly.
“Of course,” Jim said, putting his arms around her.

They walked hand in hand to the café, smiling and giggling the whole way. Anyone could clearly tell they were in love. They both ate until the were stuffed and Pam got to introduce Jim as her fiancé for the first time to one of her classmates. Once they were back in the room, their clothes were instantly on the floor and they were back in bed making love. They drifted off to sleep, their limbs tangled with each others.
“1814,” Pam muttered, sleepily.
“Hmm?” Jim asked.
“My ATM,” she said. “1814.” Jim smiled and fell into a deep sleep.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans