- Text Size +

“Roxanne”

It was times like these when Kevin wished he had never signed the damn documentary release form. He hated the fact that the cameras were catching this particular moment of his life.

With a frustrated sigh, he tossed his cell phone down on the dressing room table. He and Stacy had just finished their fifth argument this week. Being on the road was threatening to destroy their relationship. It had been so hard to say goodbye to his fiancée and her daughter Abby. They had always been so supportive of his music career, but it was easier to be supportive when they were all together in Scranton. Playing a show in Detroit and not knowing when he was going to be home again was a completely different story.

The road was also taking its toll on the band’s relationship as well. They constantly argued, which was weird for the normally easy-going Kevin.

Before the show at a small club, the band sat in their dressing room.

Ricky lit up a cigarette before berating his band mates. “Come on, guys. Last night’s gig in Cleveland sucked. We’re a much better band than that. Especially you, Kevin. What’s up? You were shit last night.”

Kevin shook his head as he grabbed a handful of M&M’s (with all the reds picked out, per their rock star demands), “Man, I was playing my heart out last night. When did you get such an ego?”

The guys were in a foul mood as they walked on stage. Then the music took over. At some point, the band found its spark and a blaze ensued. Every song was amazing. This was why I joined a band, Kevin thought. For an forty-five minutes, everything was perfect. All of the arguments with Stacy and his band mates dissipated as they got caught up in the moment.

Halfway through the gig, Kevin saw a piece of fabric fly across the stage before landing on his shoulder. Out of the corner of his eye, he glanced at it. It was a zebra print thong. Nice!

Backstage, Kevin giggled softly as he pocketed the zebra print panties. He would always keep them as a reminder of the awesome night. The band was surprised to see Jeff Banks backstage, looking glum.

“Sit down, guys.” They did as they were told.

“Um, I don’t know how to say this, but the tour’s over, guys. Pete ’n Repeat Records filed for bankruptcy this afternoon. I’m sorry, but we can’t afford to keep up this tour and we won’t be able to provide you with a record deal after all. I’m gutted, guys. I’m really sorry.”

Kevin tried not to cry as he realized that his music career might be over.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans