- Text Size +
A/N: So this story is an AU. It came to me and I couldn’t get it out of my head. I don’t know how focused I’ll be, but for know, I can’t stop writing it.

Summary: A young mother, running from her abusive husband, gets a job at the front desk of the paper company; Dunder Mifflin.

Disclaimer: I wish I did, but I don’t own anything.


-----------------------------------------------------


CHAPTER ONE


Pam sighed as she walked into the small one bedroom apartment. This was going to be way too small. She left the giant suitcase, filled mostly with her children’s clothes and favourite toys, in the living room and took a look around.

“Mom; there’s only one bedroom. Does that mean I have to share with Madi?” Herr little boy asked, poking his head out of the room, his younger sister in tow.

“Yes Brayden, for now you do.”

“But I’m seven now. Seven year olds don’t share rooms with their four year old sisters.” He argued, putting his hands on his hips.

“Brady; your sister needs you right now, you have to take care of her.”

“Yeah, you have to take care of me” Madison piped in, running to her mother. Pam picked her up and carried her on her right hip.

“I had my own room back in California.” Brayden muttered, going back into the one bedroom in the apartment.

Pam let out a sigh. “Madi, sweetheart, why don’t you unzip the suitcase and put some of your movies by the T.V. Pick one you want to watch tonight.” Pam suggested, placing her daughter on the ground.

“Ok mommy.” Madison skipped over to the suitcase.

Pam walked over to the bedroom to talk to her son. “Hey buddy, I’m sorry about this place.” She said, leaning on the door frame.

“I know you are… but I miss my friends.”

“You’ll make new friends. And there’s a school just down the street.”

“Is there anything in the kitchen?” He asked.

“You hungry?” Brayden nodded, “I’ll order us some pizza.” Brayden’s face fell. He didn’t just miss his friends and Pam knew it. “What’s wrong bud? You love pizza.”

“I know. I do.” Brayden looked down at his hands. “Is it wrong that I don’t miss dad?”

Pam composed herself before speaking. She didn’t think her son would bring up his father so quickly. “Its not wrong sweetheart. You and your sister are entitled to you own opinions; maybe one day in the future you’ll feel differently.”

“I don’t think so. Madison misses dad though. She told me.”

“And that’s ok too. She’s young and she doesn’t understand why we left in the first place.”

Brayden sighed. Pam could tell he was getting tired of talking about his father. It was making them both upset and neither of them wanted that. “Tell me about your new job?” He asked, changing the subject like a professional. Pam smiled; she had one smart kid.

“Its not that exciting. I’m going to be answering the phones at a paper company.”

“But it has a funny name.”

“Dunder Mifflin is funny?”

Brayden laughed. “Yeah it is.”

“So, do you want pineapple on your pizza or what?”

“No, pepperoni and mushrooms… You’re favourite. Pineapple was dad’s.”

Pam nodded. “Ok.”


----------------------------------------------------------


“I know that we’re a little bit more expensive that the bigger chains, but with Dunder Mifflin, you are getting superior customer service.” Jim Halpert clicked a couple times with his computer. “Yes we do have it in stock… perfect.; we’ll have it shipped out to you this afternoon. Thank you for your business.”

Jim hung up the phone. “Dwight, why are you staring at me like that?”

Dwight Schrute narrowed his eyes, “who were you talking to?”

“Scranton middle school.”

“You got a deal with them?” Jim nodded. “I’ve been trying to land them for months… Good for you Jim, good for you.”

“Uhh, thanks.” Jim shook his head; Dwight was insane.

“Umm, excuse me? I was wondering if you could help me?”

Jim turned to the sound of the voice. Never had he ever seen a good looking young woman in the office… ever. This was Dunder Mifflin after all.

“Uhh, yeah. What can I help you with?”

“I have a meeting with Michael Scott? I had a phone interview with him about the receptionist job.”

“Did you get it?” Jim asked with a smile.

“Yeah, yeah I did.”

“Well, congratulations. Welcome to Dunder Mifflin.”

“Thank you.”

“Michaels office is just behind me here.”

“Did I hear my name?” They both looked up.

“Please don’t quit before you start ok?” Jim whispered to Pam.

“Why would I?-”

“Are you Pam Beesley? The receptionist I hired. Man, my ears are awesome at detecting hotness.”

Pam looked over to Jim. “Oh.”

“Yeah.”
Chapter End Notes:
Hope you like.. Please review... it is fuel.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans