- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is it!

My mind was spinning. I wasn’t really sure what I was doing because, well, I can’t ever really remember being this bold. I mean if you looked up bold in the dictionary my picture definitely would not be there.

The car seemed to be driving by itself as I thought of things to say to her. I knew it was time to let it all out, no more holding back.

Then, as if by some coincidence, one of my favorite songs came on, and I raised the volume because, well, frankly it was the way I wanted things to turn out.

I got a feeling in my soul
Love burns brighter than sunshine
It’s brighter than sunshine
Let the rain fall, I don’t care
I’m yours, and suddenly you’re mine
Suddenly you’re mine
And it’s brighter than sunshine


I smiled because I knew it was my time. After years of hoping and crossing my fingers, I was about to so something I never thought I would. I was going to tell her everything, and I hoped, with ever fiber of my being, that she would take me for what I was.


The driveway to my house was bare and sullen as I pulled my Corolla in. A quick change of clothes was all I needed, and I hoped the familiar surroundings would do a bit for my confidence.

As I fumbled with my keys, due to my shaking hands, I realized I wasn’t even nervous. It wasn’t nerves; it was excitement. I was anxious to see her and tell her everything. The bottle of feelings I had kept from her was starting to burst.

When I finally got the front door opened, I threw my keys to the counter, and sprinted up the stairs skipping every other step. I couldn’t contain the smile on my face because this was really happening.

Then, I was stopped dead in my tracks. I must’ve gone crazy because I could have sworn that her standing there was some sort of mirage. Of course she wasn’t there, the mix of emotions was just getting to me. And then she spoke.

“Jim,” she was crying.

“Pam, what are you doing here?” I noticed my open computer on my desk. She had been looking at something.

She followed my gaze and quickly responded. “I didn’t mean to snoop, but you left it open. And Jim. Those things you said.”

“What are you talking about?”

The question prompted her to walk over to the computer, and she started reading. It somehow all sounded very familiar, and it was, because I wrote it.

“If I could plan my life out right now, I would spend everyday with her. We’d wake up and I’d make her breakfast. I’d take her on long walks and hold her hand. I’d joke with her and hug her. I’d kiss her forehead every chance I got. She would never ever forget how much she was loved, how much I cared for her. My future right now is pretty bleak. I am working at a dead end job, and I don’t care for anyone else like a care for her. She is my only ray of light. If one day, I am lucky enough to have her, I know I will be the happiest man on the earth. And people say that all of the time, but none of them ever really mean it like I do. She is everything to me. She is my best friend, my fellow jokester, my companion, my source of fun at work, my jelly bean provider, my life. If it’s meant to be, one day we will find each other, and I hope I can make her mine forever.”

I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t have anything left to say. It was all right there laid out for her in black and white.

“Is this real, Jim? You mean every word?”

“Of course I do, Pam. You know that. You’ve always known it.”

“I guess it was just easier for me not to see it.” I wanted to reach out and wipe away her tears, but I didn’t know how to act. Right now, it was her call.

“And it was easier for me not to tell you. But now? Now, Pam, I can’t stop thinking about it. It eats me alive at night. This game we’ve been playing, this game, I can’t do it anymore. I’m exhausted.”

“Me too.”

I couldn’t come up with an intelligible answer, so I just looked at her. I know she could read my mind through my eyes.

“I just, you know what? I’ve been with Roy for about ten years now, and he never said anything like that to me. Never. His idea of making me feel special is buying me a sweater from Target. This is unbelievable, Jim. I can’t breathe, and all I can think about is you. Where do we go from here?”

“I don’t really know.”

“How could I stay with Roy? I don’t love him. I have been lying to myself for the longest time, and I just need to end it.”

“I could wait, Pam.”

“I know this isn’t going to be easy, for me or you, but I feel like it’s something we need to do. We owe it to ourselves to finally be happy. Because I’m not happy, and do you know why?”

I couldn’t believe this was happening. I managed to breathe out a small “Why” and prepared myself for her answer.

“Because I love you, not anyone else. And I know that now. You, Jim Halpert, are the reason I wake up in the morning. You are my best friend, my companion, my amusement, my energy, my everything, and hopefully, you can just be mine.”

Who was it that said objects our attracted to each other due to gravity, because they were definitely right. It was just gravity, something so natural, that pulled me towards Pam.

Our lips locked and this time the kiss wasn’t filled with hope and longing, rather with dreams and thoughts of the future.

Two people could really be soulmates and not know it. They could be totally unaware until destiny stepped in and told them that it had planned for them to be together all along. Because, really? Pam and I were meant to be together, and nothing could ever change that.

She looked into my eyes, and I knew that rough times would be coming, but it would definitely be worth it in the end.
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks with all of those who stuck with this story! I really enjoyed writing it!


Makemesmile108 is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked The Paper also liked 2565 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans