- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry about the wait! Next week the third quarter of my senior year ends and my grades will be locked. Until then, I'm obsessivly trying to bring my grades up :) But I promise an update as soon as I can!
“Hey, I’m going to head out a little early tomorrow,” Pam said, cleaning the plates off the table. “Michael wants me in early to get his files set up.”

“Okay,” Roy nodded. “I’ll get a ride from Darryl.”

“Cool,” Pam smiles slightly and closed the dishwasher. “I’m really tired, I’m going to bed.”

She spun around and walked to their bedroom, closing the door behind her with a click.

“Okay,” Roy mumbled into the empty room.

~*~

Pam walked slowly down the white hallways, hating how loud her small heels sounded on the tile ground.

“Come on mom,” She jumped when she heard Jim’s voice and jumped behind the nurse’s station. One of the nurses gave her an odd look but turned back to her charts.

“It’s nothing sweetie,” Larissa’s voice cracked with emotion.

“It’s a minimally invasive surgery,” Jim replied shortly.

“And by minimally invasive they mean cutting into your heart and hacking out damaged parts,” A man’s voice she did not recognize said sarcastically.

“Cute Tom,” Jim snapped back.

“Boys, come on,” Rob tried to separate his sons. “We’ll see you when you get out Jim.”

“I love you,” Larissa said tearfully.

Pam leaned slightly into the hallway to see Jim lying on a bed, surrounded by his family. He was smiling faintly but his family was pale and worried looking.

“Please, I’ll be fine,” Jim squeezed his mother’s hand gently and leaned back onto the gurney. “I think the anesthesia is beginning to kick in.”

He looked dazed and his words began to slur slightly. Larissa smiled and kissed her son’s cheek before they wheeled him through the double doors.

Pam stared at the swinging double doors, her heart pounding loudly in her ears.

“Pam?” She jumped and spun around to see Mark standing behind her holding a duffle bag. “What are you doing here?”

“I…uh…” Pam stuttered and felt her face heating up. “I wanted to see Jim before he went in.”

“Oh,” Mark raised his eyebrows. “I was just bringing in some extra clothes for Jim. Has he already gone in?”

“Yeah,” Pam nodded.

“Jim didn’t mention you were coming in today,” Mark said as he walked into Jim’s room, dumping the duffle bag on the ground.

“I…I wasn’t,” Mark noticed that Pam had reddened further. “He didn’t know. He actually asked me not to come.”

“Oh,” Mark paused, eyes widening. “I’m sorry. I wasn’t aware.”

“I shouldn’t have come,” Pam muttered, starting to walk out the door.

“Wait!” Mark grabbed her arm. “I didn’t mean to make you feel awkward. I talked to him yesterday about you. He had gotten freaked out because you were spending so much time with him, since you are engaged. He doesn’t want to ruin your engagement but he really likes you.”

“What?” Pam froze.

“I’m so sorry, I wasn’t supposed to say that,” Mark mumbled, rubbing a hand over his face. “This whole situation has been so stressful to him. He comes home from work exhausted and sometimes just talks about everything and anything. Usually, it’s about you.”

Pam stood there in shock. Jim had feelings for her. A horrible wave of guilt washed over her and she fiddled with her engagement ring.

“Please don’t tell him,” She whispered and quickly fled the room, leaving Mark alone in the room.

~*~

“Are you okay?” Pam asked Roy who had been quiet all through dinner.

“Where were you this morning?” Roy asked, suddenly looking up at her.

“I told you yesterday. I had to go in early to type up Michael’s schedule,” Pam poked at her casserole listlessly.

“I had this crazy suspicion that you were mad at me,” He laughed humorlessly. “I bought you one of those giant muffins but when I went to give it to you, you weren’t there. Actually, Scott said you called in to say you were going to be late.”

“I…I don’t,” Pam stuttered, eyes wide.

“All I want to know is where you were. Was it so important that you had to lie to me about it?” Roy said angrily, dropping his fork with a clatter.

“I was at the hospital,” Pam whispered. “Jim went in for surgery this morning.”

“Halpert!” Roy raised his eyebrows. “Are you cheating on me?”

“No!” Pam’s head shot up. “No! I promise we are just friends. I was scared that you would get all upset.”

“Can you see why I am though?” Roy snapped. “You lie to me to go see Halpert in the hospital. I’ve noticed that all during lunch you were checking your phone. You were waiting for information on him, weren’t you?”

“Yes,” Pam whispered.

Roy snarled and stood up from the table abruptly, leaving Pam sitting there by herself.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans