- Text Size +
Over the next few weeks, Pam came as often as she could to visit Jim. They would play cards, board games, or just watch movies. The only comfort she had was that Greg was there to keep Jim company.

The two men had become fast friends and she was always reassured to see them laughing together every time she walked into the room.

“I don’t think I’ll get that transplant,” Greg said suddenly, not looking up from his hand of cards. “I mean, I’m pushing seventy and the smoking has ruined my lungs and liver.”

“Don’t talk like that Greg,” Jim said, his heard skipping a beat.

“Nah, it’s no big deal,” Greg smiled. “I just hope I go with Nurse Susan leaning over me.”

“That would be the way to go,” Jim smiled back, feeling uncomfortable.

“What about you?” Greg suddenly looked serious, the humor gone from his eyes. Jim froze and swallowed heavily.

“Uh…I don’t know,” Jim rubbed the back of his head. “I really don’t want to go anytime soon. I hope I’ll get the transplant but I know that the chances of getting a perfect heart are incredibly slim. I just hope it’s quick and painless.”

“Reasonable,” Greg nodded and erupted into a coughing fit. After his breathing calmed down he studied his cards again.

~*~

“So,” Pam grinned at Jim. “We have Battleship. I know I know…we didn’t want to get crazy tonight with that games but I couldn’t help myself.”

“Is this the Battleship that lights up and makes explosion noises?” Jim asked, laughing. “Awesome!”

“I know right?” Pam grinned and turned the game on. She sat down on the foot of Jim’s bed while he pulled up his feet. “So, how was your day?”

“Not bad,” Jim shrugged. “I had lunch with Greg and then watched TV for a few hours. Riveting, I know. How was work? C5.”

“Miss,” She laughed as Jim placed a little white peg in the space. “Not bad, Michael tried to get everyone to schedule a visit to you at lunch. At the same time. But I said that you were getting a test this morning and they decided they weren’t coming. F10.”

“Miss,” Jim sighed. “Thank you, you saved me. I7.”

“Miss, don’t thank me yet. I told Michael you were getting some testing done and when he asked what the testing was and I couldn’t answer him he took it to mean the worst. Sorry. B9.”

“Hit,” Jim groaned. “Thanks.”

“I tried,” Pam smiled at him, glad to see that he had accepted the need to stay in the hospital.

“After this we could watch a movie,” Pam suggested. “We should invite Greg.”

“Yeah!” Jim lit up at the idea of inviting his new friend. “Mary.” He called out, seeing the brunette walk by his room.

“Yes Jim?” The nurse smiled at him and Pam.

“Could you ask Greg if he wants to come over and watch a movie?” Jim asked but his voice softened at the look on her face.

“Oh honey,” Mary shook her head in sympathy. “I’m sorry if you didn’t hear but Greg passed away this afternoon, his heart just couldn’t handle it anymore.”

“Oh,” Jim’s face became quickly blank. “Oh, okay.”

“I’m so sorry,” Mary continued. “Do you want me to get anyone?”

“No thanks,” Jim said quickly. Mary nodded and gave Pam a sad smile before stepping out of the room.

“I’m so sorry Jim,” Pam whispered, placing a hand on his shoulder. Jim’s green eyes looked almost glazed and his breathing was speeding up. “Are you alright?”

“Oh God,” Jim whispered brokenly. “Oh God, oh God, oh God. I’m going to die.”

“What?” Pam frowned at him but it was almost as if Jim could not see her. His eyes glazed further and he began to let out choking sobs.

“Oh, God, I’m dying,” Jim sobbed, leaning forward catching his head in his hands. Pam quickly wrapped her arms around him, bewildered. “I’m going to die, I’m going to die.”

Pam gently shushed him, trying to calm him down. Jim kept choking on his own sobs and began to hyperventilate. Pam could feel his thin body trembling violently and rocked him back and forth.

When Jim was not able to snap out of his hysteria Pam was forced to call a nurse in. The nurse pulled Pam away and gave Jim a mild sedative, which caused him to calm down and fall unconscious.

“I’m sorry, but he could have really hurt himself if it continued,” The nurse, Lisa, tried to calm her. “It was just a really bad panic attack. Usually, at this stage of heart failure there are signs of anxiety and depression. We’ll get a therapist in to talk to him tomorrow.”

“You have to understand the trauma of seeing a friend die who suffered from the same condition as you,” The on-call doctor mentioned, writing down the incident in Jim’s chart.

Pam collapsed into the nearby chair, feeling the dampness from his tears still on her shirt. She trembeled violently, thinking for the first time that they might not get through this.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans