- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long break. Just not feeling it lately. I have not aquired ownership in my absence. I wish!
“Daaaad! You’re doing it wrong!”

Jim paused in mid-swing with the hammer and glanced over his shoulder. Olivia was standing behind him, hands on her hips and bottom lip jutting out in a pout. Her overalls were streaked with grass stains and to her left Jackson sat near the bushes lining the patio, plucking the larger blades to use as whistles. Boomer lay in the shade nearby, panting away in the heat but still wanting to be near the action.

“Liv, what are you talking about?” Jim dragged the back of his arm across his forehead, wiping the beads of sweat away. Summer had arrived early in Scranton it seemed, and though it was only mid-May, the temps were reaching record highs. Yet, Jim had promised his children a tree house as soon as the weather was nice enough to start building one, so that was that. Olivia hadn’t let him forget for a moment, and Jack was content to mimic anything his older sister said or did.

“The door is too small! I won’t even be able to fit!” Liv was near stomping her feet in protest, ready to pitch a fit. Boomer’s ears perked at the rise in Liv’s voice, but seeing no immediate danger, he lay his head back down with a sigh.

“First of all Olivia Jane Halpert, I am building you a tree house, so this hissy fit you’re trying to throw needs to stop. And honey, this is one of the windows.” Jim raised an eyebrow, as if to challenge his eldest child to continue. Most of the time, Jim Halpert was as big a pushover as any father who loved his children dearly, but it was hot and he was tired. His patience was wearing thin and he was by no means a perfect parent.

Olivia chewed her bottom lip momentarily, contemplating her options while digging a hole in the dirt with the toe of her sneaker. “Sorry Daddy,” she finally muttered. Olivia flopped down into one of the lounge chairs and Boomer jumped up into her lap.

Jim didn’t respond; instead he kept hammering away at the nails as the house slowly began to take shape. This caused Olivia’s scowl to grow until her eyes were so narrowed, she could hardly see. Liv was used to being Daddy’s Little Girl and being snapped at did little for her disposition.

Just then the patio door slid open and all four Halperts instantly had their attention drawn to Pam, holding a pitcher of lemonade in one hand and four cups stacked tightly together in the other. She grinned at Jim, enjoying the look of his mop of unruly brown hair matted to his forehead in the afternoon sun – not to mention the way his t-shirt clung to his back with every movement he made.

“Gavin is finally asleep, so I thought all my hard workers needed a break.” Pam sat down at the patio table and began setting out the glasses as she spoke. Gavin, meanwhile, would miss out on the family moment, as newborn infants have little need for tree houses or lemonade.

“God, I love you,” he told her as soon as he got to his feet, dropping the hammer into the grass. Jim moved toward the patio and scooped Liv up in his arms, tossing her over his shoulder as she giggled and squirmed. Neither could stay upset with the other for long and it was clear that the tiff was all but forgotten already. Jim set her back down after a few moments and tussled Liv’s hair as she beamed up at him.

Pam winked. “You love me because I bring you lemonade? Geez Halpert, if I would have known how easy it would be to get you, I would have done this a long time ago.” She began filling the cups. “Jack honey, come get something to drink. You’ve been out in the sun for too long.”

The four year old obliged very quickly, scampering over to the patio and sliding into the seat Olivia was aiming for, just before his sister could sit down. He made a face at her as she began to protest, grinning wildly.

“Jackson, MOVE!” Liv demanded shrilly. “I was gonna sit there!”

“But ya didn’t,” Jack replied in a sing-song, mocking tone. He stuck his tongue out at Olivia, eliciting quick responses from both parents at once for the behavior of both children.

“Look here guys,” Jim started, taking a sip from his glass before continuing. “I don’t know what’s going on with you two today but if this doesn’t stop I’m going to take that tree house and give it to a kid who is nice to his or her brothers and sisters.”

“Nooooooo!” Naturally, this was the only thing they’d agreed on all day.

“Then stop being so nasty to each other; both of you need to say you’re sorry and to mean it,” Pam added. “Olivia, if you want someone to do something, you ask nicely – you don’t scream at them. And Jackson, you know your sister was going to sit there. It wasn’t nice to take her seat.”

Neither child made a move. Instead, Jack sat and Liv stood, both glowering at the other with their small arms crossed defiantly in front of them. Jim set his glass back on the table and shrugged.

“I guess that’s it then. I’ll have to give this tree house to some kids who listen to their parents.” Jim began walking toward the structure he’d spent the last four hours assembling, toiling in the afternoon heat.

“I’m sorry!” Jack and Liv shouted at the same time, hoping their quick apologies might appease their parents and save their new toy from being given away. They both watched their father with wide-eyed anticipation, waiting to see if he would accept.

Jim and Pam exchanged glances, Jack and Liv looking back and forth from one to the other. “What do you think, Mom?”

“I don’t know, Dad.” Pam poured another glass of lemonade. “I’m not sure they meant it.”

“But I did!” Liv exclaimed, voice still shrill. “I did! Jack, I am sorry I yelled at you!”

“Yeah, I’m sowwy I took yo’w seat, Wiv.” To prove it, Jackson scooted over in the chair, making room for his sister. The older Halpert sat down quickly and both looked expectantly at their father…
Chapter End Notes:
I miss these kids, it's been a while and I hope this isn't too disappointing! I have others that are in various stages of completion, and this is not beta-ed so please forgive me! Reviews are always welcome, positive or otherwise!


IThinkWeBrokeHisBrain is the author of 10 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 10 members. Members who liked Snapshots also liked 1506 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans