- Text Size +
Pam in unpopular at the office. She knows everyone thinks she is some silly receptionist with no talent and so they don’t show up at her art show, and Ryan thinks she is insane, certifiably, the way she stared at him before Jim came back. (came back with Karen, who she so wants to like). Now, all she sees of Jim is from the back of the neck up (is he combing his hair more? Using more product?) and peeks of what exists of his long legs from the knees down, below the seat of his chair. Pam tries not to stare, but she looks at the backs of his brown loafers, thinks about how she doesn’t think he shines them regularly, how they get a little scuffed and well-worn around the heels. Lovely, like a leather sofa that you can just sink into – much unlike her little Swedish couch, so small she can’t even lie down fully, and her thoughts travel without caution towards the idea of squeezing on to the couch with someone. For a second her eyes well up – isn’t allergy season over?- as she imagines a pair of work trousers, creased from a day’s work, curled around her pencil skirt as she and her fantasy man (who does not seem to comb his hair very much) kick off their shoes and try squeeze on the sofa – a pair of sensible pumps and loafers, next to each other by her door.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans