- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Summary - Pam wakes up.

Full o' fluff. :o)
**********************************************

Pam opened her eyes groggily and looked around, trying to process and make sense of her surroundings. She was in a hospital room. An IV pole was standing next to her bed. A bag of blood was hanging from it. The blood was flowing into an IV in her neck. Her stomach hurt. Her head hurt. She kind of felt like throwing up.

She looked down and saw Jim in a chair next to the bed, bent over, fast asleep, his head next to her legs.

“Jim…” she whispered. He didn’t stir. She tried again.

“Jim?” She moved her legs to nudge him. He jumped and opened his eyes.

“Hey,” he said with a weak smile. “You gave us a bit of a scare.” He got her glasses from the bedside table and slipped them onto her face.

She stretched a bit. “What happened?”

“You lost a lot of blood in the surgery. They had to give you transfusions.”

“Oh… that explains the…” She pointed to the bag of blood.

“Yeah. Gross, huh?”

“Yep,” she sighed, closing her eyes again. Seconds later, her eyes flew open again.

“Oh, God, the baby!”

“He’s okay,” he reassured her. “He’s in the NICU, but Abby and the doctor both said he’s doing well. Here.” He fished a Polaroid out of his pocket and handed it to her. She studied it closely, her eyes tearing up as she looked at her son, dwarfed by the monitors and tubes.

"James Daniel 'J.D.' Halpert, 12/30/2009. 6:37 AM. 3 lb. 6 oz." was written underneath the photo.

“Oh, God…” she whispered.

“I know… it looks pretty scary,” he said softly. “They had to put the tube in his throat to help him breathe, but the doctor said that he should be off the ventilator in a few days. Really, he looks worse than he is. I got to see him, and he opened his eyes and looked at me. It was pretty cute. I even gave him his first nickname.”

“What?”

Jim grinned. “Tennis Ball Head.” Pam laughed and then grimaced in pain.

“Oh, God, don’t make me laugh,” she said. “…Tennis Ball Head?”

“Well, yeah. His head’s about the size of a tennis ball. And fuzzy… He’s beautiful though, isn’t he?”

Pam looked at the photo again and smiled. “Yeah… he is.” She looked up at Jim. “We do good work.”

Carol walked into the room then.

“Hi, Pam. How’re you doing?”

“Ugh,” she responded.

“Pain? Nausea?”

“Both.”

“Okay, I’ll get you some more pain meds. And I’ll get you some ice chips. Be right back.” She left the room and came back a moment later, handing Pam a cup of ice. Pam crunched on a few pieces as Carol injected some medicine into her IV. Pam felt the effects almost immediately and lay back on the pillows, sighing.

“Ohhh… that’s good.”

Jim snickered. Pam opened one eye to glare at him.

“Shut up,” she muttered. “Hey, can I go see J.D.?” Carol shook her head.

“Not right now. You need to recover a little more. You can probably see him this afternoon.” Pam nodded. Another nurse walked into the room.

“Hi, Janet,” Carol said. “Pam, this is Janet. She’ll be your post-partum nurse.”

“You’re leaving?”

“Yep. You’re in good hands.”

“Thanks.” Pam closed her eyes again and fell back against the pillows. Janet chuckled.

“Looks like the pain meds are kicking in.” She patted Pam’s leg. “I’ll be back in a bit to check on you. Get some rest.”

“’Kay,” Pam mumbled as Janet left the room. Jim laughed and stood up, taking her cup of ice and glasses, and placed them on the bedside table.

“Hey,” he said, leaning over close to her. “I’m going to run home and get some stuff for you.” He kissed her gently. “Get some sleep,” he whispered. "See you later... Mom.” Pam smiled.

“Mom,” she sighed. “I love it. See ya... Dad.”

“Yep,” Jim grinned. “Sounds good.”

**********************************************
Chapter End Notes:

Pam will get to go see J.D. in the next chapter. I'll get it up within a couple days... I hope. My work schedule just got insane. But on the bright side, my dad and sister are home from the hospital. :o)


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans