- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Summary - J.D. reaches a milestone.
**********************************************

Over the next few days, Pam and Jim fell into a routine: Pam had insisted that Jim go home to sleep, so every morning Jim would arrive at the hospital at 5:30 and wake Pam up. Pam would spend 20 minutes pumping, and then Jim would bring her milk down to the NICU for them to store, allowing Pam to sleep. He sat quietly with J.D., reading, until Dr. Grandy and his team arrived to do their daily rounds. Jim diligently took notes on the daily reports, and later relayed them to Pam, and then sent update e-mails to their families.

During the days, Pam and Jim spent their time in the NICU, talking softly to J.D. when he was awake, and researching baby gear online while he slept. Every three hours, Pam would pump and store her milk. The nurses were quite impressed at the amount of milk Pam had managed to produce in just a few days.

On day three of J.D.’s life, Pam was discharged from the hospital. She and Jim went home, and while Pam napped, Jim went to Babies R Us to purchase a breast pump and other necessities.

That afternoon, while they were in the NICU, Abby and Dr. Grandy came in.

“Hi, Pam,” he said. “I heard you got discharged today.”

“Yup.”

“Well, I have some good news for you guys. J.D. is ready to come off the ventilator.”

“Really?!” Pam asked excitedly.

“Really. We’re going to put him on CPAP, which will deliver pressurized oxygen through his nose to remind him to breathe. But he’ll be breathing on his own, so it’s a big step forward.” Abby came over with a supply cart.

“Abby, get ready to bag him.”

“Ready.”

“Alright, here we go.”

Dr. Grandy pulled out the tube, and Abby placed a mask over J.D.’s nose and mouth, squeezing the attached bag.

“Come on, buddy,” she said. “Make some noise.” Jim and Pam held their breaths and squeezed each other’s hands.

J.D. squirmed suddenly and let out a small wail. Jim and Pam sighed with relief.

“That’s what we like to hear,” Abby said with a smile.

“I don’t think I’ve ever been so happy to hear a baby cry before,” Jim said.

Dr. Grandy listened to J.D.’s lungs, and Abby attached the CPAP to J.D.’s nose. He stretched and smacked his lips, as if he was trying to figure out why his mouth felt different.

“Alright,” Dr. Grandy said. “Everything looks great. I’ll be by later to check on him, but it looks like he’s doing fine.” He left the room.

“So, Pam, would you like to hold him now?” Abby asked.

“Oh, my God, really?!”

“Mm-hmm. I think he’s ready.” She pulled a rocking chair next to J.D.’s bed. Pam sat down, and Jim sat down in a chair next to her.

“We’re going to do what’s called ‘kangaroo care’,” Abby said. “I’m going to put J.D. on your chest, underneath your shirt, and that’s so he can have skin-to-skin contact, and your body heat will keep him warm.” She gingerly lifted J.D. from his bed and brought him over to Pam. With some maneuvering, Abby slipped J.D. under the neckline of Pam’s shirt, and Pam smiled as she felt his little body relax into her chest.

“Look at that,” Abby said, pointing to the monitor. “His heart rate is already going down, and his oxygen level is up.” She smiled as she headed toward the door. “I’ll be back in a bit to check in.”

Pam rocked in the chair, looking down at J.D.

“Wow,” she said, awed.

“Wow,” Jim echoed. He reached out to lay his hand on J.D.’s back. “My God, he’s tiny.”

“Such a keen observation,” Pam laughed. They sat in contented silence for a few moments, and then Pam’s eyes suddenly widened.

“Um… Jim?”

“What?”

“I don’t know if it’s because I’m holding him or what, but, um… I’m leaking,” she said, embarrassed. “Do you want to take him while I pump?”

“Oh, let me think about that for a sec. Yes.” Pam laughed and pressed the call button, and Abby walked in a moment later.

“What’s up?” she asked.

“Jim needs to hold him while I pump.”

“Okay, no problem. Jim, the easiest way to do this is for you to take your shirt off.”

“Oookay…” Looking a bit uncomfortable, Jim peeled off his shirt. Pam whistled.

“Yeah, baby.”

“Oh, be quiet,” Jim said, rolling his eyes.

Abby laughed and gently took J.D. from Pam and brought him over to Jim. She got him settled against Jim’s chest and placed a blanket over him.

“You good?” she asked.

“So good,” Jim murmured with a soft smile.

“Alright, I’ll give you guys some privacy. Call if you need anything.” Abby left the room and gently closed the door behind her.

As Pam pumped, she and Jim talked quietly, both amazed at how casual they could be while Pam was doing something so private.

“Is this weird for you?” she asked.

“What?”

“This,” she said, gesturing to the pump. “Me being attached to a… milking machine. Like a cow.”

Jim laughed. “Yeah, it’s a little strange,” he admitted. “But it doesn’t gross me out or anything. I’m used to it now. Besides, it benefits J.D., so it’s a good weird.”

“You sure?”

“Yup. Besides…” he said with a sly grin. “It looks fantastic.

“J.D., your dad is weird.”

She finished pumping and stored her milk in the small freezer that Bob Vance and Phyllis had given to them. She walked over and placed a soft kiss on J.D.’s fuzzy head.

“I hope you can start eating soon,” she said. “Our freezer’s getting full.” She kissed Jim’s cheek. “Who would’ve thought that our most useful baby gift would come from Vance Refrigeration?”

She sat in her chair and watched Jim as he held their son. She had always known that Jim would be an amazing dad, but seeing it herself was so much better. She reached into her bag and pulled out her sketchbook. She turned her chair so that she was facing Jim, and smiling contentedly, she began to draw.

**********************************************
Chapter End Notes:

Keep up the reviews... it's what motivates me! It was much easier to write all the scary stuff.

A preemie on CPAP


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans