- Text Size +
----------------



“Is it poison?” Ryan asked.

Creed also came closer to Dwight, looking at the material. “What kind of poison is it? Rat? Cyanide? Is it from an animal? Snakes? Spiders? Gila monsters?”

“No…what?” Dwight sputtered. “No, old man. It’s not poison. But the coffee is not decaf, like they say on the canister.”

Jim rolled his eyes, “Really, Dwight? Those are the results of your testing?”

“Well, that and the fact that the pretzel wasn’t poisonous. Just very fatty.”

“Oh for God’s sake!” Stanley huffed.

Michael clapped his hand to get their attention. “C’mon people! We still have a murder to solve. Maybe two if Meredith doesn’t wake up. Ideas?”

“How about some of us stay here with Meredith and keep an eye on Toby’s body while the rest go back to Toby’s desk again to search for clues.” Creed suggested.

“That is brilliant, Clue-less guy!” Andy tried to high-five Creed only to be met with a blank stare. “Get it? Because you quit Clue so now you’re Clue-less. Still nothing? Okay then….”

Stanley and Phyllis spoke up at the same time, “I’m staying here.”

Michael nodded. “Okay, so you two, Erin, Oscar, Kevin, and Kelly stay here and the rest of us go back there.”

Ryan hesitated, “Oh, I think I should stay here, Michael. To…uh…keep an eye on things.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Ryan. You’re coming with me so I can protect you. Or you can protect me.” Then he dragged Ryan with him and the rest followed.

Toby's desk looked different now. There were some papers and files strewn on the floor and a couple of drawers were opened.

Dwight made everyone put on gloves. After a few minutes of going through one of the drawers, Pam came upon an inconspicuous-looking file folder and started scanning it like she did the others. She wasn’t prepared, however, for the contents of the folder. Inside were printouts of emails from Toby to her, emails that he apparently never sent because she never received any of them. The content of those emails ranged anywhere from words of devotion to begging her to come with him on a planned trip to Costa Rica later that year, to what he thought of Jim not being good enough for her.

Printouts of other emails were in there as well. One in particular made Pam gasp out loud and drew the attention of the other five people. That email was a series of correspondence between Toby and David Wallace about the transfer of Holly to the Nashua branch.

Jim looked at the content and his expression grew dim. “I can’t believe this!”

Pam couldn’t say anything but nodded. “I…I never suspected anything like this. I mean, it’s Toby!” Jim thought better than to point out some examples for her but in his mind, everything made more sense now regarding Toby’s silent hostility toward him.

But neither one could say anything more because Michael already had his hand on the emails between Toby and David. He looked crushed as he continued reading why David suddenly transferred Holly and let Toby, his enemy, come back. Dwight, Angela and Ryan glanced through some of the content and were unsure what to make of this.
After a moment, Jim took Pam’s hand and said, “C’mon, we should get back to the whole group and tell them what we found.”

When everyone was once again gathered near the reception’s desk, Jim was about to summarize what they found in Toby’s desk. He stopped when he saw Phyllis, Erin, Kelly, Oscar, Stanley and Kevin look at one another, as if wanting to say something.

Jim put his hands in his pockets, “What?”

When no one said anything, both Michael and Dwight spoke up, “C’mon, just say whatever you were going to say.”

Oscar finally stepped forward. “I should have said something about this earlier. I saw Jim going into Toby’s house a couple days ago. It was after work when he stopped by. They were talking pretty heatedly before they went inside Toby’s place. I left soon after so I didn’t see when Jim left.”

When the attention shifted to Jim, Pam quickly thought back to the day in question. All she remembered was that day when Jim left to grab her something from the store, ice cream or pickles because of her sudden craving. He’d mentioned he’d be right back but it was over an hour before he’d returned.

Michael looked over at Jim, as if waiting for him to deny Oscar’s accusation, but Jim just looked around the room at everyone. “I did go to see Toby, but it’s not what you guys think.”

Ryan held up the folder, “Well, according to this, you have plenty of motives, Jim. Especially since Toby still had the hots for your fiancée. That must have pissed you off.”

“What?” Phyllis asked and the contents of the folder were passed around to everybody.

Kevin looked at Jim, “Dude, I never would have thought you did it.”

Creed nodded. “Well played, my tall friend. Well played.”

“No. You guys are not listening to me.” Jim was exasperated. “I did not kill Toby. I didn’t know about these emails until now. The reason why I went to talk to him was…” a quick look at Pam, “…about David promoting me but Toby never send out the paperwork like he said he did.”


----------------

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans