- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Summary: 11-year-old Mollie is a little... loopy.

“Mollie? Mollie, sweetie, wake up,” Pam said gently, smoothing her daughter’s hair off of her forehead. “It’s all over. You’re all done.”

Mollie’s eyes fluttered as she muttered something incoherent.

“She is really out of it,” Jim whispered, chuckling lightly. Pam smiled and tried again.

“Mollie, honey, the operation went really well. They took your appendix out, and you’re going to be okay. But you need to wake up now.”

Mollie slowly blinked her eyes as she drifted into consciousness, struggling to focus on the blurry images of her parents.

“It’s all done?” she asked groggily. She reached down and felt the bandage on her abdomen. “Is my stomach still there?”

Pam looked at her quizzically. “Your stomach?”

“Yeah… is it still there?”

“Yes, sweetie, your stomach is still there. They took your appendix out.”

Mollie nodded and closed her eyes again. A moment later, they flew back open.

“Where am I?” she demanded. “I can’t see... glasses. I need glasses.”

Pam and Jim exchanged worried glances as Pam fished Mollie’s glasses out of her purse.

“Don’t worry,” the nurse reassured them as Pam slipped Mollie’s glasses onto her face. “It’s normal for her to be disoriented. It’ll pass.”

Mollie continued to look around the hospital room in bewilderment. She held her hand out in front of her. “Is this real? Is the hand real?” Pam reached out and took Mollie’s hands in her own.

“Yes honey, it’s real. You’re in the hospital. You had to have your appendix taken out, but you’re going to be fine.”

“I feel weird…”

“I know you do, sweetie. The medicine they gave you makes you feel weird. It’s okay.”

Mollie looked back and forth between her parents, and then let her head fall back into the pillows of her bed.

“Okay,” she mumbled. “’Night.”

Jim gave a small laugh as he sat on the edge of the hospital bed. “Wow, that was weird,” he said. Pam nodded in agreement.

“It was like she was drunk!”

Jim nodded, and then laughed again.

“We’d better watch her… make sure she doesn’t set her hair on fire.”

Chapter End Notes:

This chapter is based on my own reaction to anesthesia... and this YouTube video.

Reviews are almost as good as the Jim Bobblehead!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans