- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for my first official beta, PamelaMorgan Halpert, for her kind words and suggestions! I think it made this story so much better! And thanks to those of you who reviewed. Each of them made my day. I'll keep going if you'll keep reading!
Jim handed the tickets to the lady at the Maid of the Mist booth and took Pam’s hand in his as they made their way down the ramp. Pam looked up at him and smiled.

“This is crazy, right?” She laughed.

Jim smiled at her and shrugged. “Are you having second thoughts?”

“Are you kidding me? And go back to my mom? Your brothers? Everyone at Dunder Mifflin? Not a chance. Not yet anyway.”

The boat left the dock and Jim wrapped his arms around Pam. “I’m ready whenever you are,” Jim said, kissing the top of her head.

She leaned up and kissed him on the lips. “I’m ready,” she said.

They ran over to the captain’s booth and Jim knocked on the window. They both took off the poncho’s that they were given because even though the mist of the falls was about to soak them to the core, Pam did not want to be wearing a blue poncho when she said “I do”. The captain followed them to the front of the boat with his bible.
The roar of the falls filled and air and the mist was falling on them like a light rain. Jim handed the rings to the Captain.

“Repeat after me,” the Captain began.

“Wait,” Jim said, turning to Pam. “There is nothing traditional about this day so far and I’d kinda like to say my own vows. Is that okay?”

Tears filled Pam’s eyes as she nodded vigorously. “Yeah,” she said. “I’d like that.”

“Ok, go ahead then,” the Captain replied.

Jim took Pam’s hands in his. “Pam, you said that getting married on this boat was crazy and I guess it is a little but it also just… it just makes sense. The first time that I ever told anyone how I felt about you was on a boat. And unfortunately it was Michael that I told but he actually gave me the best advice I’ve ever received. He told me to never, ever give up. The sad thing is… I did give up. I ran away because if I couldn’t be with you, then I couldn’t bare to see anyone else with you. I eventually did find my way back to you and somehow by the grace of God, when I did, you wanted to be with me too. Pam, you just get me. You can tell my mood by looking at the back of my neck. And you just always know when I want to talk and when I don’t. When I need a hug and when I just need five minutes to myself. You can always make me laugh and it is true what I told your dad. When you walk into a room, you just take my breath away. I have wanted to marry you since the day I laid eyes on you. I promise that I will never run away from you again. No matter how hard it gets. I will dry your every tear and try everything I can to make sure that I am not the reason for those tears. I will support your every decision, no matter how crazy it seems at the time. I will love you every single minute of every single day. And I will make sure that our babies know just how special their mother is and that you are the glue that holds us all together.”

He took the ring from The Captain and placed it at the top of Pam’s ring finger. “You have inspired me to go after my dreams but it didn’t take me long to realize that you are my only dream. I pledge to be your husband from this day forward. Let’s make of our two lives one life. I want you for today, tomorrow, and forever. I, James Duncan Halpert, take you, Pamela Morgan Beesly, as my friend and love, beside me and apart from me, in laughter and in tears, in conflict and tranquility, asking that you be no other than yourself, loving what I know of you, trusting what I do not know yet, in all the ways that life my find us.”

He pushed the ring down Pam’s finger and she wiped away the tears streaming down her face.

The Captain handed Pam Jim’s band and she put it on his finger.

“Jim, you are the most unselfish person that I’ve ever known. Years ago, you told me you were in love with me and then you just backed off. You just waited until I came to the realization that I was about to marry the wrong person. I used to wish that I had told you that night that I felt the same, but now I think it all worked out like it was supposed to. You supported me when I went to art school, even though it sucked being away from each other for so long. You supported me when I walked out on my job because I had just spent days putting together the new copier and I didn’t think I could handle being a receptionist for one day longer. You not only bought me a house but set up the garage as an art studio. You know me. You’re my best friend and I love you so much. I promise you that I will show you everyday how important you are to me. I’ll be the best wife to you and mother to our children that I possibly can be. You are such an amazing person and I want to learn from you everyday.”

Pam took Jim’s band out of The Captain’s hand and placed it on Jim’s finger. “I have dreamed my whole life of having someone as wonderful as you love me the way you do. I give myself to you as your wife, and I promise here to treasure for all of my days the love we celebrate today. Let’s bring together our lives and find ourselves anew each day. I, Pamela Morgan Beesly, take you James Duncan Halpert, as my friend and love, beside me and apart from me, in laughter and tears, in conflict and tranquility, asking that you be no other than yourself, loving what I know of you, trusting what I do not know yet, in all the ways that life may find us.”

She pushed the ring the rest of the way down his finger and squeezed his hands.

They both turned to the Captain. “Now you will feel no rain,” he said. “For each of you will be sanctuary to the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other. Now there is no isolation for you. Now there is no more loneliness. Now you are two, but there is only one life in front of you. I now pronounce you husband and wife.”

He turned to Jim with a smile on his face. “And you may now kiss your bride.”

Jim’s hands were around Pam immediately. His lips on hers, with more love than he’d ever felt. The mist was falling all around them and some of the other people on the boat started clapping.

Pam took Jim’s face in her hands. “I’m can’t believe I’m your wife,” she giggled. “We just got married!”

He leaned down to kiss her again. “It’s about time,” he laughed.

Pam looked around. “You know, it’s really beautiful out here. It’s almost a shame that we missed the whole ride.”

“Ehhh,” Jim said. “We can ride the boat again. How many times do you get to get married?” Pam laughed and Jim continued. “Oh, right,” he said. “We get to go do it again!”

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans