- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Whoops! This chapter got deleted by accident but I fixed it :) Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
“It’s always sunny,” Pam said, looking over at Julia who was kitting in a large easy chair. Julia glanced up to see her granddaughter with paint smeared across her cheek. Pam had been painting for a long time and was close to finishing a brilliant landscape.

“I love sunny weather,” Julia sighed, staring out the window. “Time moves differently here than on Earth. Years can pass there where it only feels like a few days here.”

“Really?” Pam raised her eyebrows in surprise and dipped her paintbrush in the most vibrant green color she had ever seen. “I might go visit them again.”

“This is not healthy,” Julia announced, putting her knitting down. “When I left Earth I continued going down to see my family and friends but I was just torturing myself. There is a reason we need to move on dear.”

“Just a few more times,” Pam whispered, knowing it was a lie. She went down to Earth as often as she could, often staying for days. The mundane things of life suddenly became everything to her, from Jim buttoning up his work clothes to Ellie sleeping. She had sobbed to herself when Ellie had smiled at Jim for the first time.

Before Julia could say anything, Pam crossed to the front door and the next thing she knew she was in their home.

Pam walked through the halls, hands tracing the paneling until she hit the creepy clown painting. A soft smile spread across her face and she traced a finger through the dust, not leaving a mark.

“Hey mom,” She heard Jim’s voice from the kitchen. “No, I’m fine. I’m actually making dinner. Some kind of pasta thing on the back of the box, looked good and more importantly easy.”

Pam stepped through the door to the kitchen and grinned at the sight of Jim, still in work clothes stirring at something in a large frying pan.

“She’s great, Ellie said her first word,” Jim smiled and Pam felt her heart jump into her throat at the small happy expression. “Yeah, she said ‘da’ which I’m assuming means daddy or she’s suddenly a gangster baby.”

Pam felt a giggle slip past her lips and with one more glance at her husband she moved into her daughter’s room. The walls were the same soft pink she had painted just months before her death and the crib had flowers hand painted on it.

“Hi darling,” She whispered, grinning as the baby opened her eyes Jim’s eyes. “I missed you.”

Pam rested her hand on Ellie’s forehead and smiled when she felt the warmth spread through her fingers. Ellie smiled brightly, her smile and stared up at her mother.

“I hear that you said your first word,” She cooed, tickling Ellie’s feet and listening to the baby shriek with laughter. “Can you try to say mommy?”

Ellie bounced lightly and let out another squeal of laugher. Pam turned her head towards the door when she heard heavy footsteps in the hall.

“Hey Ellie,” Jim grinned at his daughter. “What are you laughing at silly girl?”

Pam stepped back, watching as Jim picked up their daughter gently. Her heart constricted and she glanced to the right, freezing in shock.

A silver door with gold trim stood against the wall where she had painted pink flowers. A tall man with clear blue eyes and short black hair stood, smiling.

“Who are you?” Pam asked, jumping in surprise.

“My name is Owen Platt,” The man said, voice smooth. “And this is the door to your own heaven. I am here to help you move on.”

“I don’t want to,” Pam whispered, moving behind her husband who was oblivious to their presence. Ellie had fallen silent and was staring at the man. “Please let me stay.”

“I cannot force you to go Pam, but there is nothing left for you to do here,” Owen said with a small smile. “You can move onto your own paradise, and soon they might come to you.”

“Nothing left for me to do?” Pam almost shrieked, making Ellie wince and cry again. “I have left my newborn daughter with my husband, I can’t leave them! I can’t wait until my daughter’s life is over before I see her again.”

“But how long will she be able to see you?” Owen asked softly, earning a shocked stare. Pam spun around on her heel and dashed through the house to the front door, jumping out and landing on her knees in the farmhouse. She glanced back, breath shaky and tears slipping down her cheeks.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans