- Text Size +

Pam had been playing online poker for an hour and a half, praying that the phone would ring, or the building would light on fire and they'd have to evacuate, or her desk chair would swallow her into the floor. Boredom had become part of her routine during the year she'd been at Dunder Mifflin, and she watched the second hand slowly tick its way to five o'clock, when she could safely grab her coat and purse and run, out of her industrial-lit office space with no windows.

She had been especially bored today, and wouldn't have even minded if Michael had declared it National Strawberry Daiquiri Day or Dwight had decided to run a lecture based on their office's lack of preparedness for a zombie invasion. Any of those things would have been better than what she was doing, which was losing her fake money to other bored office workers across the world. She was debating pulling the fire alarm when the door to the office opened, and she looked up to see a man walk in, a smirk on his face and his hands jammed into his pockets.

She quickly closed out of the poker game, wanting to look productive for whoever this was, and her eyes landed on a post-it stuck to her computer monitor:

Mon. Oct. 22- new sales rep starts.

He shuffled to her desk, looking down at her quizzically, and said, "Hi, I'm Jim. Jim Halpert?"

"New sales rep, right?" she asked, smiling.

"Yep. You got it."

"I'm Pam. Pam Beesley."

"Nice to meet you." He pulled a hand out from his pocket and held it over the divider, shaking hers.

"So…" he started, glancing around the office, "Anything I should know about this place before I get started?"

"Well," she said, tilting her head towards the closest island of desks, "All I can say is, enjoy this moment, because your life will never be the same after you meet your desk mate, Dwight."

He looked at her curiously, then over at Dwight, who was trying to put together some kind of weapon at his desk. He glanced back at her, suddenly completely understanding.

Pam felt like she should have said more, but instead, she just smiled, watching as his own lips curved upwards. They stayed silent, and Pam noticed that he made no move to walk towards his new desk.

"Jimbo!" Michael exclaimed from behind them, and Pam rolled her eyes, shaking her head. "Welcome to Dunder Mifflin!"

Against her better judgment, Pam looked up, thinking all at once, "Poor guy", "Why, Michael why?!", and "Oh God, he has a megaphone."

"I see you've met our receptionist, Pam. Pamalamadingdong. Paaaaamola." He stated, and she could see Jim trying not to laugh at his imitation of the Ricola commercial.

"Yep." Was all Jim said in response, and as Michael pulled him away, he glanced back at her, sharing a secret joke at his complete ridiculousness.

She turned back to her computer, re-opening online poker. Five minutes later, an instant message popped up on her screen.

JHalpert: This is going to be interesting, isn't it?

PBeesley: Oh, you have no idea.

She smiled, thinking that maybe this wasn't such a bad day after all.



NYCBound91 is the author of 2 other stories.



You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans