- Text Size +
Pam laughed at Dwight’s overdramatic proclamation that these fake diseases had destroyed the office’s chance for a better health care plan, but stopped short when she caught sight of Jim’s stricken face. Of course. Leave it to him to believe Dwight and feel guilty over their prank.

“Hey,” she whispered to him as she passed by his desk, contriving yet another excuse to leave the phones. “Some speech Dwight made, yeah?” She wanted him to realize that it was still all a big joke, that Dwight was just being Dwight with his crazy notions.

Jim gave a short nod, seemingly engrossed in inputting numbers in his spreadsheet.

Pam tried again, “Hey, how about taking a break soon? I’ll spring for the grape soda.”

“No, can’t. I need to finish up these expense reports.” Jim’s face looked a bit shuttered and Pam couldn’t get a read on him, but expense reports? That seemed like a bunch of bull to her.

Pam gave up and walked back to her desk, drumming her fingers on the edge of the counter while she idly pulled up Solitaire, her mind not really into the game. She felt bad that Jim felt bad; she was annoyed that Dwight managed to ruffle Jim’s feather, that Jim was so nice that he fell for Dwight’s guilt trip.

She pulled up her instant messaging program. “Halpert,” she sent. “It was a harmless prank.” She waited for the ping of a reply, fingers drumming even faster on the counter.

Finally, “What if we end up with a crappy healthcare plan because of it though? You know Stanley has high blood pressure.”

“Dwight can’t actually control the healthcare plan. You know that, right?”

“Angela has all her cats to think about.”

She snorted in laughter, lifting her eyes to meet his across the room. She quickly typed, “You know that the employee healthcare plan doesn’t include cats, right?”

His reply: “Who knows, maybe the one we would’ve gotten might’ve covered them.”

“Yeah and maybe it would’ve included insurance for Dwight’s bobbleheads too.”

She watched him crack a smile from the corner of her eye. When he straightened up, tapped closed his spreadsheet and stretched across his desk to reach Dwight’s pencil cup, casually emptying it across the floor, she knew he was feeling much better.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans