- Text Size +
Two.



She’s drunk, he kept thinking. She didn’t mean that. He tried to make his body realize this, but he couldn’t stop trembling and yearning for more. Her kiss had only lasted half a second, but this feeling was bound to last him a lifetime. He cursed himself for not being ready for it. He didn’t want to take advantage of her of course, but he wished he had seen it coming so he could at least have wrapped his arms around her. He stuck his hands in his pockets, as deep as they would go, practically ripping through the seams of his pants, just to restrain himself from pulling her back in. He stood paralyzed, frozen by her essence as she skipped to Angela’s car humming an unrecognizable tune. Pam pulled open the car door and sat down, as he prepared to continue standing there like an idiot, just trying to comprehend the magnitude of what just happened. The car didn’t move, and about a minute later the door burst open as Pam stumbled out and threw up in the bushes. He heard a snide remark from Angela, as she sped away. Pam collapsed on the grass, clutching her knees and started to cry. He had to do something.

“Hey,” he said, squatting down next to her.

“Go, Jim. I don’t want you to see me like this,” she replied, choking on her words as stuttering as she vomited again.

His hands came out of the depths of his pockets to rub her back and pull her up.

“Don’t say that. You could never do anything to make me not want to see you.” He held her arm as he steadied her up and walked her to his car. “I’ll take you home. I won’t even care if you throw up in my car. Just please, promise me that you’re gonna be okay once you get inside?”

She shrugged. Even in her drunken state, she wasn’t sure if she would be okay. And she wasn’t thinking about the alcohol. She wasn’t sure if she was okay with Roy. Would he even be home tonight? Did she even want him to be home?

“Okay,” he said, trying to ease her. “Let’s just get you back.”

He opened his door for her and gently lowered her down, pushing her hair behind her head so it didn’t get caught in her vomit stained lips. His heart was throbbing at the prospect of everything that had happened tonight—Pam kissed me. I held her. I brushed her hair. It was everything he could have asked for…just, not in the right circumstances by any means. He was careful not to take his touching any further than friendly support, worried that she might remember the next morning. Of course, he didn’t think that she was going to remember much tomorrow morning.

She fell asleep within two minutes, lulled to calm by the steady vibrations of the car wheels and the pavement. He turned down the radio and looked over at her constantly. At one point, he was so fixated on the way her eyes were so lightly closed and the small cavity that her lips formed as they gently pressed together, that he had to swerve to avoid an oncoming car. As the shrill of beeping ran through his ear, all that mattered at that moment was whether or not that sound had woken her up. Wow, he thought to himself, driving with Drunk Pam is probably more dangerous than driving drunk.

He pulled up to her house, not wanting to turn off the car and especially not wanting this night to end. He leaned back in his seat for a couple minutes, just trying to take in everything that was happening. He wanted to analyze everything about the way she looked tonight, etching it into his memory to play back for the next few weeks. He started with her feet; crossed over each other with the right one pointing slightly up. Her legs, with a tear in the stockings that peeked through to a series of four freckles in the shape of a rhombus. He was just getting to her knees when he saw the lights flicker on in her house. Shit, Roy.

He got out of the car and opened her door, unbuckling her seatbelt and carefully lifting her up, trying so desperately not to wake his sleeping angel. She groggily opened her eyes, and stepped out, leaning on him for support. She tripped on the driveway, scaring him half to death as he gripped her so hard he thought he might have broken her arm. He decided it would be much easier to just carry her the rest of the way, so he pulled her up into his arms as her head fell against his shoulder and legs folded over his wrist. He couldn’t think about the fact that he was now carrying the love of the life to the door, for the sheer impossibility of the situation would shock him into dropping her. Instead, he had a mission. He had to carry her to the door safely. Think about Grandma, Jim. Or laundry. Or Michael Scott. Just don’t think about the fact that the only woman you’ve ever needed is lying helplessly in your arms, nuzzled against your shoulder, and practically pushing her breast into your chest. Don’t. Think. About. It.

He didn’t have to think about it when Roy opened the door, sending him back to his harsh reality that this was not his life, and it never would be.

“She had too much?” Roy grunted, seemingly unbothered by the fact that Jim was holding her. Jim wanted to slap him at his oblivion. No, she clearly had the perfect amount as she passed out in my arms with vomit dripping from her lips, he thought.

“Yeah. She threw up a couple of times. Just take care of her, okay? She could probably use some water.”

“Don’t tell me how to treat my fiancée, Halpert,” he said defensively. Jim soon realized that he too was drunk.

“Er, Okay..well, here you go..” he said, trying to pass Pam to Roy in the same position. He didn’t open his arms for her.

“PAM!” Roy screamed. “SNAP OUT OF IT!”

She opened her eyes, shaking her head and grabbing her forehead amidst a series of groans and whimpers. Jim bent down, lowering her feet to the floor and holding her shoulders as he straightened her out.

"Take it easy, Pam," he said, waving as he turned away and heard the door slammed shut. He hoped to God that their bedroom was on the first floor, and that Pam wouldn't have to walk upstairs tonight. He mentally punched himself for actually thinking about their bedroom, confirming that it did in fact exist, a facet of her life that he had always blissfully ignored.

He heard screaming from their house, but couldn't make out what Roy was yelling at her or what she was yelling back. He pulled away, for fear that if he stayed and they continued screaming, he would probably break down the door and do something really regrettable and possibly even illegal. He drove home alone that night, something that he was used to, but he kept hallucinating Pam sleeping in that seat next to him.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans