- Text Size +
Into the Belly of the Beast

Wow, thought Pam. This is unbelievable. The second they passed into the main room of Banana Slings, past the bouncers and through the entryway, her every sense was assaulted. The music was loud and pumping, the lights were flashing and, and… it smelled like lavender!! She had kind of been expecting the smell of sweat and beer… like when she had had to pick up a drunken Roy at his cousins bachelor party at a strip club. Roy wouldn’t even come outside… she had had to go in and get him. What a horrible experience, and what a fight they had the next day about that. For the three minutes she was in there, it was stinky, gross and, well, ugh.

This was kind of nice. It was a huge circular room with a stage in the middle of the far wall, with a wide catwalk to a smaller stage in the very middle, and two bars on either side. Lots of chrome and lots of booths, couches and tables. But the one thing that really caught Pam’s eye were the alcoves all along the sides. If you walked up a couple of stairs to each side of the entrance, there were probably twenty alcoves in the outer wall. Each was set with an archway at the entrance with ornate scrollwork at the top. It looked like there were benches set a few feet back into the alcove… the bench being wide enough for two. As they walked to a free table and couch where Phyllis and her bridesmaids were sitting, Pam looked back at the alcoves.

Those remind me of confessionals. Ha. I bet no one is confessing much in those… wait… I bet they are.

Kelly noticed Pam’s stare and giggled, “So Pam, checking out the lap dance areas for later?” As Pam raised her eyebrows and tried to speak, Kelly ordered shots and Long Island Iced Teas for everyone in their group. “Pam, I promise… you’re going to have a great time tonight!”

When the waiter came with the watermelon shots (of course, Kelly), and the drinks, the lights came down a bit, and the MC was highlighted in a bright spotlight. Pam settled back into the couch and took a long sip on her Long Island Iced Tea. To her left, Kelly was on the edge of her seat, leaning across Pam to grab a few dollar bills from Meredith on her right. The lights swirled, red, blue, and purple. The music was pounding and thumping. And the drinks went right to Pam’s head.

As the first stripper hit the stage, a thin, but well-built Latino, the crowd went wild. He really knew how to slither and twirl. Kelly poked Meredith and squealed, “Hey, it’s Oscar!” Meredith laughed, “Don’t you wish… right Pam”? They all smiled and smiled. “Wouldn’t THAT make the Accounting Department a little more interesting”, said Kelly.

As this dancer strutted about, the MC announced another dancer. “It’s ‘double trouble’ tonight ladies”, he jibed. Both Meredith and Kelly whooped and clapped as a big, beefy stud skipped to the beat across the stage and gave the smaller Latino dancer the two ‘finger-guns’ salute as they concentrated on a crowd of women at the left of the stage. The new dancer was big and had probably been a little more muscular in his younger days, but was still really cute and had a great smile. The crowd was really cheering as he bumped his was through his routine.

Meredith nudged Pam. “Remind you of anyone?” she giggled. Pam good naturedly shouted back, “Gee, whoever do you mean?” and winked. But Pam’s mind was racing.

I’m so done with big and beefy. Tall, lanky, trim. Him. Jim.


Pam took another long pull on her drink and hit ice cube. Uh, oh she thought. Time for second drink she chuckled. Wow, it’s a little warm in here.

The crowd was cheering, dancers were gyrating in the swirling lights and the music was really loud. Pam slumped a little against the arm of the couch and her mind was wandering. How could she have messed things up with Jim so badly? She should have called him while he was in Stamford. But now he’s with Karen.

But he kissed me. And I kissed him. Jim. His long, lean body pressing me against his desk…

And while Pam was daydreaming, she could hear bits of what the MC was saying. “The Masked Marauder…. The hottest body this side of…. A mean machine…”

And she snapped out of it when Kelly started shaking her arm and yelling and laughing in her ear. “Pam, you’re gonna love this one… he looks like JIM!!!”

Pam didn’t look up, but got up very unsteadily and spun away from the stage. Oh, no. I can’t see this, she thought. She quickly stumbled toward the bar and asked where the restrooms were. After the bartender gave a vague point to the side, Pam hurried to the hallway past the end of the bar.

As she rounded the corner, she pressed her back against the wall unsteadily and blew out a long sigh. The mixture of alcohol and her missing Jim had turned Pam’s mood. Her thoughts were racing and she was having a hard time concentrating on anything. But the one thing that kept nagging at the periphery of her thoughts was Jim. Him. And the music pumping and pounding… the lights flashing and swirling. The men dancing on stage. Swaying to the music. Dancing to the music. (swaying isn’t dancing, is it). Swaying with Jim. Him. Jim. Her thoughts were getting all fuzzy on the edges. Everything was melting into one thing.

Pam wasn’t sure how long she was leaning there against the wall, lost in her very jumbled thoughts, but she was startled by Kelly rounding the corner. “Pam, are you OK? I was looking for you!” said Kelly. “Come with me” And she took Pam by the hand and led her past the bar and past the couch they had been sitting at. There seemed to be a lull in the activities for a moment. Kelly led Pam toward the entrance and Pam asked her if they were leaving. “Pam, you’re my friend and I hate when I see you sad”, said Kelly. “I really, really, really want you to have a good time tonight, so I got you something special”

Kelly led Pam to the entrance, but suddenly turned and led her up a few stairs. Pam had to hold the handrail as they walked past a few of the alcoves. The music had started pumping again and the lights were swirling. Kelly stopped at the very last alcove and had Pam sit down on the plush, red pleather bench. There was a tiny little light in the ceiling, but most of the light came through in stabs of red, blue and orange. With the ornate carvings across the top, when the lights shined through, they gave this weird swirling effect inside the alcove.

Pam thought to herself, “I’m going to confession”. But she just hung her head and sighed… her heavily lidded eyes were almost closed and she was warm. Really warm. Kelly was in the doorway and moved in and said, “Here’s your surprise… I thought you might like a nice lapdance from the Masked Marauder!” “It’s on me!”

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans