- Text Size +
She stretched her arms over her head and opened her eyes slowly. It took her a minute to remember that she wasn’t at home; she wasn’t on her honeymoon (if you can call Roy gambling for a week while she sat around bored in Atlantic City a honeymoon). She was in her sister’s guest bedroom.

She pushed herself up and looked around, noticing her wedding dress in a ball in the corner. At some point, her parents must have brought her suitcase over, because it was sitting near the door. She caught her reflection in the mirror and was horrified. She hadn’t even bothered to wash her face before she collapsed on the bed. She let out a sigh and recoiled in horror at the nastiness was her breath. That’s when she remembered the tequila shots with her sister. She pushed herself out of bed and dug through her suitcase for her toothbrush and shampoo, wanting to take a shower and wash the wedding funk off her body.

+++

She slid the screen to the side and walked outside, dropping into the chaise lounge chair next to her sister.

“Morning.”

“Afternoon” Jamie Beesley said, turning the page in her book, not looking at her sister.

“What?”

Jamie looked up. “I said afternoon.”

“What time is it?”

Jamie looked down at her watch. “About 1:30. I was beginning to wonder if I needed to perform CPR!”

“1:30! What the hell?!? I haven’t slept that late in… forever!”

Jamie dropped her book next to her chair and slipped her sunglasses up into her hair, staring her older sister down. “Question – when was the last time you really… and I mean really… got a good night’s sleep?”

Pam stared at her hands. Normally, she would have lied, but Jamie was the one person who could always see right through her. “Yeah, ok… so it’s been awhile.” Jamie just nodded and looked out over the backyard. They sat in silence for awhile. Pam always appreciated that about her sister – knowing when she needed to talk and when she needed quiet. They had always been like that – only separated by about 18 months.

“What time were Mom and Dad here?”

“About 10.” Jamie knew where this was headed.

“Are they…”

“No, they’re not. I think Dad is relieved and Mom… well, you know Mom, always giving everyone the benefit of the doubt.”

Pam turned and faced her sister. “Look, Jamie, I know you never really cared for Roy…”

Jamie gasped sarcastically and put her hand on her chest. “Who me?!?”

Pam laughed. “Yeah, you, but can we have a moratorium on the Roy bashing, just for today, at least.”

Jamie nodded. “Yeah, I can probably do that.” Pam sighed and looked back out over the yard. Pam had always been jealous of Jamie’s place. Pam kept trying to get Roy into a house, even if it was just a rental, but he refused, complaining about yard work and gutters and paying so much more than they were in the apartment. Jamie, on the other hand, was a paralegal in the biggest law firm in town and didn’t need to rely on anyone else for what she wanted or needed. She loved doing the yard work.

Jamie studied her sister for a moment. “Pam, can I just say… well, you seem… more relaxed. At least more relaxed than I’ve seen you in some time.”

“Strange, isn’t it? I am… I feel like I can breathe for the first time in…God, months!”

“So, what now?”

Pam just shook her head. “I don’t know. I didn’t even think yesterday, I just ran.”

“I noticed. Look, you know you can stay here as long as you want, right? I’m fine with you living here for awhile. I know it’s a drive to the office, but…”

“Thanks, Jamie. I just… yeah, I think that’s a good idea.”

“Ok, well now that you have a place to live, what else?” Pam just shrugged her shoulders. “Can I… I was just wondering… Pam, what about Jim?”

“Jim” Pam said quietly, closing her eyes and dropping her head back against the chair. “I think I may have really messed that up, sis.” Jamie could see the emotions coming over her.

“Ok, look, forget I asked about Jim, at least for now. Bigger fish to fry and what-not. Mom heard from Roy’s mom last night – he’s going to Atlantic City anyway – apparently he and his brother left last night. Why don’t we go over there and get your stuff and go get some food.”

“Oh, that should be fun” Pam groaned, pushing herself off the chair. Jamie smiled. “Well, it’s got to be done. Plus, this way, I get to mess with Roy’s stuff.” Pam just shook her head as they headed inside.

+++

They laughed as Pam pushed the door open. “Jamie, he’s going to be so pissed when he finds that!”

Jamie just shrugged. “Yeah, but it will be at least a week and by that time the place will smell so bad he may just move out instead!”

Pam glanced around the nearly empty restaurant and saw Ryan at the bar, drinking a beer with some friends. Suddenly, it was like tunnel vision. Pam stalked over to him. She tapped him on the shoulder and he glanced at her, swinging around in his chair.

“Hey.”

“Have you talked to him?”

Ryan sighed. “Pam, I…”

“Please, Ryan, I know you have. You talked to him.”

Ryan nodded. “Yeah, I called him after you ran out yesterday. I just… I thought he should know.”

“Where was he?”

“Waiting for his connecting flight in LA.”

“So, I guess he…”

Ryan shook his head. “I don’t know. Pam, I told him not to go, to come back, but he… well, he hung up on me before I got a chance to convince him not to go and I haven’t heard from him since.” Just then, Ryan’s cell phone started to ring. She held her breath as he checked the number.

“Jim?”

“Kelly.” Ryan hit the end button, sending her to voice mail for the third time since he’d met up with his friends. Pam nodded sadly, looking down at her shoes. “He said he’d call me when he got settled, so if you want, I can tell him to call you or…”

“Yeah. I mean, if he wants to. I just wish…”

Ryan just nodded and Pam turned on her heel. Jamie threw her arm over her sister’s shoulder, guiding her toward their table. “Well, looks like we’re going to have to drown in some margaritas aren’t we.” Pam turned and hugged her sister tightly.

“Jamie, I don’t know what I would do without you.”

“Well, then, it’s a good thing I’m here. We’ll get this figured out, Pammy, I promise. But I can’t think on an empty stomach, so we need food. Greasy, fattening, so not good for us food followed up by some double chocolate chip ice cream and girly movies!”

Pam wiped her tears and sat down, opening the menu, doing her best to not think about him and where he was.

TBC…

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans