- Text Size +
Jim sat down on the bench and pulled out his cell phone, looking at the time. He quickly calculated the time difference in his head and scrolled through the phone, finding Ryan’s number.

“It’s about fucking time!” Ryan yelled into the phone.

“Well, hello to you too, Ryan.”

“Damn, Jim, what the hell, it’s been three days!”

“I’m sorry Mom, did I miss curfew again?”

“Where in God’s name are you?”

Jim looked out at the ocean. “LA.”

“You didn’t go!”

“No, I didn’t go.”

“So, wait… why are you still in LA?”

“Because, I may have decided to trek across the world, but I still needed some distance. I managed to convince the airline to refund the LA to Sydney part of my ticket, so I’m bumming around LA for now.”

“When are you coming back?”

“Ryan, I’m not. I’ve got the job in Stamford!” Ryan sighed and shook his head, wishing he could bean Jim with his cell phone right now.

“How is she?” Jim asked, dropping his gaze to the ground.

“Well, she’s been better, but she doesn’t seem as… weighed down anymore. Oscar and I have been trying to keep an eye on her. The warehouse guys have been giving her a hard time the last few days, so we’ll wait for her to get there and walk her out. She’s living with her sister for now.”

“That’s good” he said, wanting nothing more than to blow up the warehouse right now.

“She’s been asking about you. Can I tell her you didn’t go to Sydney?”

“Yeah.”

“Can I tell her you are going to call her?”

“No.”

“Jim, c’mon. I think if she could just…”

“No, Ryan. Tell her where I am and that I’m fine, but don’t tell her I’m going to call or to call me. I still need some time.”

“Alright, man. If you’re sure.”

“I’m sure.”

“Will you at least let me know when you are coming back to this side of the country?”

“Yeah, I can do that.”

“Alright. Have a good time.”

“Thanks for keeping an eye on her, Ryan. If anything big happens, call me.”

“Yeah. Talk to you later.” Ryan snapped his phone shut and walked back into the office. Pam stared at him with wide eyes. He rested his elbows on her desk and sighed. “He’s in LA.”

“Oh… well, that’s good.”

“Yeah.”

“Did he say… anything else?”

“Just that he’d let me know when he’s on his way back to this side of the country.” He could see the hurt in her eyes. “Sorry, Pam.”

She shook her eyes, praying that the tears wouldn’t fall. “Not your fault, Ryan.” He pushed himself off her desk as she turned her eyes back to her computer screen, concentrating more on keeping the tears from falling than on her game of solitaire.

TBC…

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans