- Text Size +
She glanced up at the clock again, praying that it would move faster. This had been the longest week of her life and, now that it was Friday, it couldn’t be over fast enough. It wasn’t even 11:30 yet, but she needed some space, some air. She pushed herself out of her chair and walked into the break room. She felt like the walls were closing in her as she pulled her lunch out of the fridge. She knew if she didn’t get out of here, she was going to lose it. She turned on her heel and stalked through the office, out the door and down the steps. She got outside and collapsed on the top step, letting out the breath she had been holding. She dug into her bag, trying to ignore how bad her heart seemed to be hurting today.

She wasn’t really hungry but Jamie had forced her to bring the sandwich with her today. She took two bites and threw it down, feeling nauseous. She buried her face in her hands. “Get a hold of yourself Beesley” she said.

“Had to resort to talking to yourself now?” She froze as she heard his voice. She hadn’t seen him in a week and she knew that it was just a matter of time before they ran into each other, before they had to have it out, but she didn’t know if she could deal with him today.

She pulled her head out of her hands and looked up at him. “Hi Roy.”

“Hmm, that’s interesting. Glad to see you still remember who I am?” He was a lot madder than she thought he was going to be.

“That’s not fair, Roy.”

“I mean, really, nothing like being completely humiliated in front of everyone I know, but hey, as long as you got what you wanted, that’s all that really matters, right?”

“I’m sorry.”

“Well, that makes it all better.”

“Roy, it would have been a mistake. You can’t honestly stand there and tell me that you would have been happy getting married, living this life…”

“Well, I happen to like my life, Pam. Sorry it wasn’t good enough for you, but I’m happy with who I am and where I am.”

“Well, I’m not, and that’s the problem.”

He laughed at her. “Right! No offense, Pam, but what… you think you can find something better?”

She looked over his shoulder to the empty parking spot next to her car where he usually parked. “There might be.”

“Then you should have said something before I was standing up in front of God and the whole damn town watching you run away from me!” He noticed that she was staring over his shoulder. He glanced over and noticed the empty parking spot. He thought for a moment about who usually parks there and he started to laugh. He turned back to her and laughed harder.

“Jesus, Pam… what, too lazy to get out and meet someone that you’ll just jump from guy to guy in the office till you think you found the right one?” Her eyes got wide as she looked at him.

“Roy, that’s a little uncalled for, don’t you think?”

“No, not really. Come on, Pam… he ran from you like you ran from me. Regardless of what you think, I’m not stupid. I know that you and Halpert had something else going on.”

“Roy, I never cheated on you.”

“Oh, I know that. You aren’t that brave, now are you?” She was willing the tears not to fall. The last thing she wanted was for Roy to see her crying on the front steps of the office.

Roy shrugged his shoulders at her. “Face it, Pam. Halpert gets girls like Katy… Lord knows why, but he does. He’s not going to want you, why would he? Guys want a girl who knows what she wants, not someone who’s going to make a fool out of them the first chance she gets.” She looked down at her hands as the tears fell. “Well, I guess I’ll see you around Pam.” She heard him walk away and let out a sob when she couldn’t hear his footsteps anymore.

+++

She walked back into the office and looked around, watching everyone work. She could hear the phone ringing, but she didn’t move to get it.

Dwight looked over at her. “Pam, you need to get the phone.” She looked at the blinking lights on the main phone on her desk, but she still didn’t move. Ryan looked up and saw her, standing there frozen. He pushed himself up and looked over at Oscar, who had already noticed her.

She didn’t see them staring at her. She was barely conscious at this point, realizing that she was looking at the rest of her life if she didn’t do something. She saw someone put some papers in front of her face. She looked over at Michael. “Pam, I need you to fax these to corporate a sap!” She just stared at him. She looked over her shoulder as Michael turned toward the door. A man walked in.

“Hello, I’m looking for Michael Scott. I’m Adam Reynolds… I’m your new sales man.” She watched Michael shake his hand and lead him over to Jim’s desk. As he sat down in the chair and pulled some pictures out of his briefcase, she wanted to beat on him, telling him he couldn’t have that desk, that it was Jim’s.

Michael shook her shoulder. “Pam, the phone’s ringing.”

She looked at him and glared, breaking out of her trance, realizing what she needed to do. “I quit” she said. She turned on her heel and grabbed her purse off the desk and was out the door before anyone had a chance to respond.

TBC…

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans