- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I've come out of fanfic retirement to bring you this ridiculously silly fluff piece. I was rewatching "After Hours" and felt a burst of inspiration. Jim and Pam's conversation about the letter K is inspired by something that was discussed way back when the episode aired. Also, this unbeta'ed so feel free to point out an grammar mistakes I made. I think I got them all.

They had been given the weekend off following their first complete week working on the Sabre store and to say that Jim needed a couple of days away from his coworkers was an understatement. He was grateful for Dwight’s enthusiastic determination in ridding his hotel room of “bed bugs,” but after spending the night with him, he was ready for a break. Plus, he was hell bent on avoiding Kathy for a while. Jim was not a confrontational guy and was hoping that she would get the hint that he was completely uninterested in her.

So he spent his Saturday shopping for souvenirs for Pam and the kids, playing a solo round of golf and followed it up with an hour long video chat with Cece, in which she detailed her day at Chuck E Cheese with Aunt Penny and Grandma Helene. It gave him some piece of mind knowing that his sister-in-law and mother-in-law where there to help Pam out, but worried about what he was missing out on while he was gone. Cece seems to change every day. He thought he noticed her using words she hadn’t used before earlier and when he caught a glimpse of Phillip, he appeared to be bigger than he was a week ago. He wouldn’t be lying if he admitted that when he was wrapping up his video chat with Cece earlier and she proudly proclaimed, “Loves you, Dada,” his eyes misted up a little bit.

He and Pam had arranged to have their own video chat date later that night, after Cece had gone to bed for the night and Phillip had fallen asleep for one of his four hour stretches before waking up to eat again. He worried about Pam getting enough sleep. Her sister and mother were there to help during the day, but at night she was flying solo. He would have never guessed it, but it takes just as much energy to deal with work with Andy at the helm as it did when Michael was in charge and despite her protests that she is holding up just fine being back to work, he didn’t know how Pam did it.

He already had his video chat window opened, waiting for Pam to sign on as he watched a basketball game he didn’t care that much about and mindlessly peeled the label off the beer he was drinking.

Suddenly, she filled the screen of his laptop, “Hey, stranger!”

“Pam,” he sighed, “Wait, what’s that I hear? Is that silence in the Halpert household?”

This elicited a tired laugh from his wife. “Yes, it is. Cece went down effortlessly thanks to my mom and Penny wearing her out and Phillip fell asleep about a half hour ago. I figure have about a three and half hours before the beast demands to be fed again, so I’m all yours.”

They spent the next twenty minutes recapping their days. Jim bragged about his awesome abilities to pick out gifts for the people he loves the most while Pam recounted the peace she felt when she had some alone time with Phillip.

“Do you think Phillip will remember me when I get back?” Jim asked genuinely concerned.

“Jim, you’re his father,” Pam reassured, “Of course he’ll remember you. And, hey, if he doesn’t, you two can spend a whole day together uninterrupted. I’ll even pump enough milk to make it happen.”

“I just miss you guys so much,” he admitted quietly.

“We miss you, too. But, we’re done with week one, just two more to go.”

“I can’t wait to come home.”

“I can’t wait for you to be home. It does sound like you had a good day today, though.”

“I did. After this week, any day not seeing any Dunder Mifflin/Sabre people is a good day,” he replied with a smile.

“You didn’t see anyone from Dunder Mifflin today?”

“Nope,” he knew what she was getting at.

“Not anyone? Not even…”

“Not even Kathy.”

“Do you think it will be weird when you do see her?”

“I hope not,” he replied, his voice almost a whisper, “I would think that after Dwight sprayed her down with a lethal combination of cleaning products, she would get the hint that I’m not interested.”

“Hmm, maybe,” Pam said with a giggle, “Hey, you know what I just realized? You have a thing for girls who’s names start with a K.”

“What’s that?” he smirked.

“Yeah, Katy, Karen, Kathy,” she counted them off on her fingers.

“What can I say, Pam, the ladies love Cool James.”

“Please tell me you just did not quote LL Cool J? You know you can’t pull that off,” this drew a small laugh from Jim.

“Okay, okay, I can’t pull of a rap persona, I’ll give you that. But there’s only one special lady I’m interested in and her name starts with a P.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yup. Maybe you know her, Penny Beesly?”

Pam flushed, “You’re lucky you’re not here or I’d slap you.”

“Oh, so you do know her? You think you could put in a good word for me?”

“That’s enough of that,” she chided.

“You know you’re the only one for me,” he said sincerely.

“I know,” she yawned.

“I should let you go get some rest before Phillip is up again.”

“I know you’re right,” Pam yawned again, “But I don’t want to stop talking to you.”

“Go get some sleep, Babe,” he suggested, “Same time, same place tomorrow.”

“Unless you get another late night surprise?”

“Oh, are you planning on surprising me here in Florida?”

“I wish I could. I love you.”

“I love you, too, goodnight.”

Pam’s tired, yet smiling face froze on his screen before he powered it off and placed his laptop on the night stand. He fell asleep shortly after that dreaming of a late night visit from pretty girl who’s name starts with a P.

Chapter End Notes:
Don't forget to review, I am emotionally needy.... :)


BluetimesTwo is the author of 6 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked I'll Take Girls names that start with a K for 100 also liked 1127 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans