- Text Size +
Jim heaved himself off the floor, his mind whirling with thoughts. Should he call in sick to work today? Of course he should. What about Pam and the kids, did they need to go to the doctor? Jim took the rest of the morning one step at a time, distributing doses of medicine and wet washcloths. He felt like a doctor in a hospital, what with the constant cries and retches. Even Pam submitted to Jim’s service, not arguing when he practically carried Pam back to their bedroom. By the afternoon Jim gave up and called the doctor, who blessfully promised an appointment for that evening. So after a family dinner consisting of mashed peas and applesauce, Jim managed to push the family into the van and staggered to the doctor’s office.
“Welcome, who is the appointment for?” the receptionist in the waiting room asked with a friendly grin.
“Actually, we have four scheduled appointments,” Jim replied with a grimace as he passed over his credit card. He joined Pam on one of the uncomfortable plastic benches arranged around the room, and watched with a pang in his heart as his kids halfheartedly fumbled with various toys.
Fifteen minutes later, the doctor clicked down the hallway, her colorful uniform billowing out behind her. She and Jim exchanged comedic greetings before the two grabbed the kids and Pam and wound down sterilized hallways to an empty exam room. The doctor, who introduced herself as Elizabeth, circled the room in a flurry of tongue depressors and thermometers. Finally, she pulled her desk chair across the room to face Jim and gave her final report.
“All three of your kids are sick, but nothing bad. Just a surprisingly strong flu. Your wife however, seems medically fine. Could she have eaten something bad?”
“We got takeout last night, but she was sick, like, half an hour later,” Jim replied, wracking his brain for suddenly fleeting info.
“Maybe I’m pregnant,” Pam interjected, leaning lazily against the wall. Two of the kids were having a meltdown on the floor, but Pam made no move to comfort them.
“No, she couldn’t be pregnant, she seems really sick,” Jim confirmed, pushing the thought of another child from his mind. He stood and gathered the kids. They left the doctor’s office with an armful of flavored medicine and a handful of bills. Jim drove home as fast as he could, his head pounding. He felt like he was a single dad to four kids today. Couldn’t Pam put in a little more effort?

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans