- Text Size +
It was so refreshing to see Pam hold her head high and smile, as opposed to the downtrodden and defeated Pam of late. Apparently, Pam learned more than a couple life lessons from her art show! FNB was indeed taking notes when Oscar stated that honesty and courage were not among Pam's strong points. Pam's decision to develop these characteristics is undoubtedly derived from those comments.

One of Pam's major accomplishments is realizing exactly what she doesn't want. Pam had her light bulb moment that she has evolved past Roy. Furthermore, she realized her "old" life is not the future she wants for herself. This in turn, will shed light on exactly what Pam does want. Inevitably, Pam will have to face her feelings for Jim. Part of her already knows that Jim is what she wants. Denial is no longer an option. She has nothing left to hide behind as honesty has become her new motto. The real question is whether or not Pam will actually go after what she wants. Only FNB knows the answer to that question.

At first glance, it appears that Pam has transitioned completely into FNB, but upon closer scrutiny, it's clear that obstacles are still blocking her path. Pam made huge strides, there's no denying that, as she has overcome the biggest bump in the road. But, she still has a little more work to do. Pam made a monumental decision to be honest and more assertive. In the honesty department, Pam is being more honest with people around her, but she has yet to completely apply this honesty towards herself. This is crucial for FNB to be a permanent transformation. Luckily, being more honest on the outside will naturally lead to honesty on an internal level.

As for being more assertive, Pam tried it out on Roy, the camera, and the bartender. She is obviously enjoying the little "high" she gets from people listening to her and getting what she wants. However, Pam is still experimenting with the idea. She's still not totally aware of all the boundaries or the consequences (positive and negative) that are associated with being self assured. Both assertiveness and straightforward truthfulness (without hiding) are new to her and she's still learning. Thankfully, the strides she made this week greatly increased her confidence, but it's not impervious.

Another blow is still possible, but Pam is better equipped to handle it. It's highly doubtful she'll flounder into another tailspin. However, elements of Old Pam are still lingering despite the fact that they are fading. Once Pam enacts FNB as a pattern of behavior rather than a one time deal, the transformation will be complete.

Michael the Magic:

As Michael struts out in his straight jacket with chains, Pam is standing off to the side of Jim near her desk. Jim starts to tease Michael by asking, "If you can't get out, you don't want anyone to help you?" Pam glances at Jim and decides to take advantage of the situation. She plays along with Jim's tease by saying, "So we shouldn't help you, no matter how much you might beg and plead." Pam's participation in this little tease seems miniscule, but it's really a big step. Pam hasn't had any luck in relating to Jim since The Return. Both BF and PW were devastating and created a huge void between them. The fact that she's trying to include herself in Jim's comments to Michael, is a huge first indicator of the courage she is currently developing. At this point she's still caught up in the delusion that Roy is her man, but she's still harboring the need for Jim's attention.

Side Note: Her watercolor is indeed still hanging on the wall. This is most likely a huge source of confidence for Pam. It's a nice daily reminder that someone believes in her, even if that someone is Michael!

Roy at Pam's Desk:

Pam stretches her new assertive muscle with Roy as he hangs out at her desk. She mentions that everyone is heading to Poor Richard's for happy hour and invites him to come. However, Old Pam is not asking Roy to come, FNB is telling Roy he has to attend. Pam doesn't even phrase her invitation as a question. Instead she says, "You should come." She even stares him down and nods her head "yes" to signify "you are coming." Pam does not take kindly to Roy's obviously lame excuse that he can't come on account that he and Kenny are going to get hammered as result of some unloaded Jet-skis. In fact, she sees right through him and isn't afraid to call him on it immediately. She does however give him a chance to redeem himself by telling him, "Okay, we're going to a bar." It's her subtle way of telling him he can't circumvent her anymore. She is effectively cornering him in his own excuse.

Roy was obviously lying to Pam, but she didn't catch that aspect. Pam only believed that Roy was giving her an excuse, not a flat out lie to avoid of hanging out with her. This seems a little odd on Roy's part after all of his efforts to get her back. However, Roy has always been selfish. In this instance, he put his plans ahead of Pam. Pam can't see this as she is still grasping to the idea of Roy. She's too intent on believing he has changed. Hence, the reason she gives him an avenue to make amends and agree to come out with her.

Even though Pam is giving him a chance, she's still forceful enough to let him know she's not backing down. She even nods her head again as a non-verbal cue to let him know he needs to come with her. Roy's inability to come up with the "correct" answer quickly enough leads Pam to become even more assertive. She cocks her head and tells him, "Hey, you have to come to stuff with me. I'm serious. If you're gonna be my boyfriend, you have to do boyfriend things." This is Pam's way of telling Roy that things have to be different this time around. She wants him to live up to the standard she's created for him. This stems from his "performance" at her art show. She undoubtedly reflected on the reality that Roy left early and had nothing to offer but lame comments.

Pam has mostly decided she wasn't going to tolerate this from Roy any longer. Pam may have started to see through Roy that evening, yet she's not ready to give up the illusion. Even though Pam has convinced herself that she should be with Roy, she still wants and expects to see a changed man. She already knows the "old" relationship isn't good enough and she wants more. This drive for a new and improved Roy and relationship relates directly to Pam's reasoning for telling Roy about CN. Pam's strength in this segment is very uncharacteristic as she continues to stare him down, never once breaking eye contact. Despite Pam's unflinching eye contact, it is possible to detect a little bit of worry on Pam's face. She isn't sure if she's taken this too far, but she's not about to back down. Roy finally relents to Pam's delight.

Pam's reaction to her personal victory shows obvious pride, but it also indicates that this is the first time she's ever tried being assertive with Roy. On top of that, she got her way. Pam looks a little relieved as Roy starts to leave. She wasn't sure how this was all going to play out, as standing up for herself is a new thing. Needles to say, her confidence received a huge jolt. She lets a huge smile grace her face in celebration of her success. She is also directing it at Roy to let him know he's made her happy. However, the smile is more deeply rooted in Pam's personal pride. She got a little "high" from having this kind of leverage with Roy. In Pam/Roy 1.0, she didn't have an equal say in the relationship as Roy was very controlling. Pam decided she wasn't going to let that happen again, hence her goal of telling people what she wants directly as she later explains in her subsequent talking head. In a sense, Roy's sometimes boorish behavior is helping to construct Pam's new frame of reference for what she doesn't want in favor of what she does want. Thanks Roy!

This scene denotes Pam's transition status in that she's currently an odd combination of Old Pam and FNB. FNB is primarily in control, while Old Pam sits quietly in the back seat holding onto the idea of Roy, (if I may use my previous car analogy).

Talking Head:

Pam opens her talking head by saying, "I've decided I'm going to be more honest." Pam's eye contact with the camera never falters, which is a vast departure from her usual wandering eyes. Pam has probably never been more sure of herself. Obviously the comments that transpired between Oscar and Gil have stuck with Pam. Even though her new attitude is very FNB, Old Pam's insecurities triggered her resolve to be more honest. Pam has always cared what other people think of her. She doesn't want to be thought of as dishonest or as lacking courage.

In other words, FNB would not be possible without Old Pam! FNB is really a process of Pam accepting herself for who she is and making the best of her flaws. Despite the fact that Pam is declaring her decision to more honest, she is only halfway towards meeting her goal. Pam's talking head comes on the tail end of the last scene where Roy is at her desk. Pam's honesty only appears to be directed at other people and not necessarily herself. This concept extends all the way to the bar scene where Pam tells Roy about CN. Pam's lack of honesty with herself is a roadblock, but there is a silver lining in that external honesty will inevitably lead to internal honesty. Being honest with those around her is simply the first step that will lead to her internal truth.

Pam reinforces the notion that her new behavior is more external than internal with her statement, "I'm going to start telling people what I want, directly." Pam's art show debacle taught her more than just honesty. It taught her courage as well. Pam probably realized that she is partially to blame for the fact that no one from work came. Pam figured out that if she wanted people to come, she should have told them instead of downplaying the art show as "no big deal." Furthermore, as mentioned above, her resolve to be more assertive can be connected to Roy and her desire for a "new" relationship with him. Pam doesn't want to be run over anymore.

The end of Pam's talking head is where Old Pam decides to peek through momentarily. As Pam says, "Look out world, Old Pammy is gettin' what she wants." A pinch of insecurity and uncertainty shows up as her voice lightens a little and she breaks eye contact. It's undoubtedly present as a result of her trying something so new. Pam even refers to herself as Old Pammy, which gives an indicator that she is very consciously aware of her transition to FNB. The transition is becoming less dependent on circumstance and other people to incite progress. It's now totally up to Pam and she finds it a little daunting, but is no longer afraid. Pam wants to be FNB. This bodes very well for JAM! Prior to this she didn't know she wanted the transition, it was just happening. Pam's moment of insecurity is fleeting as FNB comes back swinging with "And don't call me Pammy." Her voice is more forceful and eye contact returns. Pam feels empowered in a way she's never experienced before and she likes how good it feels. It serves for further encouragement throughout her day.

Roy Arrives at Poor Richard's:

Pam is beyond thrilled when Roy arrives. She greets him happily with, "Hey, you made it," coupled with a huge smile. For Pam, Roy has given the impression that he has changed. Plus, he's living up to her raised standards by putting her first. Pam feels like she "won," and is riding her power trip. Roy responds with "Yeah, you said it was important." Pam reinforces her stance with "It is," to let Roy know she is not going to back down or let him off the hook. This is also her way to protecting her new vision of her relationship with Roy. She wants to believe he really has changed and he just scored a point with her.

She is so impressed that she fails to notice Roy's odd behavior when she mentions the Jet-skis to Kenny. It's an obvious indicator of Roy's earlier lie, but Roy manages to divert her attention by offering to buy a round of drinks. The fact that Pam didn't take much notice of Roy's behavior indicates again the FNB isn't in total control, despite being at the steering wheel. Traditionally, Old Pam was beyond forgiving of Roy's past behaviors and it appears she's at it again even if on a subconscious level. Old Pam is whispering in FNB's ear as she drives.

With the Bartender:

Pam's interaction with the bartender is another indicator that the transformation to FNB is not complete. Pam picks up two bottles of beer and realizes that the order was not filled correctly. She says "oh" acknowledging the mistake and starts to turn around to walk away. For that moment, she relapses to her Old Pam tendency of avoiding confrontation (no matter how small). However, FNB pushes Old Pam aside as Pam makes the very conscious decision to overcome her fear and assert herself. Her face literally reads, "I'm going to do this." She is making herself do it as it's not a natural behavior for her.

This kind of effort speaks volumes of Pam's resolve and conscious awareness of her desire to be FNB. She makes direct contact with the bar tender and tells him "No, actually one of these is supposed to be Lite." There isn't a trace of hesitancy or timidity in her voice. Not only is she displaying a huge amount of courage (for Pam this is a lot of courage!), but she is also sticking her aims of telling people what she wants and being honest. The bartender may appear to be small apples in grand scheme of things, but Pam needs to start somewhere. The bartender apologized and righted her order essentially giving Pam a personal victory. She knows she broke her own mold.

She shoots the camera a face dripping with pride and accomplishment. Pam wants to share her victory with someone, but no one aside from the camera will understand why this is such a big deal. Furthermore, she's letting the camera know she really meant what she said in her talking head, "See, I told you so." On another level, she's basking in the fact that she overcame her fears. Her confidence in this scene went off the charts. She's going to need it in her later confrontation with Roy.

1-2-3 Up Jenkins:

In a spirited game of 1-2-3 Up Jenkins, Pam ends up with the quarter. She is most likely thrilled to see Roy interacting and having a good time with her and their co-workers. For her, it's a perfect evening. Eventually, Roy is able to isolate the quarter between her and Stanley. Pam doesn't let him hang for too long as she sends him a facial cue that she has the quarter. Pam literally told Roy she had it without saying a word. She's letting him win to stoke his ego. Pam knows Roy is very competitive, (Basketball) and she wants to keep him happy during this outing. This is a little bit of Old Pam coming through again. She knows she made him come and she's a little insecure about it. She's worried it'll come back and bite her if he has a miserable time. Pam needs Roy to be happy to maintain the illusion.

As Roy celebrates his victory, Pam says, "Nice job." Her tone in this statement confirms her motives. There's a tinge of sarcasm flowing through her words, "Gee, it's not like I told you where it was or anything." Roy continues to ride his high horse and tells Pam, "I can read you like a book." Pam continues with her subtle sarcasm by responding with "oh, yeah." She's very aware her facial cue was obvious and that Roy would have to be blind in order to miss it. She's even a little amused by the fact that Roy didn't catch on to her blatant clue. Unfortunately, Pam doesn't realize that Roy is essentially implying that he knows her better than anyone, when that simply isn't the case. She's refusing to see this aspect, as it will indelibly lead her to the conclusion that the only person who holds that distinction is Jim.

Old Pam is masking that truth in order to maintain the idea of a "new" relationship with Roy. This is just another self defense mechanism to protect herself from dealing with her feelings for Jim. She's had nothing but difficulty and pain with those feelings lately. This is yet another indicator that her new honesty has yet to apply internally. Roy utterly shatters her defenses when he says, "You can't hide anything from me." Pam feels her vulnerability return as her mind immediately shifts to Jim and CN. It's written all over her face. Roy's statement triggered not only Pam's feelings for Jim, but also guilt. It's the same guilt that kept her from jumping into Jim's arms that evening.

Pam's guilt extends beyond simply having feelings for Jim. She now has the added guilt of keeping the events of CN from Roy. Just as her guilt activated her moral center in CN, it's working its mojo once again in this instance. In CN Pam rejected Jim on account of her moral center's sense of obligation to Roy. Pam is feeling that same sense of obligation as she sits in Poor Richard's. In turn, her new motto of honesty is also kicking into high gear. If anything her resolve to be more honest has goaded her moral center into action more so than ever before.

She now feels like she must tell Roy about Jim. Pam takes Roy's statement as both the tease he intended, but also literally. She looks at him briefly and then turns inward towards herself contemplating the fact that she's hiding a whole world from him. Pam's moral center is screaming at her to spill the truth. In effect, Old Pam's drive to have a new relationship with Roy coupled with her guilt (moral center) and new honesty provide the foundation for Pam's decision to tell Roy about CN.

Pam Tells Roy:

Pam knows she's getting ready to tell Roy something really big, so she carefully sets up a positive atmosphere. Pam knows Roy might react badly, so she's trying to make the situation a little bit lighter. She starts by looking at Roy affectionately and with a smile. It works as he smiles right back at her and asks her, "What?" Pam responds with "I want us to make it," wearing the same expression. She's trying to maintain the atmosphere, but she's also attempting to bolster Roy's confidence about their relationship. Pam is hoping this will prevent a poor reaction from Roy. This hope can be attributed to Old Pam's wishful thinking that Roy will understand and really has changed.

Pam thinks she is being honest with Roy and herself, when in reality FNB has duct tape across her mouth as Old Pam takes over. She continues with, "I want a fresh start." Pam is telling Roy what she wants, in a more direct way. It's still laden in innuendo, but she's getting better! The fresh start refers to her want of a relationship that's different from the past. (Pam has yet to figure out that she can't do this with Roy.) Her statement is also telling Roy that she expects him to be "fresh" as well, meaning that she really wants a changed Roy. Roy's enthusiastic response is just what Pam is hoping for. It's here where Pam truly wants to believe Roy has changed, and this gives her the confidence to tell Roy the truth about Jim.

She jumps in headfirst with a line she's probably rehearsed in her head a few times, "Okay, but in order for us to make it, there can't be any secrets between us." She breaks eye contact just before she starts, probably to pull herself together. She knows there's no turning back once she starts. The second part of her statement is full of confidence. She put a little too much force in her words as Roy took them as being a little accusatory. Pam is still learning how to voice her assertiveness with the proper tone! The confidence in her words was directed more towards herself, but Roy misread it. Pam is trying to hide her guilt, not only from herself but also from Roy. Her impending honesty is an odd mixture of Old Pam and FNB. It's very FNB of her to go out on a limb and admit something so personal and enter into a potentially scary situation, not to mention the implementation of high stakes honesty.

However, her honesty stems from Old Pam's insecurities, guilt (old and new), and her innate need to maintain the idea of Roy and a new relationship. Pam redirects Roy with, "Just listen." Pam is basically telling him this is about her, not about him. This is also her way of establishing a boundary and control. She is contradicting her earlier lighter atmosphere as a result of the butterflies in her stomach. She's about talk about CN for the first time and she some semblance of order and a safety net. She really does need Roy to listen to her "thoughts and feelings" and provide a foundation (she needs him to listen to her like Jim did in the past, but she'll never admit that to herself).

Pam breaks eye contact once again as she channels the confidence she built up throughout the day. Just before she speaks she locks eyes with Roy, a very FNB behavior. However she is very nervous as reflected in her knotted forehead and brow. Pam really wants Roy to respond in a positive way, even though she knows deep down he might react negatively. She jumps right in, "Remember that casino night about a month before we were supposed to get married? I kissed Jim." Pam's matter of fact tone has a couple of different implications. Old Pam is trying to convince herself that she's over Jim. By keeping her admission relatively emotionless, she's feeding into the delusion that it's all in the past and she's over it. It's another mask to hide her true feelings from Roy and herself in the name of self preservation. In a sense, she's almost back at square one.

However, her honesty has managed to punch a hole in her preservation mode. She distinctly said, "I kissed Jim." In reality, Jim kissed her first and then she reciprocated. Part of her is protecting Jim from a potential blame and danger. In Casino Night, Pam blamed herself for Jim "misinterpreting" their friendship as a way to protect herself from dealing with her emotions, as well as protecting Jim by lessening the blow of her rejection. By pinning the blame on herself for the kiss, she is essentially doing the same thing she did in CN. But this has more to do with her than it does with Jim. This is the first time she's owned up to her part in CN. She wanted to kiss Jim and this glimmer of internal honesty came out with the word "I." It's such a small word, but it has a massive internal impact. The last time Pam even remotely admitted she wanted to kiss Jim was that night, (but we didn't know until GWH), but even then she tried to wiggle out of that honesty with "Maybe we're drunk." Her current situation doesn't have a back door and she has no choice but to deal with her honesty head on.

Roy's agitated reaction catches Pam off guard. Her need for him to change created the false sense of security that he would react in a more understanding way that she envisioned for Roy 2.0. She's flustered and her confidence begins to falter, allowing her real emotions to partially surface. Pam thinks she can smooth things over if she explains everything a little bit further. She can't even look at Roy as she starts to talk about it, "He told me how he felt and I guess I had feelings, too. . . and we kissed." Pam's face is aching with her real emotions and the pain she carries as a result those emotions, which is why she can't make eye contact. She feels vulnerable and transparent. This is the first time Pam has admitted her feelings for Jim to anyone including herself. She's never allowed herself to deal with those emotions with any level of honestly.

The concept of external honesty leading to internal honesty is perfectly exemplified in this segment. Her honesty is existing on all levels and it's scaring her a little bit. There an internal struggle between FNB pulling towards honest feelings for Jim and Old Pam tugging towards Roy, creating a small sense of panic. She doesn't want to deal with these emotions right now. This mirrors Jim's contorted body as he struggles with head vs. heart. Her honesty has turned inward, with Roy becoming secondary. Pam's is trying to sort through the information that just escaped from her subconscious.

The other key aspect of Pam's phrase again comes at the very end where she says "we kissed." She has shifted from "I" to "we." There is much more emotion packed into this readmission as opposed to "I kissed Jim." Pam can't hold it back. Pam's subconscious is reaching towards Jim. The word "we" is bringing Jim into the situation. She's stuck and a little scared and she can't help but need him. FNB is desperately working to get the duct tape off of her mouth to scream that Pam wants Jim and the honesty of CN.

Roy distracts Pam from her internal honesty by responding with anger, "Jim came onto you!?" Pam's tries to regain control and salvage the situation by once again saying, "Just listen." But it lacks the strength of the first and is painted with desperation. Old Pam sees the illusion of new Roy slipping away along with her safety net. Part of her knew Roy would react this way, but she kept hoping he would be different. Pam's intention was to continue by explaining that it was all in the past and nothing else happened. She intended to sell Roy the same delusion she sold herself of not having feelings for Jim. Pam was getting ready to lie to Roy and herself.

However, Roy never gave her the chance. He continues by yelling at her, "No, I am listening. That's the problem I'm listening!" Pam is looking at Roy in disbelief. Pam is starting to see Roy hasn't changed, but she still tries to save her image of him by telling him "Don't yell." She is once again telling him instead of asking, but she uses a lower tone as an attempt to get Roy to quiet down and prevent the situation from escalating. Pam is also little embarrassed by Roy's behavior in a public place in front of their co-workers. She needs him to calm down.

This isn't so much about Pam being afraid of Roy as it is about bringing back Roy 2.0. She's letting him know she won't tolerate this kind of behavior from him, much the same way she did at her desk earlier in the day. The problem she doesn't have the same strength she had at her desk. "Don't yell" sounded more like a plea rather than an assertive request. Once again her brow is knotted but this more of reaction to her near shattered perception that Roy has changed. FNB is struggling to make Old Pam see the truth by forcing her eyelids open!

Pam's attempt to defuse the situation fails miserably. Roy's temper has hit a boiling point, no doubt with the help of a couple of beers. He yells right back at her even more agitated than before. In his next act of aggression Roy throws his beer bottle at a mirror. Pam literally jumps back and out of her skin. Her illusion of new Roy and a new relationship shattered with the mirror. Roy scared Pam with his actions, which brings her to a whole new level of honesty. All Pam sees is the reality of Old Roy. This was her light bulb moment a.k.a rock bottom. Everything she was hoping for literally crashed to the floor.

Pam realizes why she went back to Roy and now knows it was a mistake. She is coming to terms that she has evolved past this relationship and there's no chance of a "new" relationship with Roy. As she gets up she stops and thinks for a split second with an expression that strongly resembles the one she wore just before deciding to confront the bartender. Despite Roy's tantrum, Old Pam is hesitant to let go, she still wants the security blanket that Roy can offer. She momentarily thinks about whether or not she should end it. If she ends the relationship, she is truly on her own. Jim is not around to be her safety net. Pam is facing the unknown, which is a huge fear of hers. FNB and Old Pam are in direct conflict at this point. Old Pam wants safety and familiarity, while FNB wants honesty and courage.

Ultimately, FNB wins the battle as Pam decides "This is over." Pam's new concepts of assertiveness and honesty brought her to a new level. She didn't get a "high" off of it, but she did get a reality check and a sense empowerment by taking control of her life. In a way, Pam told herself what she wanted . . . directly. She knows she wants a relationship that really is different from the past. Pam is done living in an illusion. She'd rather be alone in the unknown than be with a man who isn't right for her. This kind of internal honesty is eventually going to cause Pam to further explore and accept her feelings for Jim. Even better, her continued development of honesty and courage will eventually give her the confidence to act on those feelings. At some point, she'll be able to tell herself directly that she wants Jim.

Pam walks away from Roy and leaves the bar looking more self assured and confident than we've ever seen her. Pam knows she did the right thing. However, Pam is still hurting. She learned a tough lesson by returning to Roy and it's going to take her some time to heal. She's going to be kicking herself for making such a mistake, but hopefully she will emerge from this even stronger.

The Bottom Line:

FNB is back in the driver's seat after stuffing Old Pam in the trunk. Plus, she washed the windshield to see things clearer.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam wants to be more honest (external honesty will lead to internal honesty)

2) Pam is working on being more assertive (confidence builder)

3) Pam is getting closer to becoming FNB

4) Pam dumped Roy

5) Pam admitted she had feelings for Jim

JAM Pessimist:

1) Elements of Old Pam are still lingering

2) Pam isn't ready to be with Jim

3) Pam's confidence is fragile

Questions to Ponder:

1) Is Pam done with Roy for good?

2) Should Pam tell Jim she dumped Roy?

3) Should Pam warn Jim about Roy?

4) Did Pam make a mistake in telling Roy about Casino Night? (Should she have told him?)

5) How far off is Pam from her final transformation into FNB? What else does she need to do?

6) How will Pam's newfound honesty and assertiveness translate to Jim? Will she try it out on him the same way she did with Roy, the bartender, and the camera?
Chapter End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans