- Text Size +
In an amazing turn of events, Pam is energetic, happy, and full of spark as she spends almost an entire episode by Jim's side. Even more encouraging is the return of non-verbal communication between Jim and Pam. It's been a long time since they've communicated with each effectively on any level. The heartbreak and turmoil that dominated their relations in the break room have apparently been put on hold as both enjoy each other's company once again. It seems odd at first, given the tumultuous interaction in The Negotiation. However, an adjustment to the timeline between episodes may help to explain the gap.

The events of The Negotiation most likely occurred soon after Cocktails. A safe guess is anywhere from two to three weeks. It's enough time for Roy's temper to simmer before he attacked Jim, yet not enough time for Roy to let it go. Roy himself said, "I wasn't going to do anything, but I kept thinking of you two together," which indicates he thought about it for a little while beforehand.

Phyllis's appearance in The Negotiation also helps seeing as it's the first time she's been seen since her wedding. She stated in Phyllis's Wedding that her honeymoon was going to be 6 weeks. If we place the events of The Negotiation in mid-march, her reappearance is right on schedule. Given Jim and Pam's thawed out relations, Safety Training is close to a real time episode, which means it's happening two to three weeks after The Negotiation, (early April).

Andy's time in anger management also helps to realign the timeline. He left in mid-January and is now back, approximately 10 weeks later. This revised timeline helps to create a gap of time that allows for a relaxation of tensions between Jim and Pam. It's doubtful they'd being hanging out so easily if the break room conversation was only a week old. They've obviously had time to let things settle between them. (That was fun! I used my Dunder Mifflin calendar from the Season 2 Severance Package DVD set to figure out the timeline! I'm such a dork!)

As a result of easing tensions, Pam has found a new confidence around Jim and is letting her light shine. She is doing exactly what we need her to do. In the spirit of heightened subtlety, Pam has realized the key to winning Jim's attention is to simply be herself. Her personality is what landed Jim in her corner in the first place. All Pam needs to do is let her personality sparkle when it counts, (when Jim is watching). Throughout the day, Pam was simply being Pam. Essentially, she is reminding Jim of why he fell for her without even really trying.

The lessons she learned in The Merger and Ben Franklin have not been forgotten. Pam is bringing Jim back to Scranton (her) and away from Stamford (Karen), (see the analysis for The Negotiation on the JP for this reference!). Pam has Jim's attention throughout the day and she doesn't let it go to waste. She is, however, being careful and isn't forcing anything. She knows how skittish Jim can be, so she's remaining subtle. In general, her charm and warmth is natural rather than contrived.

That being said, she's not exactly sitting back and waiting for him anymore either. If Jim is in front of her, he's going to see the Pam he fell in love with. He's also going to see the shiny new aspect of FNB as she exudes confidence and honesty. Pam's newfound emotional honesty is beginning to translate to Jim, even if somewhat unwittingly. Part of Pam's confidence around Jim emanates from a new sense of self, while the rest comes from knowing what she wants. Pam isn't brave enough to make a move quite yet, as she is still bound by her moral center. But, FNB is now entrenched in her being and that is making an impression on Jim. It's just who she is and it's naturally shaping her interaction with Jim. She is no longer completely trapped by her feelings. Instead, she is liberated and that shows as every time Pam smiles at Jim.

Aside from cool down time and Pam's confidence, Jim and Pam were able to find common ground and relax with one another due to two distractions: betting games and Michael. They have a long history of connecting with humor and there was plenty of opportunities to laugh and joke around as they hung out. Karen was noticeably on the sidelines as Jim and Pam connected with their old past times of poking fun at co-workers and marveling at Michael's idiocy. Karen said it best with, "I'm getting cleaned out." As Jim and Pam continue to connect, she'll be out of more than just her money.

The Jellybean Bet:

Kevin, Jim, Oscar and Karen are gathered around Pam's desk as they guess how many jellybeans are in the candy dish. It's immediately noticeable by Pam's posture and body language that she is confident and cheerful. Pam likes the game and is very playful and she moves the candy dish from person to person as they place their bets. Karen's guess of 51, elicits disdain from Jim and Kevin. Jim goes as far as to tell Karen, "Don't be that person." Pam surprisingly steps up and defends Karen's strategy, "It's called being smart," as she looks at both Jim and Karen. Pam isn't intimidated by Karen, nor does she feel threatened by her any longer.

There's actually a little hidden message in Pam's statement. She's actually lightly flirting with Jim as she defends Karen. Pam has little attitude in her body language, while she's being playful and cute. She tosses a quick glance at Jim which indicates the statement was directed at him more than it was at Karen. She's poking fun at Jim, Well, you're the one dating "that person."

Pam dumps the jellybeans and counts them while the group anxiously awaits the results. She happily proclaims Jim the winner. Pam is obviously enjoying the distraction of the game. She likes to play and games in general, but it's giving her an opportunity to hang out with Jim without the tension. It feels like the good old days when he hung at her desk on a regular basis. Oddly enough, Kevin brings up this very fact as he cries foul, "That is not fair. He has spent hours up here at reception with you. Hours and hours. . . . No, constantly, for like years."

The camera doesn't reveal Pam's expression, but Kevin's statement has to hit home with her. Pam misses Jim's presence at her desk, so having him at her desk now means a lot to her, even if there are three other people along for the ride. Part of her likes it that Kevin is reminding Jim about his past behavior and is maybe even hoping it'll remind Jim of his feelings.

Kelly's Netflix Story:

There isn't a lot of JAM interaction in this segment, but there is some symbolism. Aside from Ryan, Jim and Pam are the only two winners in the game. In each of the bets that take place one or both of the win something, while Karen is on the loser list. Karen is clearly out of her element while Jim and Pam are totally at home with betting and each other.

On a side note, Pam's little dance is absolutely adorable. It's another indicator of Pam's playful nature. It's good to see her having a good time and happy after all the turmoil and chaos that has engulfed her life. If only Jim turned around to see her "happy dance." It surely would've made him smile.

Creed's Apple:

Again, there isn't a lot of JAM interaction, but it does carry some significance. Jim and Pam work as a team to set up a bet of whether Creed will eat a potato in place of his apple. Pam walks up to Creed and talks to him long enough to distract him while Jim replaces his apple with a potato. The synergy of Jim and Pam is readily apparent as the transaction take place smoothly and seamlessly. This interaction is highly reminiscent of their teamwork in The Return as they hide Andy's cell phone and tag team calling the number to complete the prank. Jim and Pam may have hit a rough spot, but the connection has not been broken.

Once again, Karen is left out as she fails to collect on the bet, while Jim and Pam cash in. Karen follows up her loss with a talking head, "I don't know this place as well as I thought I did. I'm getting cleaned out." In all reality, Karen doesn't know Jim as well as she thought, nor does she fully understand the connection he shares with Pam.

Parking Lot:

Jim and Pam stand near one another as Michael and Dwight perform their little skit. The distraction of Michael gives Jim and Pam a reason to talk. Michael has traditionally been a favorite topic of discussion between them, (The Client, Performance Review, Back From Vacation, etc.). Pam decides to take advantage of Michael's antics and Jim's close proximity by initiating small talk that is laced with her trademark humor and light sarcasm. Pam turns to Jim and asks, "What are the odds that this is in any way real?" It's her way incorporating the spirit of the day's betting, while also poking fun at Michael. Jim responds in kind, "I'd say like 10,000 to one." Pam nods in response, thrilled that Jim accepted her invitation to joke around with her. He nods along with her acknowledging the joke and sharing the humor.

The key here is that Pam initiated. She didn't wait for Jim to come to her. Instead, she took the reins and brought Jim back to a familiar place -- joking around about Michael. Humor has always been a connecting factor. This is very FNB and very encouraging. It is essential that FNB traits become a regular behavior pattern. Pam is well on her way to achieving this goal. Michael's antics have given them a reason to exchange glances and chat in the past and it appears that still rings true. It's something both of them "get" and it serves as an inside joke. FNB is smart enough to knows and uses it to her advantage, albeit on a subconscious level.

The Castle:

The discovery of the "bouncy" castle behind the hedge adds a new level of humor to Michael's rooftop antics. Jim and Pam run over for a closer look. Jim and Pam exchanged amused looks as the arrive at the castle. Again, the humor and ridiculousness of the situation is bringing them closer to together. They know what the other is thinking, so no words are necessary. Non-verbal communication is returning to their relationship after a long drought.

Pam is the first to realize Michael's intentions with castle and immediately tells Jim, "Oh my God, he's gonna jump." Jim then see the gravity of the situation and says, "He's going to kill himself pretending to kill himself." Pam responds with a worried, "Yeah." This shows another element of the connecting factor that Michael provides. Pam and Jim may enjoy cracking a good joke at Michael's expense, but they also look out for him. Their concern for him is as equally binding as their jokes. Both dash back out to the parking lot to talk him out of his plan.

Pam on the Megaphone:

When Jim is unsuccessful in convincing Michael not to jump, Pam grabs the megaphone and tries her hand at bring Michael down from the roof without jumping. Pam once again radiates her natural warmth and charm as she says, "Hey Michael, I have a present for you, but you have to come down to get it." Pam is worried about Michael, but she can't let go of the humor associated with his actions. Her statement is aimed primarily at swaying Michael against the idea of jumping, but it's also poking fun at him as her tone is very playful.

Pam is clearly amused by the situation despite the very real possibility that Michael could hurt himself. She looks at Jim and shakes her head while smiling. She is again inviting him to join her in making fun of Michael. She is silently asking him, Can you believe this!? Jim once again accepts her invite and smiles back equally amused. This serves as another instance of non-verbal communication between Jim and Pam via humor. Up to this point, Jim and Pam have rarely shared more than one instance of non-verbal communication in one day. This is indeed encouraging! Furthermore, the fact that Pam is able to pull Jim into her world once again speaks volumes of FNB's power. Pam is simply irresistible.

Darryl on the Megaphone:

Pam's best attempts at sweet talking Michael down from the ledge simply aren't enough and Darryl decides to take over. As Darryl talks, it hard not to notice just how close Jim and Pam are standing to one another. What's more is that they are extremely comfortable given their close propinquity. Darryl attempts to quell Michael by bringing up his relationship with Jan. Michael responds with, "It's complicated with Jan. I don't know where I stand or what I want." Ironically, Michael's statements about Jan apply directly to Jim and Pam as they stand together. Neither knows where they stand with the other on an emotional level.

Michael goes on to say, "The sex isn't nearly as good as it used to be." Pam immediately looks at Jim and he returns the favor as both share another joke between them without saying a word. They just can't help themselves. Their expressions are highly reminiscent of facial expressions they exchanged in Performance Review as they overhear Jan and Michael arguing at the elevator. It's beyond encouraging to see non-verbal communication happening for a third time. Hopefully, they won't lose the link and will continue this pattern in subsequent episodes.

The Bottom Line:

Pam and Jim's communication lines appear to be up and running once again as they spoke to each other on many occasions without saying a word. This is of paramount importance and JAM thrives on non-verbal communication. The link between them has not been broken despite the negative events that transpired. It was just a little drought and clearly the rain has started to fall!

Pam has figured out that she is the one who needs to send the signal to Jim. She can't wait for him to come to her, as she will be waiting forever. She has discovered that all she has to do is be herself and Jim will come around. The confidence and honesty that shines in Pam's eyes is luring Jim back to her corner. The emotional honesty she currently understands is driving all her actions. Pam's newly acquired heightened subtlety is all about dropping little pieces of her heart like breadcrumbs all the while hoping Jim will pick them up and find his way home.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1. Pam still has emotional honesty
2. FNB traits are beginning to become a regular behavior pattern
3. Pam flirted with Jim
4. Pam isn't afraid of Karen (this is key for redrawing her moral center boundaries)
5. Pam got Jim's attention

JAM Pessimist:

1. Pam is still bound by her moral center

JAM Song of the Week:

This is a new feature that showcases songs that relate to the state of JAM on a weekly basis, providing one can be found! This selection is a nice interpretation of Jim from Pam's perspective.

Kettle's On
Artist: The Feeling
Album: Twelve Stops & Home

Questions to Ponder:

1. Is Pam doing enough to get Jim's attention? Should she be doing anything differently?

2. There has been a lot of debate of whether it's "right" for Pam to make a move on Jim while he is with Karen. What do you think? What are the pros and cons to of making her move?

3. What is your assessment of the timeline? How much time has passed between Cocktails, The Negotiation and Safety Training? Is everything in real time or are adjustments necessary?

4. How strong is Pam? Are we overestimating her FNB status or has she hit her stride?

5. Just for fun: If you had your way, what would you have Pam do to get Jim's attention. But there's one rule, it has to fall under the category of heightened subtlety!
Chapter End Notes:
Commonly Used Acronyms:
PD = Pam Dichotomy,
JP = Jim Paradox,
CN = Casino Night,
FNB = Fancy New Beesly,
QTP = Questions to Ponder



This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans