- Text Size +

As established in Part 1, FNB is firmly entrenched as a permanent fixture in Pam's personality.  She is brimming with strength, confidence, and most importantly happiness.  Although, Pam has found internal happiness, she is not invincible.  In the middle segment of The Job, Pam is faced with several situations that test her strength and prod her vulnerabilities.  Her happiness isn't foolproof and she has holes where jealousy and sadness creep through.  However, Pam's metamorphosis into FNB has changed how Pam deals with her emotions.  She doesn’t hide from them anymore, nor does she allow them to control her.  Watching Jim and Karen is difficult, but she is able to handle it with thicker skin.  She still aches a little from Jim’s absence (as a result of their changed status), but it doesn’t hold her back or keep her from moving forward.  FNB has resolve and determination that was completely out of Old Pam’s grasp.  

As stated in Part 1, Pam can be happy without Jim, but it’s important to note she prefers to be with him.  She still loves him and that puts her in a tough spot. Pam has to learn how to be Jim’s friend when she wants “more than that.”  Just as Jim is faced with a decision, (see JP), Pam is faced with the decision to be happy or to be miserable.  By accepting herself and her situation Pam has made her choice to focus on being happy.  All she has to do now is plug the holes by learning her new role as Jim’s friend.  At this point, Pam realizes she can’t have the same “friendship” she had with Jim before.  She now knows that was more than a friendship and their current status won’t allow for that type of relationship.  With these realizations, Pam has found the strength and courage to push forward in her life with a smile.  She spent 10 years being held back and miserable and she’s not about to put herself in that position again.  Her situation with Jim is sometimes difficult, but she knows she is in a better place within herself. 

Karen’s Request:

After Pam’s earlier confrontation with Karen, she finds herself in front of Karen again.  Michael’s issues with Jan prompts him to ask Pam to gather all the women in the conference room, (except Meredith, she’s an alternate!).  She walks up to Karen’s desk on her way into the conference room.  She tells Karen, “So, uh, Michael needs us in the conference room.“  She’s a little nervous and she doesn’t make eye contact right away.  She fidgets with her notebook as she speaks but soon settles down. 

Her nerves are understandable given the fact she just had a very difficult conversation with Karen in the break room.  Pam is concerned about things being weird between the two of  them.  Any tension between herself and Karen will translate to Jim.  The last thing Pam wants is to clutter the air with tension again.  Her tone is very friendly and warm, but it’s also strong.  She wants to show Karen she isn’t a threat and that things don’t have to be difficult between them. 

Pam already knows they will never be BFF’s but she knows it’s important to keep things genial and civil.  Her strength in this scene isn’t obvious, but she is showing a huge amount of courage.  Instead of shying away from Karen she stood in front of her with grace.  Karen asks Pam, “Is it Jan again?”  Pam nods silently as she starts to head for the conference room again.  Pam thought she was in the clear and that everything was fine between them.  That is until Karen asks her, “Hey, um, before I leave tonight, would you mind making a half a dozen copies of Jim’s and my sales reports for our interviews tomorrow?”  Pam glances at the camera clearly annoyed that Karen is asking her do such a menial task.  The job is beneath her and knows Karen is doing this on purpose to put her in her place.  Pam says, “Uh, sure,” in response as she takes the paperwork from Karen.  She doesn’t really have choice about taking the job if she wants to avoid creating tension. Karen is throwing her weight around as Jim’s girlfriend to elevate herself and deflate Pam.   It’s an intimidation tactic that Pam is onto from the start and FNB won’t stand for it.  

Looking Karen straight in the eye Pam says, “I really hope you get the job.”  She again uses a very warm and friendly tone, but it’s also got a little force. Part of Pam’s well wishes are genuine, but her statement was more about leveling the playing field.  Pam knew Karen wanted to get her flustered the same way she did in the kitchen in Ben Franklin.  By staying cool and collected Pam is letting Karen know she can’t be intimidated or pushed down anymore.  Her well wishes are her answer to sending Karen this message without creating any tension.  However, in the back of her mind she’s telling Karen, Don’t even try it. Pam walks away from Karen’s desk knowing she kept her status as Karen’s equal.  

Conference Room:

Michael pleas with the women of the office for advice on what to do about Jan.  He explains that Jan wants to get back together.  Discussion ensues on what Michael wants and he says he doesn’t want to, but it’s clear to Pam he needs a little more of a push to stick to a decision.  She tells Michael, “This was a terrible relationship.  You were not happy when you were with her.”  Pam’s advice comes from her own experience.  She now has the hindsight of her relationship with Roy to understand that relationships are supposed to make you happy and not miserable. 

Her hindsight and understanding of her past opened up the path to the happiness she has today.  She goes on to say, “You’re so much happier now.”  Pam’s advice is again coming from her heart.  She figured this out for herself after a long year of struggling.  She is happier now with herself, even though she is not with Jim.  She leaves him with one more piece of advice, “Just go in there and be strong.”  She knows all about being strong.  She learned the importance of strength in life and how key it is to being happy. Old Pam wouldn’t be able to give this advice, but FNB knows what she is talking about! 

Jan’s “Big News”:

Jan emerges from Michael’s office with her new physique in clear view.  Pam is shocked and says, “Oh my God.”  She says it mostly to herself and doesn’t really expect anyone to respond to her, least of all Jim.  She is both surprised and thrilled when he turns around with a playful grin on his face.  She plays along happily by mouthing “Huge!” while miming a large chest with her hands.  He jokes back, “Bigger actually.” To which she whispers, “That’s crazy.”  Pam is soaking up this moment with Jim.   

The rest of the world likely disappeared for Pam as she shared a laugh with her Old Jim.  For this tiny moment, he came “back” from wherever he’s been hiding.  As always, humor connects Jim and Pam like nothing else.  She has him all to herself and she’s going to take it for all it’s worth.  Not wanting to lose the moment, Pam takes the joke further and mouths “Wow” with an animated face and further hand movement hoping to make him laugh again.  She succeeds as he smiles and quietly chuckles. 

Karen walks up to Jim and deflates Pam’s bubble.  Karen put herself right in Pam’s line of sight, effectively cutting Pam off from Jim.  She lost her moment with him.  It was a harsh reminder than things are different.  Better, but still different.  Pam is obviously saddened and jealous by Karen’s presence.  Despite her acceptance of the situation it’s still hard to watch Jim with Karen.  No matter how happy Pam is, it doesn’t negate the fact that she loves Jim and can’t be with him.  She may have found a way to be happy no matter his role in her life, but it’s still hard to let him go.  

In this instance it’s even more difficult because Karen abruptly interrupted her time with Jim.  It literally jolted Pam back to the reality that the Jim in front of her is not Old Jim.  Her face may have had jealousy written all over it, but her eyes also showed how much she misses him.  Pam is in the tough position of having to learn how to be Jim’s friend with Karen in the picture.  She is effectively finding herself in the same spot Jim resided in during Seasons 1 and 2.  Karen is to Pam what Roy was to Jim.  Pam has a more difficult task in that she has to find the new boundaries of the friendship.  The friendship may be repaired, but Pam is still having to grapple with the fact that she doesn’t have him to herself any longer.  The friend zone can’t operate the same way it did before Casino Night.  She’s bound to hit some bumps along the way and this scene is one of those bumps. 

Talking Head #2:

In reference to the previous scene Pam addresses her reaction to Jim and Karen, “No, it’s fine.  I’m sure it must have been weird for Jim when Roy and I were joking around. . . that one time.”  Pam is a little upset, but the FNB in her refuses to let it take her down.  It’s obvious she’s still jealous, but she’s also very understanding of the situation.  She says “it’s fine” because she knows it has to be fine.  She can’t get upset over Jim and Karen.  It will do nothing but bring her down.  If she wants to be happy, she has to accept Karen’s role in Jim’s life.  Interestingly, she is very empathetic to Jim’s past point of view.  She clearly understands where he is coming from both then and now.  Pam may not like watching Jim with Karen, but she understands why he is with her.   It doesn’t make it any easier to see him with her, but it does help Pam be more accepting of her reality. 

Pam jokes about her relationship with Roy with heavy sarcasm.  She still carries the understanding that her relationship with Roy was wrong.  Only now, she can see the humor of her mistakes.  Both aspects of her statement help Pam to realize she is better off where she is right now regardless of her status with Jim. 

Pam may have taken a new stance of being more open and honest, but she still hides some of her vulnerabilities in front of the camera.  She is clearly irked and jealous, but she is careful to shield these emotions.  This seems like Old Pam, but in all actuality it’s a combination of FNB and basic human nature.  FNB has the determination and resolve to be happy and that overrides everything else.  She allows the jealousy and sadness to run its course, but she will not allow either of those emotions run her life.  Aside from this, Pam hides her jealousy and sadness as per human nature.  Most people don’t like to broadcast their weaknesses and Pam is no different.  Especially since Pam feels so strong as a person.

Wishing Jim Luck:

As Jim heads over to the coat rack to grab his jacket, Dwight announces it’s time to begin the interview process for his #2.  Dwight’s lunacy switches on Pam’s sarcasm and she shoots a knowing glance towards Jim.  She is again grabbing a moment with him by sharing the humor that is Dwight.  It’s something they’ve always shared and it connect her to him, even if for a brief moment. 

Karen then starts heading towards the exit and tells everyone to wish her and Jim luck.  Dwight goes on a rant and tells everyone they can only wish Michael luck.  Of course, everyone completely ignores him!  Just as Jim and Karen start heading towards the door, Pam looks at Jim and wishes him, “Good luck.”  Her tone is very warm as she genuinely hopes things go well for Jim.  He replies, “Thanks” and smiles at her.  She liked it that he flashed her such a warm smile, so she smiles back at him lovingly.  As he walks out, she continues to stare at the door.  

Even though the air is clear, she still misses him.  It’s so hard to watch him move away from her and towards Karen both literally and figuratively.  She knows she could lose him again to New York, but the reality sets in that she has to let him go.  It all comes down to the old adage, “If you love someone, sometimes you have to let them go.”  She had her chance and she knows she blew it.  Accepting that fact entails the possibility that Jim may not be part of her life.  He’ll always be a friend, but a different friend than what she had before.  It’s a loss she has come to terms with, but it still hurts.  She is saddened again, but once more she doesn’t let it overrun her outlook on her life.

Talking Head #3

Pam’s odd mix of happiness and sadness is showcased best in her third talking head.  She starts out by saying, “I’m happy for him.  I hope he gets the job.  I really just want him to be happy.”  Pam genuinely wants Jim to be happy no matter the path he chooses.  Ideally, she would like the path to lead to her, but she’s already accepted the possibility that he won’t return to her.  Essentially, Pam wants Jim to find the same happiness she has found for herself.  She knows he’s not happy and that saddens her.  Her statement, “I hope he gets the job.” is genuine. Her tone is warm, but also a little hesitant.  If getting a new job in New York will make Jim happy, she really does want him to get the job.  Her hesitancy is rooted in the fact that she knows she will likely lose him completely if he moves away again.  However, she’s more concerned about Jim’s happiness than her own desire for his presence in her life.  

Pam then starts to ramble “And I know that sounds cliché, and I know saying it sounds cliché sounds cliché.  Maybe I’m being cliché, I don’t care.  “Cause I am what I am.  That’s Popeye.” She lost her train of thought as she is a little flustered.  She breaks eye contact with the camera as she struggles to regain her composure.  She is happy in general, but she was saddened to watch Jim leave.  Even though she wants him to happy, she is worried he’ll leave again for good.  She may want the best for him, but that doesn’t make it any easier to watch him walk out of her life.  It still hurts.  A little piece of her heart walked out that door.   She is trying to hide this from the camera. 

Once again, Pam is very conscious of her vulnerabilities.  Part of her is also wondering if Jim is doing the right thing.  She doesn’t know if this is what will truly make him happy, but she is willing to support his decision to go to New York.  Towards the end of her statement FNB recovers.  Her “popeye” statement “I am what I am” is Pam reminding herself that she has a lot going for herself, even without Jim.  She will be fine and she will happy.   FNB is strong enough to pull her through anything life throws at her.  Even losing Jim to Karen and New York.

The Bottom Line:

Pam loves Jim enough to let him go. 

- - -

JAM Song of the Week:

I heard this song while I was writing and the lyrics are all over Pam's face every time she looks at Jim.

Song: True Colors

Artist: Phil Collins

Album: Hits

 

Questions to Ponder:

1) What remains of Old Pam?  Do we have anything to worry about? Is Pam as strong as she thinks?

2) At this point, has Pam given up on any possibility of having a relationship that extends beyond friendship with Jim?  Why or Why not? 

3) Assess Pam’s behavior around Jim.  How well is she handling her status with Jim and the situation at hand?  Should she be doing anything differently?  Can she?

4) What does the friend zone entail from Pam’s perspective?  Do any aspects of the pre-CN friendship remain?  What has Pam learned about her new friendship with Jim? 

6) Does Pam think Jim can be happy in New York?  How about with Karen?

 

Chapter End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans