- Text Size +
It appears Pam has figured out that if she's patient with Jim, he will come around. This is the only explanation for Jim feeling comfortable enough to play a prank on her! It was obvious throughout the entire episode that Pam has toned it down a little bit. She learned her lesson in The Merger that coming on too strong will push Jim away. She realized that patience and an open door will pay off in the grand scheme of things. I like to think she realized this once she got home in The Merger.

However, Pam is smart enough not to back down completely. She is still wearing her hair a little softer and a little more make up than she usually does. She's still trying to get his attention, but she's being much more subtle in the behavior department! She's sending friendly signals, but she's not going out any limbs (yet).

We need to give ourselves a pat on the back for predicting humor would be the factor the reconnects JAM. It appears we are right on track. It has started with pranks on each other, (I know why Jim started it, but more on that later!). It stands to reason they will go back to being cohorts for pranks on others in the near future. Let the games (and laughter) begin.

This week's episode was huge for JAM optimism, but we must be careful not to get to overly optimistic. We could be setting ourselves up for major heartbreak! I don't want to end up like Pam in The Merger! I'm maintaining my cautious and skeptical tendencies just in case another sting is in store! I did manage to see cracks in the JAM reconnection for the pessimist to stay alive. There is simply no end to the JAM split personality!

Watching Jim & Karen at the copy machine:

Pam catches a glimpse of Karen and Jim together at the copy machine. Her face has a thousand emotions all over it. First and foremost is a quiet jealousy. She is obviously keeping it buried. I can almost feel the fire in her chest. Mixed in with her jealousy is a tinge of envy. Karen is the one with Jim and not her. Pam wants to be in her place more than anything. She has an almost pleading look in her eyes and she looks on the new couple. She's probably asking herself again why she let him go. She knows it could be her with Jim instead of Karen if she had made a different decision on CN.

There may be a little bit of anger directed at herself for what she now views as a huge mistake. Hindsight is 20/20 after all. Pam is also feeling a little bit of helplessness in the situation as a whole. She knows how she feels about him, but she can't do anything about it for a number of reasons. First, Jim is with someone else. There isn't enough in FNB to break down that barrier quite yet. Pam still has a strong sense of morality. She's not about to break up a relationship to fulfill her personal needs.

Plus, she believes Jim is happy with Karen. She doesn't want to take away his happiness. Secondly, she just doesn't know how to go about telling Jim how she feels. She is ill equipped and she's becoming very aware of her inability. This may be where part of her newly toned down behavior comes from. Let's also not forget that Pam is uncertain in how Jim feels about her. She's a little leery to test those waters after The Merger.

As Jim walks away, Pam keeps looking at Karen. Again, we can see that Pam doesn't hate Karen. She liked her when she first met her. That hasn't gone away. As much as Pam hates to admit it, Karen might be good for Jim. That's why she feels the competition. With Katy, it was just pure jealousy. She knew Katy probably wouldn't last. It just drove her nuts that Jim was with her. Karen, however, presents the possibility of long-term relationship and Pam knows it.

At the end of the scene, it's possible to catch a sense of self-doubt on Pam's face. She's questioning whether or not she can even compete with Karen for Jim's affection. Not even FNB can completely fend off self-doubt. This is very Old Pam, but it's understandable. Karen is fulfilling the role Pam wants. That's got to jab at the confidence level a little bit.

Andy Hitting on Pam:

Pam is flabbergasted by Andy asking her out. Of course, the way he asked her was unbelievable funny. Pam deserves huge kudos for not laughing in his face. Her shock must've kept the giggles under control. While Andy is rattling off a list of her most hated things, Pam has a, You've got to be kidding me, look on her face. She's almost pleading with fate that this is a joke.

When Andy gives Jim a smack on the arm, Pam's prayers are answered. It was a joke. Even better, it was tailored by Jim. She is not only relieved, but thrilled and surprised that he was behind this prank. Her relief is centered on Jim somewhat stepping over the barrier between them. She's wearing a, no way, expression on her face as he spins around in his chair. This is rooted in not only realizing that she's the victim of a prank, but also her shock that Jim took this step. She knows this was a big and difficult step for him. It means a lot to her. She's aware he's trying to heal to void and put some of the awkwardness aside with his humorous flare. It's pure Jim and she loves it.

Jim then flashes her a killer "gotcha" look, (I must interject here and gush a little. That was the cutest face I think I've ever seen). She clearly loves the prank, but she equally loves that look he gave have her. Pam now knows that she read Jim's motives for the prank correctly. She gives him a look right back. This is the first successful non-verbal communication we've seen since Jim came back to Scranton, (I could've sworn I heard a collective sigh of relief from all JAM fans when this happened!).

Pam is sending Jim a multitude of messages with her reaction. The obvious interpretation of her expression is, Oh, you're dead. I'm going to get you back. This beckons back to the old days of playful banter. Once the exterior is peeled back, the deeper messages are revealed. She's telling him how surprised and happy she is that he played a prank on her. She needed to know he wants things to be better between them. She's also asking him playfully, What took you so long and where have you been?

As per her new behavior of patience, Pam needed Jim to make the next move. She's been waiting for him to come out and play. Pam is also sending a little thank you to Jim. She appreciated the fact that he brought things a little closer to normal. She knows how difficult it is because she wasn't able to do it herself. Lastly, she's letting him know that she's game for anything in regards to pranks or their relationship. Her face has the, you're on, expression, taunting him to play some more. It's good to have JAM back.

Talking Head:

Pam's face is lit up for the entirety of her talking head. She is elated by what just transpired. Pam is both in hysterics by Andy's performance and shocked at Jim's prank. Her first "wow" is in reference to Andy. Pam found his request to take her out ridiculous and hysterical. She is dumbfounded at Andy's stupidity, yet completely amused. She's amused even more by the fact that Jim played Andy so perfectly. She is still laughing at the joke, because it all makes sense now. She likes being in on the joke, even though she was one of the targets.

Pam's second "wow" is related totally to Jim. Much of Pam's hope has been restored. She is still very surprised by his prank. The prank itself was awesome, but for Jim's motives behind the prank are more amazing to her. We can assume at least a couple of weeks has passed since Jim returned. This is likely the first time things have felt a little more normal between them. Pam knows that Jim took his wall down little bit. This was a big move for him and she knows it. As mentioned above, she's aware that Jim is trying to make things better between them. She knows humor is something special that they share. Hence, her utter joy that he targeted her with a funny prank. Pam's happy she has "her" Jim somewhat back in her life. Things aren't exactly the same, but they are better.

Another reason Pam is so happy has to do the details of the prank. Andy listed everything Pam hates. She knows Andy got that information from Jim. If feels good that he still "knows" her. She feels a glimpse of a connection that has been absent for so long. She no longer feels cast off. Furthermore, Jim's prank and subsequent "look" gives Pam some indicators that Jim might still have feelings for her. She doesn't know how deep they go, but there's hope Jim still loves her. Pam knows she's back in the game. She still has a chance. If that's not a reason to smile, I don't know what is!

Conference Room - Prison Mike:

It's a short scene, but it packs big JAM moment. Pam actually initiated a non-verbal communication with Jim. Michael's antics gave Pam the perfect opportunity to recapture the old days with Jim. Jim's earlier prank made her feel comfortable to try communicating with him. She wants to share another laugh with him. He is more than happy to reciprocate. Pam is thrilled. She has another reason to smile. Her smile during their eye contact is not just because of Michael, it's because she felt another connection with "her" Jim. They are talking to each other again, without having to say a word.

Andy's Banjo Serenade:

Pam next encounter with Andy is "special." Pam's response to Andy is a little bit different as she is now in on the joke. She is totally amused by Andy's banjo and "sexy" falsetto voice. She can hardly keep a straight face, (kudos to Jenna Fischer for managing to keep it together for at least one take). Not only is this little show absolutely ridiculous, but Pam knows Jim put him up to it. She loves being in on the joke even though she is again one of the targets. Pam understands that Jim's prank does not have the same meaning for Andy as it does for her. She knows it goes beyond messing with Andy. It's obvious to her that he's trying to make her laugh, on top of healing the void. Again, this means a lot to Pam.

She looks towards Jim with a big smile on her face. She is sending him another "thank you" for his attempts to make things more normal between them, as well as another good laugh. Her face also betrays her inner thoughts. I can't help but notice that Pam is wearing her emotions on her sleeve much in the same way Jim did in Season 2. She's giving Jim one of those longing looks, just with a smile attached. She probably felt safe enough to give this look because his back was to her. Regardless, she's again glad she has her "friend" back but she's also thinking, God, I love that man. Only "her" Jim could pull off such a well-orchestrated prank and make her so happy. She is delighted that so much of the awkwardness is gone, at least for the time being.

- - -

JAM Optimist:

1) Pam loved Jim's prank. She understood his motives and still played it casual enough to keep him from shying away.

2) Pam feels reconnected to Jim.

3) Pam is being patient, yet persistent. She understands that Jim needs a little time. She's keeping the door open without too much pressure.

4) Non-verbal communication is back!

JAM Pessimist:

1) Pam may get a little too overly optimistic, again. She might jump the gun. She might read too much into Jim's prank and forget to give him his space.

2) The awkwardness may return once the past comes up again. We are not clear of the pain yet.

3) Pam is a little intimidated by Karen. She's doubting her ability to win Jim back. It's not a constant feeling, but it is there.

Questions to Ponder:

1) Is Pam's toned down behavior towards Jim more conscious or subconscious? Is this behavior change an attribute of FNB or Old Pam?

2) Should we be worried that Pam will become overly optimistic again? How should she proceed with Jim? (What's her next move?)

3) Should Pam play a prank on Jim to even up the score? Would this hurt or help JAM's reconnection? What about a prank on someone else?

4) Now that Pam knows Jim is seeing Karen, how careful should Pam be about forging a friendship with her? Will a friendship with Karen effect her chances with Jim? What about any moral implications that might plague Pam's thoughts?

5) Is it appropriate for Pam to get Jim Christmas present? If so, what should she get him?
Chapter End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans