- Text Size +
Jim's paradoxical tendencies continue to manifest themselves as Jim swings like a pendulum between Karen and Pam. Jim's argument with Karen sheds a little more light on his uncertainties of the relationship that first surfaced in The Convict and continued into A Benihana Christmas. Jim is still unsure about Karen and the relationship as a whole, yet he continues the relationship to see if it has a future. It's already been established that Jim is aware on some level that Karen is a rebound, however he is making an honest attempt to get past that aspect of the relationship. His efforts have never been more apparent in this episode, but not without a little push from the unlikely source of Pam. That being said, Jim's fears concerning the progression of his relationship with Karen do get the best of him.

As mentioned many times before, Jim is wary about handing his heart out to anyone. He's been taking his relationship with Karen slowly while he keeps himself in the perpetual limbo. His head telling him to allow a closer relationship with Karen, while his heart is keeping her at arm's length for reasons other than just self preservation. Even though Jim is trying to foster a closer relationship with Karen, he is gravitating towards Pam and has been (albeit very slowly) since his return to Scranton. His fears surrounding Pam are still very much alive, but he is starting to let his guard down. This is due primarily in part to Jim gaining an inkling of insight into how Pam might feel about him in conjunction with his earlier realization in A Benihana Christmas that he still has feelings for her.

On another level, the element of communication has taken an astounding turn for the triangle of Jim, Pam, and Karen. The communication between Jim and Karen breaks down as it hits the speed bump of their argument. On the other hand, Jim and Pam's line of communication deepens considerably as they talk openly and on a deeper non-verbal level. Their link has been somewhat reestablished. It's odd in that Jim can talk to Pam about a much more difficult subject under tension filled circumstances easier than he can talk to Karen about resolving their argument. He's essentially talking to Pam when he should really be talking to Karen.

Jim's behavior is a positive sign that his wall is starting to come down one brick at a time. He's not ready to let Pam in all the way yet, but the fact of the matter is he is entertaining the idea of letting her get closer to him.

With Karen (in Kitchen):

It's obvious Jim and Karen are in the midst of an argument before they even speak. Jim is looking down at the floor, as he usually does when in a difficult situation, and his arms are folded. They aren't facing each other and never make eye contact. Jim is obviously finding it difficult to talk to or communicate with Karen at all. He's nervous to ask her "Do you want to talk about it?" It's interesting that Pam asks this very question later in the episode and it opens up a new line of communication between JAM. For Jim and Karen, it completely shuts down communication. Furthermore, he is taken aback by the little "attitude" Karen gives him when he attempts to talk about it. He was not expecting her to be so angry with him.

Karen's Taking Head:

Even though Jim is not in this scene, Karen gives a little more information about the argument. It's easy to gather from her statements that Jim pretty much freaks out at the prospect of Karen living on the same street he does. He's quoted as saying it "would be like we were living together." This statement obviously relates to Jim's uncertainty with the relationship, only this time he's telling Karen instead of the camera. Jim wants to take it as slow as possible and this feels like a huge jump to him. Geographic distance takes on the same meaning as emotional distance, so it feels like she's getting too close too fast. Jim's wary heart coupled with his newly discovered revelations concerning Karen's rebound status and his feelings for Pam make him even more cautious in his relationship with Karen.

Conference Room:

Jim doesn't expect Karen to walk right by him as he fully expected her to sit in the empty chair next to him. He looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Clearly, he again didn't correctly calculate just how upset Karen is with him. His expression hints at the fact that he doesn't think he did anything wrong, as most people believe when in an argument. However, he knows he's in a lot of trouble with Karen as she's pretty much giving him the evil eye. Jim is at a loss on what to do next. His confusion not only deals with the argument but also in terms of the relationship (stemming back to The Convict and A Benihana Christmas).

Break Room #1:

Jim is tapping and fiddling with his coffee cup as Pam walks into the break room. He is visibly upset even though he is trying to keep it hidden. Pam asks him if he's okay and he answers "yeah" rather unconvincingly. He doesn't even buy it himself. However, he's hoping Pam will let it go. He's flustered when Pam asks him if he's sure he's alright. She caught him and it throws him off guard. She still knows him better than anyone. He nervously answers " Yeah . . . yes," and follows it with a nervous smile and laugh. It's the same type of nervous smile we've seen several times before (most notably in Casino Night and Booze Cruise). It's a nervous tick Jim has when is uncomfortable and nervous. He's hoping Pam will buy it since he tried to make himself look and sound happy, (haven't we all done this?).

Pam's non-verbal cue alerts Jim immediately that he can't hide from her. As he looks up at her he realizes she's not buying it for one second and gives in reluctantly. Jim breaks off all eye contact as he nervously reveals his "stupid fight with Karen." He is fidgeting all over the place with his hands, head, and facial expressions. This is most likely the first time Jim have revealed to Pam that Karen is the woman he's seeing. The expression on his face after saying her name is the look of a man who just let the cat out the bag. He pretty much threw it out there with a "here goes nothing" attitude. Pam pretty much has him cornered, so he really has no choice. Jim thinks Pam is going to walk away at this point. When she asks if he wants to talk about it, Jim is very surprised. His "Really," shows Jim's apprehension with talking to Pam about Karen, as well as his surprise that Pam is willing to talk to him about it.

The past makes this a weird and awkward topic of conversation. This is a gray area that hangs heavy between them. Jim knows just as well as Pam that this is a big line to cross. Jim isn't sure if he should or if he even wants to talk about his relationship with Karen. It's been kept rather quiet and now here it is in the open with none other than Pam. However, Jim's apprehension is coupled with the need to talk to someone. Pam's traditionally been someone he can talk to easily. He's cited this a couple of times in Booze Cruise and The Secret. Even though this is something that attracts Jim to Pam, it's outweighed by his need to talk to someone who really knows him.

Break Room #2:

As Jim is telling Pam his problem, he further reveals that he and Karen have been dating for about a month. His relationship with Karen is now out in the open, so Jim's a little more comfortable sharing some details with Pam. As he tells her he's uncomfortable with Karen moving onto his street, saying its "a little close, a little bit much." Jim is again showing his uncertainties with the relationship. It's toned down a little, but he's freaking out even as he tells Pam, (I can't even imagine his first reaction when Karen told him!). It's obvious he thinks he's right in this scenario and that it's silly that Karen is upset with him. Internally, Jim's wary heart is taking over. It's making sure Jim doesn't get too close to Karen. His head might as well be talking to a brick wall when it comes to Karen sharing the same street.

After Jim tells his story, he awaits a response from Pam. He can tell she's uncomfortable so her nonchalant and uncertain "hmmm" sets off an alarm in Jim. He immediately notices she is holding something back as his eyes snap towards her. He gives her a quick look that's hoping she'll open up. He knows she's thinking about more than his problem. He knows she's stalling by staring down at the table. Jim calls her on it by emulating her facial expression and "hmmm" and attaching a "what?" to get her attention and prod her to tell him what she's thinking. Furthermore, he's got that nervous smile and laugh going on again. Only this time, it's because he's anxious. There's a flicker of realization that Pam might have feelings for him, (it's a teeny tiny inkling not a huge realization!). This both scares him and intrigues him, but on a very subtle and subconscious level.

He's so confused about Karen right now that this isn't as scary a thought as it was in The Merger. He gives her one of those patented "looks" after he prods her with "what." It's fleeting and hard to catch due to funky editing, but it is there. However, the Fear Paradox keeps him from taking it any further than a look. Jim won't take that chance again. This section of the scene mirrors the interaction between Jim and Pam in Casino Night. In both instances, he's trying to get her to reveal something. In poker, he's trying to gauge her hand and here he's trying to prod her spill her thoughts. He knows she's holding back and this is his way of calling her on it. Subconsciously, he's attempting to open the door.

Pam responds to his nudge by asking how far Karen currently resides from him. Jim isn't satisfied with this response as it doesn't give him an answer to his problem or any more clues on what Pam is thinking. He's clearly frustrated as he answers "Yeah, I guess," but he's also resigning to the fact that Pam's thoughts will remain locked tightly inside her head. He's not going to get anywhere on either front. Pam throws a curve ball and tells him he should "go easy on her." Jim's head snaps around surprised at Pam's advice as this goes against what Jim thought he had sensed from Pam. Jim was expecting and possibly even subconsciously wanted a different response. To him, it sounds like Pam is telling him to pursue a closer relationship with Karen (from Jim's perspective that's the point of contention in the argument). Pam sent a signal that she's only interested in being his friend, which he actually welcomes but, it seems clear to him now that Karen is really his only relationship option. Pam's advice leads Jim to believe he "misinterpreted" her, which will naturally push him back towards Karen.

Break Room #3:

The air is a little thick at the beginning of the scene, as an awkward pause has just transpired. Jim notices that Pam is a little uncomfortable and most likely is himself. He breaks the silence by offering a heartfelt thanks to Pam for helping him with his problem. He's letting her know how much it means to him that she listened. Despite his perceived misinterpretation, he knows this conversation was just as hard for her as it was for him. He's also hidden a little "I miss you." in his thank you. He seems relieved that a new line communication has been opened between them. Just as in The Convict, Jim knows he needs her in his life in some capacity.

Pam's transition to humor is a welcome change of pace. Jim smiles as Pam makes a joke about Michael, but it's not quite enough to pull him out of his dismal state. Jim has his head down and he's back to picking at his cup. He's still bothered by his problem with Karen, but he's also troubled by the advice that Pam offered. Furthermore, he's revealed a very vulnerable side of himself and that's tough to face even after the fact. He's still reeling from all of this.

This moment of silence is also happening on another level. Jim and Pam are avoiding the BIG topic that neither is willing to bring up. Casino Night is hanging like a thick fog between them. Pam breaks the silence and lightens the mood by mentioning more of Michael's antics. Jim responds in kind by making a joke to make her laugh. Humor is once again an easy escape from dealing with difficult emotions that both are feeling. Both are noticeably more relaxed and conversation easily flows as both take advantage of a newly reestablished connection.

A Call From Jan:

This is a split second scene, but it's worth mentioning! After Michael's interesting list of excuses for why he can't take Jan's phone call, Jim turns around looks at Pam for some non-verbal communication. It's right on par with what was seen in the conference room in The Convict. Look fast, it flies by very quickly!

With Karen (in Warehouse):

Jim finally hands Karen a piece of paper that is presumably a lease agreement for the rental on his street. Interestingly he takes a step back from her after handing it to her, indicating that he's not entirely positive of this decision, which matches his overall feel for the relationship. However, his conversation with Pam strengthened his resolve to pursue a relationship with Karen and get over his feelings for Pam. His head has officially regained control of relationship decisions.

- - -

Questions to Ponder:

1) Was is right for Jim to talk to Pam about his argument with Karen? Why did he ultimately decided to talk to Pam about the argument?

2) Is Jim's newly reestablished friendship with Pam helping or hurting his relationship with Karen? Assess both short-term and long-term effects.

3) Did Jim have ulterior motives while discussing his relationship with Karen? (Was he trying to make Pam jealous?)

4) Do you agree that this is the first time Jim has told Pam that Karen is the woman he's seeing?

5) Who was being more unreasonable in the argument: Jim or Karen? (I just had to ask out of sheer curiosity.)
Chapter End Notes:
This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans