- Text Size +

In the first segment of The Job, it's obvious that Jim is at a loss when it comes to Pam, his feelings, and Karen. The struggle between his head and his heart has reached the pinnacle of conflict.   He has a huge choice in front of him, but he has absolutely no idea how to proceed.  As a result, Jim's self defense mechanisms step in to put him in his all too familiar mode of limbo, (see The Convict and A Benihana Christmas for this concept), until he sorts through the whirlwind of emotions set off by Pam's beach day speech.  However, Jim self defense mechanisms are functioning at a different level.  The wall is down, but has been replaced by a glass barrier.  The window allows him to see Pam, but he is still protected.  Albeit, by a very fragile and easily broken barrier, but it provides enough of a defense to keep Pam from totally breaking through to him for the time being. 

Jim clearly enjoys the relaxation of tensions between himself and Pam.  However, it's also causing him to return to his previous escape tactics.  Jim continues his facade of New Jim with Karen and his new possible escape of New York.  He has willingly put himself back into the "friend zone," as a temporary safe haven.  It's all about keeping Pam near without letting her get too close, while he sorts out the mess that is his life and his feelings.  The fear paradox is at the root of this newly employed defense tactic.  Jim's underlying fear of losing Pam has been around since Season 1, but it's now coupled with the fear of his feelings, her feelings, and getting hurt again.  He needs her, but he is terrified of actually making the decision to be with her.  

The friend zone keeps Pam in his life, but also allows him to continue to explore the possibility of moving on with Karen.  It's limbo at it's finest.  Part of Jim's motivations to explore his relationship with Karen, lie with the fact that he is more aware the faults in his relationship with Karen.  He's starting to see through the facade of  not only Karen but New Jim.  He's not sure if he wants to continue on the route to a new life or go back to a life where Pam is waiting for him.  Pam's open door is tempting, but fear enlivens the prospect of a new life in a new place.

Special Note: As in the PD, the beach day flashback scenes will be analyzed in chronological order, rather than as they appeared in the episode in order to create stronger continuity between Beach Games and The Job.

Beach Scene #1 - Jim Responds to Pam's Speech:

From Beach Games analysis:

He sits stoically as he stares at Pam's previous position.  The shock of it all is still slowing down his brain function as he tries to sort through everything Pam just told him.  He can't bring himself to look away from Pam's spot.  In a sense, Pam's former space is now occupied by the truth.  All the feelings he's denied are staring him in the face and like Pam, they refuse to be invisible.    His unmoving body does little convey the overwhelming torrent of emotions raging inside of him.  His face, however, gives him away as it carries an expression of bewilderment. The dam has broken and Jim is once again flooded with the feelings he's been denying and burying for so long.  The "water" is flooding every part of his subconscious and conscious thoughts.  The wall is  crumbled at his feet.  There is no escape and no protective barrier.

Despite being stunned and overwhelmed, Jim knows he has to talk to Pam.  Part of him wants to make sure she's okay, but the rest of him feels compelled to respond to her with the same kind honesty.  So many things were left unexplained and unsaid between them and he wants to take advantage of the opportunity Pam has laid out before him.  However, Jim isn't about to head into the situation with no defenses in place.  He can't let her see the emotional firestorm that is raging inside of him.  The last time he allowed her to see his vulnerabilities he was crushed.  He can't afford to do that again. 

Instead of a wall, Jim has the equivalent of a glass barrier.  He can see Pam and she can see him, but she can't get too close.  It's a fragile barrier, but it's enough for Jim to be able to function in an emotionally charged situation.  He walks up to her with his head down and his hands stuffed in his pockets.  He is nervous and remains a little shaken from Pam’s earlier revelation.  He takes his place next to her and a long pause ensues as Jim tries to find his words.  He doesn’t know where to start or what to say, so he resorts to a simple ice breaker to ease his way into the conversation, “How are your feet?”  Pam responds, “Medium rare.” Her unexpected humor was a welcome surprise.  He looks at her and smiles warmly.  His smile grows larger and he even chuckles slightly as she makes eye contact and smiles back at him. 

Jim is in awe of the fact that Pam can make him laugh, even in a difficult and awkward situation.  As a result, Jim is much more at ease despite the chattering of his nerves.    He jumps right in and says, “The real reason I went to Stamford was because I wanted to be  . . . . not here.”  He is acknowledging that Stamford was an escape both geographically and emotionally.  Jim knows Pam probably already has an idea on why he left, but he still felt he needed to tell her.  She needs to know his emotional reasons for leaving not just the simple logistics of separating himself from her. 

He starts off his explanation with a stronger tone, but he quickly drifts off when it starts to get emotional. This is testament to the weaker defense barrier.  He needs to let her know she hurt him, but he can’t let her see too much.  There is a pause and loss of eye contact before Jim says, “not here.”  He feels his vulnerabilities surfacing and he’s trying to find the right words.  The torrent of emotions are swirling inside, but he doesn’t want to run the risk of conveying too much outward emotion.  The loss of eye contact results from his nerves as he’s hesitant to cross this line.  He’s opening up to her in way he hasn’t since Casino Night and it’s terrifying. 

Jim knows he can get in a lot of trouble if he uses the wrong words.  His phrase of “not here” says it all but also keeps Jim’s heart well guarded.  Jim makes strong eye contact with Pam when he finally finds his words.  His eyes tell her the words  “not here” means so much more that geographic distance.  All the pain that Jim has held in since CN poured from his eyes and his angst ridden voice.  In two words Jim was able to tell Pam his reasons for leaving boiled down the this very moment or “here” of having to face her and the situation in general.  Jim is telling her he essentially left to avoid the pain, awkwardness, and embarrassment that resulted from Casino Night.  He wanted to escape the deterioration of the relationship with a clean break, not to mention the pain of his broken heart.  

It’s difficult for him to tell her he couldn’t be around her, especially since being with her is all he ever wanted.  Jim is also letting Pam know he is hurting from the distance caused by their fractured relationship.  He, too feels the loss and he never wanted their relationship to be this awkward.  All he knew is that he couldn’t stay in Scranton, it was just too painful.  He is making it very clear that he left of because of her.  This is really the first time that Jim has attempted to tell Pam she broke his heart.  It’s the primary reason he left Scranton and Jim needs Pam to know.  Pam looks at him at simply says, “I know.” Jim needed to hear this from her.  It’s a huge relief that she understands why he left, but it’s also reassuring to know that Pam doesn’t blame him for leaving.

Jim next addresses his behavior since returning to Scranton, “And even though I came back, I just feel like I’ve never really come back.”  This is a direct response to Pam’s earlier “I miss you.”  He knew she missed more than the friendship and that she really missed “him.”  Jim knows he’s a different person, but he’s trying to tell her he had to change.  It was the only way he knew how to get past the pain.  The jury is still out on whether the person he has become is the person he wants to be.  He’s been uncomfortable in his own skin all season long.  The problem is he doesn’t know [i] if [i] he can go back to the Old Jim Pam misses so much.  He misses him too, but the pain he fears so much lies in Old Jim.  Hence, his reasoning in only being able to return geographically, but not emotionally.

Jim’s eye contact throughout his statement is fleeting  as he breaks eye contact with Pam more than he makes eye contact.  The vulnerability he is exhibiting is making him nervous and a little insecure.  It’s the first time he’s talked about this with Pam or even himself.  When he isn’t looking at Pam, he is looking inward.  Although Jim has known all along that he is a new person, he hasn’t fully examined the ramifications of those changes until Pam brought it to his attention.  He realizes he is hurting Pam.  In effect, Jim is apologizing for his cold shoulder.  His statement was short on words, but his face carries the remorse and hurt his words can’t convey.  It’s his way of telling her he didn’t know how to “be” around her and he doesn’t know how to fix it or if he even can.  He’s sorry for not coming back, but he doesn’t think he can come back.  

Pam doesn’t respond right away, but instead peers right into his soul.  She drops another bombshell with “I wish you would.”  Jim returns to his previous mode of stunned silence.  His face is a dead on match to the one he wore following Pam’s speech.  She literally knocked the breath out of him.  Jim realizes Pam has feelings for him.  It’s no longer a hypothetical, but a reality that is staring him in the face.  She is asking for Old Jim to come back. 

He views his new life as “easier” and pain free, but he sees the open door to come back to himself and to her.  It never occurred to him that he could really come back.  It’s tempting and he feels the pull, but the fear paradox keeps him from walking through.  He’s not sure he can go back to being the man that loves Pam, (on a conscious level anyway).  The fear paradox is in full swing as he is afraid to let her in, but he’s also afraid to lose her.  The emotional chaos he’s managed to keep contained is again tearing through him on an internal level.  Part of him wants to hold her in his arms while the rest of him is paralyzed by the fear of getting hurt again.

Beach Scene #2 - The Hug

Pam’s call for the return of Old Jim sends Jim’s defenses into high alert.  Unfortunately, the flashback scene doesn’t document Jim’s dialogue.  His response to Pam’s bombshell is known only through Pam’s talking head as she paraphrases, “He just basically said that, he missed my friendship, too, and I would always mean a lot to him.”  Jim really does miss Pam and the friendship they shared.  He wants the tension and awkwardness to end.  He is exhausted and wants to find some peace.  As hard as he has tried to move on, he’s never been able to sever the connection completely.  The trick therefore becomes, figuring out how to keep her in his life, while keeping his distance at the same time.  

When Jim “tells” Pam he misses her friendship, he is reinstating the friend zone.  The friendship essentially becomes Jim’s new escape.  He can hide there until he figures out his feelings, who he is and what he wants.  Prior to this, the friend zone was his greatest enemy in that it prevented him from telling Pam how he really felt.  In an odd reversal, the friend zone now serves as a safe haven that allows Jim to push his pain aside.  By reestablishing the friendship he keeps himself in emotional limbo.  He can still have Pam in his life while also having the freedom to explore New Jim.  

Jim still feels like he has to move on to make the pain go away.  He is afraid of his feelings, Pam’s feelings and most of all of getting hurt again.  Moving on still seems like the best plan to bypass the pain and the fear.  His head’s logic tells him his best bet is leaving it behind so he doesn’t have to deal with it.  His heart, however, isn’t going to allow him to let her go that easily.  By letting Pam know she would always be special to him, he is creating enough distance between himself and his feelings to keep her from getting to close to him without actually losing her. 

He still can’t admit to himself that he loves her as he fears the pain that admission would entail.  He doesn’t want to hurt Pam anymore and he doesn’t want to hurt anymore either.  The friend zone seemingly provides a safe place where neither will hurt the other.  In effect, renewing the friendship is a way to bypass the pain. With this defense in place, Jim has set himself up for the ultimate decision.  He didn’t close Pam’s door, nor did he walk through.  Instead, he sits on the doorstep with Pam one side and Karen on the other. 

Jim and Pam seal the friend zone deal with a hug.  Jim actually reaches out to her first (by a millisecond - but still first!).  This small gesture demonstrates the strong connection he feels towards her and his need to be close to her.  He still loves her, but his own confusion and fears cloud his ability to find his way to her.  He hangs onto her arm once the hug ends, which is another subconscious action that shows he doesn’t want to lose her.  He motions for her to walk with him as they leave the shoreline.  Both are breathing in the clear air between them with a new sense of ease.

Haircut/Talking Head/Pam’s Compliment:

Jim walks into work sporting a brand new haircut, and it’s obvious he is self-conscious about his appearance.  He knows he is going get attention, but he’s still hoping he’ll slip under the radar of his co-workers.  However, his discomfort is primarily rooted in the fact that he doesn’t feel like himself.  Ever since Pam pointed out the absence of Old Jim, he has been more aware of New Jim.  The haircut itself is another indicator that Jim is still entertaining the idea of a full escape from the past, but his discomfort shows his uncertainty is still pulling him towards a return to Old Jim.  He doesn’t look at Pam, even as he nears her desk to hang up his coat.  He’s worried about how she’ll respond to New Jim’s new look.   

Kevin is the first to say something, “What’s different about you?”  Jim’s sarcasm immediately jumps into action as a means of dealing with the unwanted attention.  His facial expression is “playing” with Kevin, “Gee, I don’t know,” all the while conveying his annoyance at the absurdity of Kevin’s question.  Jim would really like to say, “Isn’t it obvious?”  Kevin goes on to say, “You look worse.”  Jim responds with more sarcasm on his face as he says, “Thank you.” It’s not what he needed or wanted to hear.  He is already a little uncomfortable with how he looks and Kevin’s comment didn’t help.  To make matters worse, Meredith adds her two cents with, “He got a haircut and it’s sexy hot.”  Jim looks at the camera completely mortified and utters a matching, “Oh.”  Her comment was beyond inappropriate to him and certainly doesn’t want [i] that [i] kind of attention from Meredith. 

Just when he thinks his discomfort level can’t go any higher, Meredith asks him to turn around.  He politely says “No” with a nervous smile as he is horrified at her request.  He doesn’t think of himself as sexy or hot and doesn’t enjoy this kind of attention.  Meredith presses him further, but Jim again sticks to being polite and tells her “No thanks” hoping that will be the end of the issue.  However, Meredith belts out a forceful, “Do it!’ in response.  Jim horror continues as he silently tells himself, “Oh my God.  Make it stop.”  He doesn’t respond to Meredith this time hoping non-response will make her stop. 

He makes his way to his desk careful not to reestablish eye contact with her.  Jim’s torment continues as Andy jumps into the fray, “What’s up big haircut?”  Jim is amused at first as he has accepted the fact that he is going to be inundated with comments.  He looks at the camera with a “here we ago again” expression on his face.  Andy goes onto explain that Jim’s new nickname will be big haircut.  Jim tires quickly of Andy’s comments and lets out a frustrated breath as he says “Andy,” in a pleading voice that begs him to stop.

The motivation behind Jim’s haircut becomes clearer as he explains it was Karen’s idea in his talking head.  Jim explains, “Karen suggested that I get a haircut for the interview tomorrow,” with a noticeable air of annoyance.  Jim smiles slightly throughout his comment, as he resorts to his usual coping strategy of humor.  Everything but his humor is beyond his control.  Despite his obvious misgivings about his appearance, Jim can still find the humor in his situation.  Jim loses eye contact with the camera during the first half of his statement, which indicates his irritation with Karen.  This is furthered by the fact that he never looks at Karen while everyone comments on his hair in the previous or subsequent scenes.  His reaction almost seems like it was a rather forceful suggestion on Karen’s part. 

Jim goes on to say, “so that I could look presentable and not as she so lovingly puts it . . . homeless.”  Jim’s comment is dripping in sarcasm but is also laced with a little bit of aggravation.  He seems a little upset about his appearance and is clearly frustrated that he gave in to Karen’s “suggestion.“  He never thought himself as looking “homeless” and is a little insulted.  Karen make him feel bad about his appearance, which explains his bout of self consciousness as he walked into work.  

Jim’s clear annoyance with Karen is the first time he’s shown any outward awareness of the cracks that exist in the facade he’s created with his relationship with Karen.  She is “running” his life and he’s more aware of it.  However, he’s still allowing her to do it so he can stay in limbo.  Karen is still a safe place and she is the foundation of his escape tactics.  She makes New Jim a real possibility.  He is simply along for the ride while he figures out exactly who he is and what he wants.  Jim’s behavior is reminiscent of a teenager who experiments with feelings and outward appearance until his self-truth is finally revealed, only Jim is letting someone else run the show.  It’s another manifestation of the limbo Jim has inflicted upon himself in order to avoid dealing with the mess of his emotions for the time being.

As Jim gets ready to sit at his desk, Pam calls to him, “Hey, I think it looks great.”  He warmly replies, “Thanks, Pam” as he makes eye contact with her.  He throws a glance at Kevin and Meredith feeling totally redeemed in spite of their earlier comments.  Jim grins warmly at Pam, with his eyes non-verbally telling her, “thanks, I really needed that.“  He then turns around continuing to grin to himself as he still feels her warmth wrapping around him.  Her gesture was a small reminder of why he loves her.  When in doubt, she makes him feel good about himself, plain and simple.

Karen at Jim’s Desk:

Karen takes a seat on Jim’s desk and suggests they leave for New York early to, “get a bite, get a hotel room, enjoy the city a little bit.”  It’s written all over Jim’s face that he doesn’t want to as he lets out a drawn out “uhhhhh.”  His head is nodding “no” initially as a subconscious tic.  The Old Jim in him is content with spending the evening at home in Scranton, probably in front of the TV (otherwise who would watch it?).  However, he decides to go along with it as the escape factor changes his mind.  It’s another way Karen is offering a chance for Jim to explore New Jim and the new escape of New York. 

The draw of moving away from the past and the pain is too much for Jim to pass up.  Jim resorts to humor to hide his uncertainty from Karen as he says, “I just have so much paperwork to do.”  He feigns a labored breath, signs his paperwork and tells her, “Wow, done.  Let‘s do it.”  Seeing as Karen is calling the shots, it’s just easier to agree with her and go along for the ride. 

Karen vs. Pam According to Kevin:

Jim finds himself in Kevin's corner later in the day and once again finds himself in an uncomfortable spot.  Kevin bluntly asks him, "Who do you think is hotter: Pam or Karen?"  Jim's reaction closely resembles his behavior in The Secret.  He is beyond uncomfortable with his personal life being the subject of office gossip.  The real issue however, is the fact that Kevin is poking at the truth with a little too much accuracy.  Jim hasn't even begun to sort through the chaos of emotions that broke free from the dam in Beach Games.  He doesn't want to talk about it with himself, much less Kevin. 

Jim responds to Kevin's question with a polite yet strong answer of, "Yeah, I'm not gonna talk about this now."  Jim is hoping this will be a strong enough message for Kevin to stop poking around in his personal life.  Kevin, of course, completely misses the cue and continues to assess Pam and Karen by observing their height and breast size.  Once Kevin tells Jim Pam has bigger breasts, Jim gets incredibly fidgety and nervous.  He utters a beleaguered "Wow" to himself.  He's attracted to Pam and always has been.  Kevin is again making him uncomfortable by forcing Jim to deal with his internal truth. 

Aside from that, Kevin is continuing to bring forth the ultimate decision Jim must make between Pam and Karen.  It’s not just a choice of which woman he wants to be with, but also a decision on the man he wants to be.  It’s a decision he hasn’t been able to make and has avoided since his return to Scranton.  Jim is desperate to get the spotlight off of his impending choice, so he turns to his sense of humor to bail him out once again.  Kevin continues to blabber on by explaining Karen has a prettier face.  Jim suddenly looks “interested” in Kevin’s observations and asks him “What else?”  Sarcasm is once again Jim’s ally when it comes to wiggling out of tough situations.  Kevin continues to say Pam also has a pretty face and Jim responds with an affirmative facial expression, but the sarcasm remains.  It’s his way of avoiding the truth that he is still attracted to Pam.  If he makes it into a joke, he doesn’t have to deal with his deeper emotions. 

The friend zone escape can’t work if Jim owns up the fact that he is attracted to Pam.  It’s imperative that Jim sees her as just a friend and nothing more.  Kevin then says the magic words, “It’s a tough call.”  These simple and casual words sum up Jim’s entire situation.  Jim mirrors Kevin’s phrase “Really tough call” with continued sarcasm, but the symbolism is unmistakable.  Jim knows he has a tough decision ahead of him but isn’t able to make it quite yet.  In the mean time, Jim has managed to escape Kevin’s prodding comments.  At the same time, Jim can amuse himself by sending Kevin on a wild goose chase.  Jim will always be the eternal prankster. 

The Bottom Line:

There is a fork in the road and Jim lost his map.

- - -

JAM Song of the Week:

Comatose

Artist: Eagle Eye Cherry

Album: Desireless

- - -

Questions to Ponder:

1) Can Jim be happy without Pam?  Why or Why not?

2) What did Jim learn about Pam on the shoreline?  Is it enough to forgive her?  What about himself?

3) What is Jim’s biggest fear?

4) Is Jim capable of putting Casino Night behind him at this point?  

5) Does Jim trust himself?

6) What are your thoughts on the friend zone? (Only if you want to weigh in on the debate.  I’m just curious!)

 

Chapter End Notes:

Commonly Used Acronyms: PD = Pam Dichotomy, JP = Jim Paradox, CN = Casino Night, FNB = Fancy New Beesly, QTP = Questions to Ponder

This post was written nine years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation.  Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans