- Text Size +
Jim threw us a couple curve balls in this episode! He is, however, still behaving with paradoxical tendencies. He is thinking about Pam, but diverting his outward attention to someone else. He is so confused and desperate to find his niche. Despite his torture, I'm pleased that he is following some of the behavior patterns we predicted in previous posts on both The Jim Paradox (original) and this thread. Just like Pam, he is exhibiting behaviors and emotions that are necessary in order to JAM to happen. My only concern is that Jim is not one to fall in and out of love easily. Although, he may latch on to Karen a little more tightly than I'd like.

In the name organization, I will again divide this analysis into scenes as I did last week. Happy Reading!

Jim's Talking Head:

In this talking head, Jim still exudes his uneasiness in Stamford. He is still trying to adjust and find his niche. It is a slow process that has reaped little success. He finds himself even more of an outcast due to his inept skill at Call of Duty, (my step dad played this game incessantly, I about died laughing when this was the chosen computer game in Stamford. I know every weapon and phrase uttered in the game even though I have never played!)

Again, we see him compare Stamford to Scranton. We also see him revisit Pam during his memory trek to Scranton. Initially, its perplexing on why it was so easy for him to talk about Pam. He even cracked a smile! However, this makes perfect sense when connected to the earlier part of his monologue. Talking about Pam relieves his outcast status. Even though she is usually a painful thought on multiple levels, she is also familiar and comfortable. Reminiscing about Pam creates the comfort zone he is lacking, hence the smile. We saw this same behavior pattern in Gay Witch Hunt during Diversity Day training. Furthermore, he simply can't help it that he loves her, despite the pain. It's still slipping out even though he fights to keep it all tucked away.

Game Play/Conference Room:

Jim further feels his lack of belonging and confusion during game play. He doesn't realize that a team play game is taking place. Andy chastises him and this creates an even stronger sense of confusion and feeling lost. The game play itself is a perfect analogy to Jim's slow adjustment to Stamford. It doesn't help that when he asks about team play, Karen responds with a "yeah" that is a little demeaning although intended as sarcastic. This just adds to a slight sense of panic. We know how discombobulating it can when we are thrown into a game or situation in which we are the only ones who don't know the ropes or rules.

Josh adds to the panic by summoning a conference meeting to discuss game play. Jim is completely thrown off by this. It looked like he thought the conference room meeting was called to actually discuss business. His expression changes immediately when he realizes that the meeting is for the game. He simply can't comprehend the obsession with this game. This furthers his role as an outcast and he feels it quite sharply in this meeting. Especially, since he is being fully blamed for his team losing the game. Jim is not used to being in this position.

In Scranton, he was popular and well liked. In Stamford, he is odd man out. Nothing demonstrates this point more than a third shift in his facial expression to "are you kidding me." The seriousness of the game is ridiculous to him. He is terribly uncomfortable. Part of me wonders if he was wishing he was in Scranton in the back of his mind. All this confusion and sense of being out of place may help to push Jim back to Pam and Scranton.

It pains me to see Jim so uncomfortable, but the optimist in me realizes that he must stick it out. Jim knows this too. He's trying with every fiber of his being to adjust and fit in. We still see him trying to escape the pain of Pam. Unfortunately, the very differences of Stamford are making him long for the familiarity of Scranton.

Karen Shoots Jim

Here again, we see Jim in his almost usual lost state while demonstrating poor maneuvering skills in the game. He is in dire need of help and actually receives some from Karen. He is momentarily relieved for the help, until he realizes the she is right behind him. She shoots him! What's key in this scene is that she laughs. This puts Jim at ease. Humor has always been one of Jim's releases in stressful and/or uncomfortable situations. We even hear his patented "wow" in response to Karen's move. He takes it even further and makes a joke with "psych-o-path." He is creating a new comfort zone . . . without Pam. This is the first time that Jim has really been able to joke around with one of his new co-workers. He's had a tough and draining day and this was the release he needed.

Jim Leaving Work

Jim heads out of the office by letting out a puff of air that showcases how drained and frustrated he is from a rough day. Again, we see him resort to humor as a release. Only this time he's fusing humor with a touch of flirting. He builds on the one commonality he has with Karen, the game. He throws her an "air" grenade. He smiles at her response of "exploding" paperclips. Karen is the first person to show him any kind of acceptance. She's given him some much needed reassurance. She touched a nerve in Jim with her humor.

We know from his relationship with Pam that he values a sense of humor. It's obvious that Karen has one, albeit a little darker than Pam's. It's only natural for Jim to feel a connection to someone who has a sense of humor. Especially since he is so desperate to find a niche, a friend, or really anything to make his adjustment to Stamford go a little more smoothly. His memories of Pam can only go so far before he needs a real person.

Jim's interest in Karen also follows previously established behavior patterns. In Hot Girl and The Carpet we have seen Jim reach out to other women. Whenever, Jim is dealt a blow in regards to Pam, he sets up a date with someone else. Both Katy and Brenda filled this role. Now its Karen's turn. Only this might be a little different. Jim is in the process of trying to let Pam go. He may be in the position to allow himself to feel something for someone else.

As much of a travesty as this sounds, we need him to do this. He needs to forge a new relationship in order to get past the hurt he associates with Pam. Honestly, we can't expect Jim to forget all the hurt he's suffered. There's no way he can have a healthy relationship with Pam of any kind if he is still hanging on to all the pain of her rejecting him multiple times. Besides, we need Karen to be the rebound girl. As stated in many threads on this board and even on this thread, Jim and Pam can't be each other's rebound relationship. They need to work through their hang-ups before they can truly explore a relationship with each other.

As for Jim, he is on track to being a little less lost. I for one was happy to see Jim's old spark come through in The Coup. He's otherwise been a little distraught, melancholy, sad, etc. It's nice to see his smile and humor come through. I've missed that part of Jim. Karen may just be the one to get him out of the hole in which he is currently stuck.

Well, now I leave it to you guys! What do you think? Jim actually had me quite confused this week! I'm honestly questioning my analysis. I'm curious to hear about other angles in which to perceive Jim's behavior. Please share!

Questions to Ponder:

1. Will Karen be a rebound girl or something more?
2. Will Jim's hang-up on Pam prevent him from exploring a relationship with Karen?
3. Will a relationship with Karen give Jim the confidence he needs to have contact with Pam?
4. Will Jim ever be able to let go of Pam?
5. What will Jim's reaction be when he sees Pam again? How will his reaction change if he is with Karen or not with Karen at the time of the meeting?
Chapter End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans