- Text Size +
It seems no matter how hard Jim tries to avoid Pam, he always seems to find his way back to her. As many of the posters on this thread predicted, the conversation was an accidental connection. However, the connection between these two individuals is not. Amazingly, they are still able to communicate beyond a verbal level even when in different states! As stated in the Pam Dichotomy S3, there are two conversations going on here, both with what is being said and what is not being said.

Jim did an amazing job keeping his weaknesses at bay. His emotions were all over his face, but he never let it reach his voice. It's apparent that he wants to project a message to Pam that he is over the events of Casino Night (we know better!), possibly as a way to salvage any sort of relationship with Pam.

The paradox is also alive and well in this episode. Interestingly, a storyline with Karen is woven through the entirety of the episode to parallel the JAM conversation. Jim is clearly forging a connection with Karen for the same reasons as discussed in my post for Episode 4. She is still a mode of healing. The reconnection with Pam ironically falls during a time when Jim is attempting to find a connection with someone else to replace her. It'll be interesting to see if his behavior towards Karen changes as a result of reconnecting with Pam.

Again, this analysis will be broken down into a scene-by-scene analysis. I will refer back to the Pam Dichotomy S3 (Episode 5) frequently in order to avoid the repetition of identical analyses.

Beginning of Conversation:

Jim is caught off guard more than surprised, when he hears Pam's voice instead of the automated system. A hint of embarrassment is also detectable in his voice as he didn't expect to get "caught" calling the Scranton branch by Pam. This tells me he probably tried the after hours tactic a few times before with better success. In response to Pam's "oh my god" he simply says "hi." Interestingly, he is soft spoken and sounds comfortable even though he is noticeably uncomfortable and nervous as he shifts in seat. His face wears an expression that slightly resembles panic; it's more like an "oh crap," for lack of a better description.

Pam's return "hi" puts him at ease, but he still feels the need to go into a defense mode. He wants to make sure that she knows he wasn't calling her. He makes sure he tells her he thought she wasn't going to be there. Pam shot him down twice and he wants to project the message that he is not still pining for her, (event though we know that is not the case!). Jim's defense quickly crumbles at the feet of his curiosity.

As displayed in The Convention, his curiosity surrounding Pam is undeniable and uncontrollable. His curiosity comes out at various times throughout the conversation. This instance is the first. After a short pause, he asks her why she's still there. Pam's explanation is nothing short of amusing for Jim. Not only does it make him smile, it creates that sense of home that he has been lacking and trying to replace since his arrival in Stamford. Jim asks for a copy of that to fulfill the feeling of being homesick, but also as a way to possibly open the door for further conversation; he may have been hoping Pam would elaborate! He was a little hesitant to ask her to send it, but he was willing to test the waters to catch a gander at that activity list! He even laugh a little at this situation, but it is wrought with nervousness.

An awkward silence soon follows. Jim is still afraid to start the conversation. He's not sure if Pam wants to talk to him, so he's waiting for her to make the move. Unfortunately, the silence is so long that it creates nervousness on both ends that leads to a flustered exchange of words. Jim's "so" has an air of enthusiasm and hope at the fact that Pam broke the silence, but he's unsure of what to say due to the fact the conversation is near a dead end. So he does the natural thing of a man cornered, he pushes it back to her with "I'm sorry, go ahead."

At this point, he's not sure if she wants to talk to him or if she's trying to find a way to end the conversation. This awkward exchange could be interpreted either way by Jim. Jim is visibly relieved when Pam picks up the conversation with mentioning the status of Scranton. Not only is she initiating the start of a longer conversation, she is bringing up home. He grabs onto this normalcy and responds with "oh, good." Pam jumps right in with her "a little different."

As mentioned in the Pam Dichotomy S3, there is an undertone that tells him she misses him. Jim actually picks up on this. There is a flicker of that recognition on his face. He can still read her like a book over the phone and despite their recent lack of communication. However, he won't dare respond to it in that regard. Pam again puts him at ease by asking about the time. He picks up on the fact that she is nervous and this puts him at ease. Knowing that she is just as nervous as he is has a calming effect, as it probably would on anyone in this situation. He is even a little amused by her nervousness! So much so that he is comfortable enough to tease her with deadpan "duh" humor answer. He's even laughing and it's not a nervous laugh, like before.

He feels safe enough to continue by asking her how far she thought it was. She again responds with a disguised "I miss you." Again, Jim recognizes it, but this time he's brave enough to respond in kind with his (very sweet) "yeah." This was his equivalent of "I miss you, too." Jim needed to know Pam missed him. This provides a great deal of much needed comfort. Even though she didn't come right and say it, the message was still heard. I have no doubt that he believes Pam got the message as well. These two carefully guarded and disguised statements created the boundaries of the conversation. It was here that they actually told each other they were not going to bring up the pain of the past, but rather reconnect on a lighter level. The defense mechanism (Pam Dichotomy S3) was established at this point.

How fast can you type?

The conversation shifts from uncomfortable awkwardness to one of lighthearted playfulness. Jim is going to join Pam in employing the old reliable defense mechanisms of playful banter, humor, and light flirting as a way to mask deeper emotions. Jim used these same methods throughout season 1 and 2, just as Pam, (See Pam Dichotomy S3: Episode 5). He too had emotions to hide as a result of Pam's attachment to Roy.

Even though Pam's status has changed, he still has to mask his emotions, due to the events of Casino Night. He doesn't want to dredge up the pain of her rejecting him, nor does he want to exhume his feelings for her that he's managed to keep buried over the past few months. It's not a road he is willing to go down quite yet. Jim quickly reverts to his lighthearted humor with his Mavis Beacon joke. Jim is actually a little cautious at the beginning of this portion of the conversation, but he quickly put at ease when Pam starts to tease him.

When she pressures him to reveal his typing speed, his body language becomes noticeably looser. His physical gestures are indicators for many aspects of Jim's emotional state. He's reacting to Pam as if she was in the room with him. He is showing signs of comfort and relief with his smile, and embarrassment by covering his face. His comfortable and relieved that Pam is talking to him easily and not in a forced manner. His slight embarrassment stems from the fact that his playful conversation is giving Pam ammo to make fun of him. The embarrassment is not negative, but rather playful in that his own topic of conversation backfired in a humorous way. It almost looks like he's thinking "why did I bring this up, duh, she's a receptionist, of course she can type fast!"

When he realizes his answer is most likely a substandard speed, he plays a little hard to get by refusing to answer. I can't help but also notice that is face just lights up during this part of the conversation. He is still smitten with her and he can't hide it. He is lightly flirting with her by refusing to answer. When he finally does answer, Pam laughs at him. He likes it that he made her laugh. He even pokes fun at himself by telling her "you don't have to laugh," hoping to elicit further laughter from her. It's always been a connecting factor for these two.

As stated in the original Jim Paradox, Jim often used humor as a way to get close to Pam. In this case, humor is being used to foster a reconnection. Jim wants her in his life, despite his statement on Casino Night that he wants to be more than a friend. His willingness to engage in this conversation is an example of this. His time in Stamford has shown him how much he needs her, and at this point in time, he'll even accept having her as just a friend. He misses her that much. Plus, she's not with Roy anymore. There is that subconscious hope in the back of his mind, that he still might have a shot, (my husband tells me this is a common component of the male psyche).

On a more conscious level, however, Jim is more interested in simply reconnecting with someone familiar. He's in a new environment that hasn't exactly been welcoming or comfortable and Pam is giving him a comfort level he's been lacking for an extended period of time. We've even watched him attempt to recreate this comfort level with someone else, but with limited results. Pam is the only one that can offer him the connection he needs. He might be willing to forego his original stance that he can't be friends with her, at least for a little while. Even though he's demonstrated before that he can only keep his feelings suppressed for so long, he desperately needs the comfort level she provides.

Movie Story:

Jim's body language again cues us into his comfort level. In this portion of the conversation, he has his feet up on his desk and he's leaning back. The conversation has obviously continued for an extended period of time (second cut and it's now dark outside). He is clearly enjoying the ease of their conversation. We haven't seen him converse with anyone this easily in Stamford. Even though he's achieved a friendly demeanor with Karen, they have yet to have an easy going and relaxed conversation.

Jim is hanging on Pam's every word, thoroughly enjoying her story regarding "28 Days" and 28 Days Later." He's enjoying the fact that she's willing to admit her fault and even laugh about it. Again, his face lights up. Especially, when agreeing with her opinion that "28 Days Later" is "so scary." He finds it cute, (as most men find it cute when women are scared by a movie). He again flirts with her by taunting her with "you're making this up."

He follows this up by calling her "fancy new Beesly," along with bringing up her new apartment. He is clearly fascinated by Pam's new life and he wants to know more. It's even possible to sense that he is proud of her for the changes she has made. Even though Pam is a familiar and comfortable person, there are new parts to her that he wants to get to know. This is part of the reason he teases her about her apartment.

It would have very easy for him to ask about Roy and the wedding at this point. But, both are aware of how easily the conversation can turn from light and playful to heavy and emotional depending on how this topic is handled. Both engage in sarcasm and joking around to keep it light in order to maintain the conversation boundaries established earlier and to keep the humor that connects them in place.

End of Conversation:

Unfortunately, the level of comfort established during Pam's movie story is short lived. Jim continues to joke around with Pam when her end falls silent. He doesn't know why, so he calls her name twice thinking maybe the connection has been lost. In one respect it is; the silence is broken by Pam saying "um . . . Ok bye." Jim thinks she is talking to him. He is totally shaken by this. He was expecting the conversation to last longer.

He is probably now interpreting Pam's previous silence as her losing interest and wanting out of the conversation. Jim also looks a little worried that maybe he took the conversation too far. Maybe he joked around with her too much and made her uncomfortable. He doesn't know what to say, except for "I should probably go, too," even though this is the last thing he wants. It's all over his face, but not in his voice. Jim is doing his best to keep his emotions hidden from Pam. He doesn't want Pam to know he's still nursing a broken heart.

It's all part of the male ego, don't let it show. Last time he let her see his emotions, he was hurt on a very deep level. It's only natural that he'll keep his emotions guarded. Plus, this is part of the defense mechanism, it he doesn't show the emotions, he won't have to talk about them. Despite Jim's attempts to sound accepting of the situation, he does make an attempt to try and save the conversation by saying "I don't know, um . . ." as an attempt to re-open the door. Once again, he is throwing the ball in Pam's court.

Throughout this exchange, he is giving control of the conversation to Pam. It's up to her whether or not the conversation continues. Unfortunately, Pam doesn't pick up on it. She's waiting for him to save the conversation. Both are throwing control of the situation to each other because they don't know how to handle it. They're hoping the other one is holding the miracle to save the conversation.

Flustered herself, Pam is at a loss at what to say and blurts out "You have to go?" For Jim, this takes away all hope of the conversation continuing as he takes this as a signal that she is done talking to him. He responds with a natural "yeah." He doesn't know how to reestablish the conversation in that the awkwardness has returned between them. When Pam says she has to go too, Jim is pretty much resigned to the fact that the conversation is over. His "okay" hides his disappointment very well. He doesn't want to say goodbye to her, but he knows its time, the flow and comfort are gone. The safety net has crumbled and so have the defense mechanisms that were constructed at the beginning of the conversation.

If either one restarts the conversation, its going to follow the path of bringing up emotions neither is willing to deal with at this point. He again hides his disappointment by giving another, rather spirited "yeah" to give the impression that he is ok with the conversation ending. This is his way of again hiding how much he doesn't want to say goodbye. He doesn't want to sound sad or pathetic in front of Pam, (been there, done that).

Another silence follows, as neither wants to say goodbye. Jim is actually still giving Pam control of the conversation while he waits for her to say the first goodbye. He is also still holding onto a sliver of hope that she may still save the phone call. When he realizes the neither has the ability to save it, he takes the initiative and says goodbye. It's here that he lets some of his emotions out. His sadness seeps into his goodbye to her. He wasn't able to hold that in.

After he hangs up the phone, there is a trace of a smile on his face. She makes him happy. This small reconciliation with her, brought him more happiness than he's experienced in months. Mixed with this slight smile is the sadness that overcomes him with her absence. Many of the emotions he's managed to keep buried have come to the surface. As much as he's been trying to forget her and avoid her, he was reminded Pam is a constant in his life that he needs.

General Observations:

See the Pam Dichotomy S3 for initial general observations. The following serves as an addendum.

I'm still enamored with the fact that the conversation was very Pam centered. I think this is something propagated by Jim. He may have purposely kept the conversation centered around her for several reasons. An obvious reason centers around his curiosity of Pam's new life. He genuinely wants to know about her post-Roy life. Furthermore, deep down, he wants to hear about her being single and available. This may be a subconscious tactic to find out as much as he can about her status.

Unfortunately, things are just too weird between them for him to take any course of action beyond being a friend. Another reason he may keep the conversation focused on her is to avoid talking about himself. It's another defense mechanism. He is not happy in his new environment. He doesn't fit in and he's homesick. Talking to Pam about these issues will reveal vulnerability that he's not ready to show her. Plus, the only person he's remotely found a connection with, is another woman. There is no way he'll talk to Pam about Karen. It will send the wrong message and the subject can come dangerously close to leading into the events of Casino Night. Jim doesn't want to go that route. They are both trying to keep the conversation emotionally safe by talking about neutral topics.

So where's the paradox?

In the beginning of the episode we see Jim being very playful and flirty with Karen in regards to the squeaky chair. Let's face it, he was absolutely adorable rolling in his chair across the floor over to the copy machine. He is again relying on Karen for a connection and validation as we saw in Grief Counseling, (see Episode 4 post).

He continues to replace Pam with Karen as the squeaky chair issue continues. He teases her the same way he would have teased Pam, (the singing was funny and adorable - keep your day job Jim). However, we still aren't seeing an easy-going relationship between these two. Jim is continuing to make an effort to gain Karen's favor. He is still hitting a wall with her, albeit the wall is starting to come down. It's still not the same as with Pam.

The squeaky chair incident directly parallels the phone call. Jim is able to reestablish a relatively easy-going connection with Pam, despite a wall of awkwardness, hurt, and fear. The wall came down quite easily in comparison to his continuous efforts with Karen. This is an odd manifestation of the Paradox. It hasn't totally played out, but I think we will see the ramifications of the call in the upcoming episode. He will probably continue his efforts to forge a connection with Karen, despite the ease of his connection with Pam. I don't think he is going to give up on his resolve to move on without Pam, despite his feelings for her. That rejection still stings.

- - -

Questions to Ponder:

1. Will Jim's behavior towards Karen change? Why or Why not? If yes, how will it change?
2. Do you agree that the conversation was Pam centered? If so, what are the reasons for this?
3. Is Karen a good match for Jim? (I know its tough to think about, but pretend Pam doesn't exist before you answer!)
4. Will Jim and Pam rekindle their full friendship while Jim is still in Stamford? Or does this require a face to face scenario?
5. Will Jim be brave enough to call Pam again or e-mail her?

Finally! It's done! This was an enormous undertaking. The writers amaze me every time in their ability to keep things realistic between these two characters. This is a great ride and I'm looking forward to the next twist. Jim's character increases in complexity with each episode. I hope his confusion and torment ends soon. How much can one person take?? At least he's handling it with his usual charm and good nature. Let's hope he's back in Scranton soon. I'm keeping my patience on this, but I don't know how much longer I can take a Jimless Scranton branch! Hurry home!
Chapter End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans