- Text Size +
Jim didn't give me much to work with this week as he was pretty drunk for a large chunk of the episode! It's hard to pick apart a drunk person! Although, I must admit he was pretty entertaining to watch. No one crashes a bike better!

We see Jim continuing the same behavior patterns he has demonstrated ever since Season 3 started. He is desperately trying to fit in and make friends among his co-workers. In this episode he takes some drastic measures to find his niche. He's changed his transportation mode to work to mirror his boss and he's engaging in on the job drinking. These are two activities we typically wouldn't associate with Jim. However, given his current feeling of discomfort brings him to a whole level of effort to fit in.

Therein, lies the continuing paradox within Jim. He, like Pam, is engaging in activities he normally wouldn't do as a way to move on. The actions are strictly masks and tools he uses to bury how he really feels.

There is the possibility that the Initiation conversation has something to do with Jim's stepped up effort to fit in. Despite Casino Night events, the conversation showed Jim that Pam is still in his comfort zone. There is still a connection to her and he "fits in" when talking to her. She reminded him that he's not a total outcast as he feels he is in Stamford. That being said, the end of the conversation cast some doubt on that comfort level. He may be having second thoughts on how much of a connection he still has with Pam as well as the comfort level associated with Pam.

It can be easily assumed that this doubt will cause Jim to look towards his Stamford cohorts for a connection of some kind. He's been searching for a way to get his foot in the door all season with no success. Now he's even more motivated!

Sweaty Jim:

Jim comes into the office along with his bike and a very sweaty appearance, (and looking mighty fine, if I may add. He's one of a few men that can pull off the sweaty look in work clothes). We find out from a talking head that he has decided to start riding his bike to work. He gives a number of reasons from the environment to staying in shape to justify his bike ride. He probably genuinely likes the idea of riding to work, (don't we all get the fitness bug sometimes!).

However, the real reason lies with Josh. He saw Josh biking to work and has decided to emulate him. Jim is having trouble, still, with fitting in with his co-workers. He is still trying to adjust to the Stamford lifestyle. Josh is in a position of authority and therefore can possibly serve as a role model. He is generally liked by his employees (I'm not seeing any disgusted, offended, or overly annoyed looks by the other employees directed at Josh). So it's natural Jim may look to him for guidance.

Plus, Jim isn't getting anywhere with his co-workers aside from Karen and even that is a bit of a struggle. I've made the statement before that it would be unlikely for Jim to forge a friendship with Josh. I'm reneging that a little! Jim is running out of options. Josh is the last frontier of fitting in. I'm still holding to the idea that they won't be friends (no BFF!), but they will have a friendly rapport that will go a little deeper than work related issues. He can't seem to fit in with his co-workers, maybe he can fit in a little with Josh.

Jim ends up running into Andy's work area with his bike and catches a nasty look from Andy. Jim is already seeing his bike plan backfiring. There is also a sense of embarrassment on his face stemming both from being a klutz with his bike and his appearance. Then, Karen pokes fun at the basket on his bike. This is a little jab at Jim's confidence, but he is lighthearted enough to see the humor. He knows his bike is a blatant reference to Josh and he can laugh at himself for the attempt to fit in. Plus, he actually liked Karen's jab. It gives him a sense of fitting in with someone. Teasing and humor has always created a comfort level. Karen has been providing this sense of humor since The Coup.

Andy's Sam/Diane Reference:

Andy attempts conversation with Jim by telling him that he and Karen have had a hot and cold, Sam/Diane type of relationship. Jim is completely unimpressed with his statement. Jim has a hard time getting along with him because he is just so odd. Andy has some resemblance to Dwight with his weirdness. Jim finds him ridiculous and sees right through his attempts at getting attention. Jim has had plenty of experience in dealing with people who have an innate desire for attention; Michael has set the standard. This in itself makes Jim an outcast with Andy. He can usually get a response out of Karen or Josh, but Jim won't give him the satisfaction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did I sense an ever so slight tinge of jealousy on Jim's part in regards to Karen. He kept it well hidden, but I saw a trace of it on his face. I'm sure he's a little protective of the slight connection he has with her, but I have yet to fully conclude that he likes her as more than a friend. There isn't enough evidence yet.


Talking Head - Working Late:

This was a fabulous talking head. Old Jim came out with flying colors. It was fun to see his deadpan sarcasm coming back out to play. We've previously discussed Jim's apparent new fervor regarding his work. For the most part, we've come to the conclusion that he is throwing himself into his work as a way to get over Pam and to create a new life for himself.

He is now faltering in this new work attitude. He is first complaining that he has to work late and then continues by ensuring us that the task is "less interesting than it sounds." His sarcasm is back in all its glory. We haven't seen much sarcasm regarding his job in Stamford. He let it all fly tonight! He is bored with his job again. The new challenge of it is gone. The only challenge he has now is socially based. The luster of his promotion has dimmed.

This probably has a lot to do with the Initiation conversation. He's come to the realization that he can't hide from Pam behind his new job. So his humor is going to come out all over again. He's going to hide behind sarcasm and humor instead of his work. We saw him do this in Scranton constantly. Humor was both a connection factor and a veil to hide behind for Jim and Pam. He's always used humor as a way to escape anything irritating or difficult in his life.

Drinking Game:

There are a number of reasons why Jim opted to engage in Andy's drinking game. Many of which have been outlined above. He is feeling the outcast status, he's bored, and he's possibly still reeling from the Initiation conversation, (the awkward ending might still be bothering him). Of course, Jim is going take part.

Jim sees the drinking game as his chance to try and fit in. The bike didn't go well earlier in the day, so this might work out better! Furthermore, he "thinks" he is creating more of a connection with Karen. He looks to her first after taking a shot. She looks like she is drinking and therefore he feels like he's connecting with her and maybe fitting in a little more. With Andy drinking too, Jim feels like he is part of the group and not just the "new guy." Alcohol has a funny attribute of creating escape and illusion. It's giving Jim the illusion that he's fitting in, something he is desperately in need of at this point.

Even though drinking on the job isn't a usual Jim activity, he is taking drastic measures to fit in so he is willing to step outside the realm of his normal behavior. We've seen him do this all throughout the season with his new location, new job, new clothes, new sandwich, new transportation, etc. This irresponsible behavior is just another manifestation of this. It's sad but true. Jim is trying anything and everything to find his place.

In a Drunken Stupor:

What can I say here?? Besides the fact that Jim is a hilarious drunk. I laugh harder every time I see him fall into the bushes. Hee hee hee! One interesting thing I noticed was that Jim referred to Karen by her last name. Hmmmm. He's referred to Pam by her last name as well. We've debated the significance of the use of her last name before. The general consensus has been that this is not just a form of flirting, but also a manifestation of the familiarity they share. Could it be this was little slip on Jim's part?? Perhaps he's showing a little hint that he's attracted to Karen.

Here's some other food for thought, Jim may feel more connected to Karen for taking care of him when he needed her. It's been a long time since he's been on the receiving end. He's usually the one dispensing care. She took care of his bike, grabbed his bag, and gave him a ride. This will probably go a long way for Jim.

As much fun as it was to watch Jim be a clumsy drunk, I can't help but notice how his drunken state is symbolic of the mess his life is since moving to Stamford. Even though he has settled in a little, he's not comfortable and he's still a little lost. He's stumbling around trying to find his way in a new job and environment.

- - -

Questions to Ponder:

1. Assess Jim's feelings for Karen. Is he attracted to her? Will Karen's kindness to Jim create a stronger connection/attraction?

2. Do you think Jim was a little jealous during Andy's Sam/Diane reference in regards to Karen?

3. Given the choice would rather have had Jim pick up his cell phone when it vibrated or would you rather wait for him to sober up? Why?

4. Did Karen take Jim home or to her house? (Think about it, is Jim sober enough to tell her where he lives? Does she even know where he lives?)

5. What will Jim's likely reaction be when/if he reads Pam's text message?

6. Where is Jim's phone?? (This isn't remotely analytical, but I'm curious of what theories are floating around. I completely lost track of it.)


One a last note . . . JIM PICK UP YOUR CELL PHONE! ( I can't take it anymore.)
Chapter End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I've decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there's something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans