- Text Size +
Jim's carefully choreographed escape to Stamford still isn't enough to keep him away from Pam. As he learned in this episode, he can't get away from her geographically or emotionally. Fate just won't let him let go of her. He's on his way back to Scranton to face his fear and his pain associated with Pam.

Jim had a big decision on his plate once he was offered a job back in Scranton. It was truly difficult for him to come to the conclusion to return to Scranton. He is essentially deciding if he can handle being around Pam versus trying to find a new job. It's an odd conundrum, Pam is both a reason for coming back and a reason for staying away. She is someone he has a deep connection with, but she also broke his heart. What is Jim supposed to do???

The original meaning of the Jim Paradox is also back in play. We have to start asking ourselves if Jim will remain a fixture in the JAM scenario or if he is the variable that will walk away. It's obvious that he is not over her and still loves her, but he is very reluctant to accept a position back in Scranton. The love he has for her has been tempered by a new caution and wariness with his heart. He is fearful of getting hurt again, enough so to keep him from going out on any limbs. The prospect of facing Pam is terrifying in that he's going to have to deal with all the emotions he's been burying and escaping since his arrival in Stamford. Lucky for us, he's found the strength to go back to Scranton!

On a very silly note, I was ecstatic to hear my screen name over and over again in this episode. I feel so dumb for getting a kick out of it, but I loved it! It's really fun being an Office flan isn't it??

As in the Pam Dichotomy S3, I've included producer's cut scenes. Again, I don't feel they alter the storyline, nor previously established behavioral patterns. It's up to you whether or no you accept these scenes as part of the story.

Future Dwight Prank:

This really has nothing to do with JAM, but it needs to be mentioned! This is one of Jim's best pranks ever! I still laugh every time I see it (I've watched the episode at least 6 times and I'm still laughing!). As funny as this scene is, I think it serves as a bit of foreshadowing of Jim's imminent return to Scranton. He still can't let go of Scranton all the way. Even though Jim no longer works with Dwight, he still feels the need to mess with his head! I love it! Scranton will always be home to Jim, and his continued pranks on Dwight shows that.

Branch Closing News from Karen:

Karen comes over to Jim's desk and tells him that the Scranton branch is closing. Jim is sad, but he doesn't seem overly upset by the news. He responds as anyone would, when hearing that a former employer is shutting down. He doesn't work there anymore, so it's just not that big of a deal. At least that's what he's projecting to Karen. He is, of course, thinking of Pam in the back of his mind. But he doesn't want Karen to see an overly emotional response, as he doesn't want to risk his Pam emotions slipping out around her. At the end of the scene, he has a nostalgic and sad look on his face. He feels bad for Pam and feels bad for the rest of the Scranton crew. Plus, he realizes that that part of his life is now finally over. It's the end of an era. If anything, the Scranton branch closing may help him get over Pam, because she wouldn't be there anymore. We can't expect Jim to get too upset over Scranton closing. He still has a job and will obviously be happy about that.

Andy's Pep Rally:

While Andy and the rest of Stamford crew are having a little celebratory rally in honor the branch, Jim is sitting quietly at his desk. He looks like he's working, but really he is thinking about the consequences of Scranton closing. It's here that he realizes that some Scranton employees may be coming to Stamford.

Of course, his thoughts turn to Pam and the fact that she might be transferred to Stamford. He is already nervous and worried about even a minute possibility of seeing her. Jim is unsure if he can handle being around her. When Josh comes up to ask him what's going on, Jim can't help but ask about possible transfers. He tries to sound casual in asking, but his nervousness comes through. His voice is softer than usual and his eyes are little pleading. He desperately wants to know if Pam is coming and is let down when Josh can't give him an answer.

Talking Head:

Jim begins to display his hesitancy at the prospect of Scranton employees in Stamford, by equating it to a high school reunion. He is not happy about the possibility of Scrantonites in Stamford. He's worried about Scranton becoming a "forever" facet of his life. He worked at Scranton for a long time, but it's a part of his life he is trying to escape and leave behind. Even if Pam doesn't come to Stamford, any part of the Scranton staff will bring back painful memories of her.

Stamford, is supposed to be a fresh start. Seeing old co-workers from his old life will defeat the purpose. Stamford has provided a means to avoid Pam and now that shield is crumbling. Deep down, this all comes down Pam, but he is not about to reveal that in this talking head. Many of his buried feelings are starting to come up again, so he's artfully avoiding mentioning her name, while at the same time referring to her. Again, the idea of facing her again, is daunting and worrisome to Jim.

Josh's Office:

Jim goes into Josh's office and again asks about possible transfers. He obviously can't let it go. Again, he tries to come off as casual, but his nervousness still comes through. His again softer voice cracks while he's asking the question, (oh sooo cute!). When Josh still doesn't give him an answer, Jim doesn't give up. Instead of asking about people, he asks about departments, "sales . . . .accounting . . ." while tactfully avoiding "reception." This is his way of asking about Pam without actually saying her name. Josh again avoids the question, by telling him not to worry about it. Jim immediately picks up on the fact that something is up, but isn't quite sure what.

Jan then comes into the office to begin discussing the logistics of the Stamford branch's new role and the subsequent absorption of the Scranton Branch. Jim is thrilled when Jan offers him the #2 position with Josh. It's essentially the same job he has, but on a bigger scale. However, it's yanked away from him before he can really enjoy it, when Josh drops the bomb that he's taken a job with Staples. Jim is shocked and quite frankly disgusted with Josh. Jim's high opinion of Josh has plummeted. Jim is also hit with a whole sense of worry as he may not have a job. He knows there is no Stamford branch without Josh. It's here that Jim realizes there is an inkling of a possibility that Scranton will absorb Stamford. It's easy to see the scenario is playing in the back of his mind. Not only is he worried about his job, he's worried about the possibility of returning to Scranton and all the ramifications that go with it.

In a talking head at the end of the meeting we see Jim voice his disdain for Josh, in true Jim fashion. He builds Michael up, while taking Josh off his pedestal. This is one of the things I love about Jim, he isn't mean spirited enough to be completely negative in any situation, even if there is a good reason. He took the opportunity to remind us that Michael may be irritating, but his heart is in the right place. Jim's statement in this scene again offers a bit of foreshadowing into Jim's ultimate decision to return to Scranton. He is disillusioned with Josh and knows Michael is a good boss who looks out for his employees. Is he annoying and desperate for attention? Yes. But he has the best of intentions and would never screw over his employees. For Jim at this point, that sounds like a pretty good gig.

Conference Room:

We next see Jim pacing in the conference room. Obviously, still rehashing the revelation inside and outside of his head from the meeting in Josh's office. It's interesting to see a little nonverbal communication between himself and Karen. Again, this is highly reminiscent of nonverbal cues with Pam. No need to worry yet! No complicated messages were being sent like we've seen with JAM, but it still bares mentioning that they are exchanging communicative glances.

Jan comes into the conference room with the latest news that Stamford will indeed be absorbed into Scranton. Jim is surprised and even a little afraid to hear this. Even though he had to have some idea that this could happen, it was still surprising to hear it out loud. Jan again offers him the #2 position in Scranton if he wants it. From here, Jim is emotionally honest in all of his dialogue, while at the same time keeping his emotions in check around Jan. He's not as happy to be offered this position as he was before. The job doesn't carry the same luster in Scranton, because there is no escape attached to the heightened position.

The reason he went after the last promotion was to get away from Pam. Accepting this position will undo his escape. He tells Jan he has unpleasant memories of a personal nature. He is clearly shaken by his emotions. All the pain he's been suppressing is bubbling to the surface again. That broken heart of his is starting to throb. He is stumbling over his words and trying hard to keep his emotions in check. He is again soft spoken and his voice is cracking slightly.

Just before he tells Jan that it's "personal stuff" you can see his eyes shift and almost gloss over with the memories of Casino Night. After this quick trip down memory lane he makes the statement " I'm not ready to revisit that - I don't think." It's easy to see the pain on his face. The whole idea of going back brings back all the hurt. He can't get away from Pam if they work in the same office. The prospect of having the hurt stare him in face everyday is terrifying.

Jan doesn't let up and assures Jim that the company will do anything to keep him. Jim now faces an incredibly difficult decision: Take the job and face his fears or start over in Stamford with no job, but free of facing Pam. That's a tough one.

Talking Karen out of Scranton:

Let me start by saying that this conversation was among the most difficult scenes I've ever picked apart. I'd even venture to say it was harder than the Initiation conversation! There are so many levels to explore. What makes it so difficult is the state of confusion Jim is in when this conversation takes place! There are a million things going on in his head, and therefore a million possible motives for why he tries to talk Karen out of Scranton.

In the midst of trying to make a decision about his future, Karen grabs his attention and asks if he's made up his mind. Jim is still lost and even still surprised by the day's events and at the decision that lies before him. After telling her he's still undecided he shifts the topic to her plans. He knows Karen might ask him why he's having so much trouble deciding. Pam might come up and he doesn't want to go there. Karen alludes to the idea that she might move to Scranton if given the opportunity. Jim seemed very surprised by her answer. His expression was one of "Why?" This gives way to Jim sounding like he is trying to convince Karen to stay in Stamford or go to New York City. The question that immediately comes to mind is, "why would he do this?"

Quite honestly, there are a number of reasons why Jim choose this course of action. If I may borrow an analogy from "Shrek," this conversation is like an onion; it has layers. The first layer involves needing Karen as a sounding board. When Karen asks Jim what he's going to do, he still hasn't come close to making up his mind. He's only been thinking about it internally.

When Jim is giving Karen all the reasons to stay in Stamford, he is actually listing these reasons off for himself. He needed to vocalize his internal thoughts and she just happened to be sitting there and was available. Plus, she initiated the conversation giving him an opportunity to talk about his decision in a roundabout way. He's trying to find reasons to stay away from Scranton. We already know he is incredibly homesick (Dwight prank at the beginning exemplifies this), but going home means facing Pam. He needed Karen to agree with his given reasons. He needs someone or something to pull him in one direction.

The second layer of the conversation has Pam undertones. Jim probably realizes he could probably really "like" Karen, that is if he isn't already aware that he likes her (his level of attraction is still up for debate - he hasn't given very much away). If Karen comes to Scranton, this could create a new complex dimension to an already tense situation with Pam. He doesn't want to put himself or Karen in that position. He' s well aware that he'd be putting himself in the middle of two women. Facing Pam is hard enough, he doesn't want to make it more complicated by adding the Karen Factor.

The third layer to this conversation is rather simple. Jim simply isn't ready to have a relationship. He is pretty cautious with his heart these days. He wants to keep Karen at a distance. He has to have some awareness that Karen likes him. We even picked up on it before she admitted it in her talking head. As mentioned before, he knows that he could like her if lets himself. It just wouldn't be fair to Karen if he let's her get too close. He knows he'll hurt her. Especially, if she's in Scranton with Pam around. Jim knows how his previously attempted relationships have turned out with Pam in the picture. Between his wary heart and his issues with Pam, Karen is bound to get hurt and he knows that.

The fourth layer, is even simpler. Part of Jim is amused that Karen would actually want move to Scranton. As much as he loves Scranton (you know he does, c'mon he's homesick!), he's quick to point out that it's no Stamford or New York City. He had to have a little chuckle. When he turns back to his desk, he looks even more perplexed about the situation. He knows he may have hurt Karen's feelings by giving reasons to stay and he's still no closer to coming to a decision.

Making a Decision:

The next time we see Jim, he is literally wracking his brain. He's got his hand in his hair and a tormented look on his face. In order to understand why Jim is so torn, it's necessary to look at some of the issues plaguing his thoughts. For Jim, returning to Scranton will undo everything he's been trying to accomplish in Stamford. He's been trying to create a new life and start over. Stamford has been a challenge but overall it has given him the opportunities he needed. He has a more challenging job, new surroundings, and at least one new friend. Despite his difficulties with fitting in, Stamford has been good to him. Scranton represents the past, old Jim, and of course Pam.

Obviously, all the reasons he left are weighing heavy on his mind. He was hurt, and even a little embarrassed by the whole Pam situation. Stamford makes dealing with this avoidable. In Scranton he'll be forced to not only face it head on, but also come to terms with these emotions. Going back to Scranton will also bring Pam back into his life, the very person he tried to escape. He's become wary and cautious with his heart. It's still broken and there is still a lot of hurt. Jim is worried about how he'll handle being around her. He mentioned earlier that he doesn't think he's ready to face her. Not only because of the previous reasons outlined above, but also Jim knows he could fall for Pam all over again and possibly even harder than he did before. He doesn't trust himself. He was able to handle the Initiation conversation because he still had some distance; she wasn't in the same room.

This also partially explains why he was able to talk about her in talking heads. He still had the distance to keep him safe. If he returns to Scranton he'll no longer have the safety net of distance. Besides that, Jim also doesn't have a clear picture of what Pam thinks about him. The last time they spoke she abruptly ended the conversation, leaving him in a quandary about her opinion of him. His decision to come home ultimately hinges on Pam. Despite the past, she is still someone in which he has a close connection. He's demonstrated on many occasions that he misses her. This may be enough to counteract all his misgivings about returning.

Jim's decision to return to Scranton is based on many factors. His decision partially comes from his disillusionment with Josh. He realized that Michael is a good boss, albeit annoying. Jim at least knows what he's getting into if he goes back to Scranton. There's no worry about the "new" boss. Scranton is also home. He's been longing for something familiar even since he arrived in Stamford. He never quite found his niche, making him an outcast. Jim knows he's a fish out of water and he has a need to go where he does belong.

The practical side of Jim won't discount the fact that Scranton does have a job for him, and he happens to need a job at this juncture. However, Jim's decision still mainly revolves around Pam. He can't make the decision to come to Scranton without taking her into consideration. Jim is genuinely curious about Pam, the Initiation conversation proves this. Part of him wants to reconnect with her, at the very least as a friend. As hurt as he is, he can't help but be drawn to her, (he's just a little more aware of the consequences and will therefore be more cautious!).

There's also little male ego involved with Jim's decision. He doesn't want Pam to hold him back from taking a higher position, nor does he want her to scare him off from returning home. He doesn't want to be pathetic. He doesn't want to be beaten by the past. Jim decides he can handle being around Pam. He thinks he's tough enough to handle the emotional issues and complications. I think we'll see him put up a tough exterior when he returns to Scranton.

Jim's about face with Karen is another interesting aspect. Prior to this, he had seemingly tried to convince her to stay in Stamford. Now, he's encouraging her to come to Scranton if she's offered a job. There are a couple possible reasons why he does this. It's important to note that many of these are on a subconscious level. First, Jim faces the possibility of being an outcast in Scranton. Even though he was well liked, he did leave. That can sometimes create a weird atmosphere in a workplace and among co-workers. It'll take a while to readjust.

Jim is returning home, but he has built up some familiars in Stamford. Karen is one of those familiars. She has become a source of comfort and validation. Karen is also someone he can trust. He learned to trust her in Diwali, when she gave him a ride. She took care of him when he needed it. He needs this especially since he's going into a situation when he can't trust himself. She is someone he can lean on. We also can't discount the fact that he likes her. We've established that he is attracted to her. He may be keeping her at arms length, but he still wants her around him. On a more conscious level, he's worried he hurt her feelings and wants to reassure her that he wouldn't mind if she came to Scranton.

If anything, Karen will be an interesting addition to the JAM scenario! I know many of you despise her, but I think we need her if JAM is going to happen, (see previous posts on this thread for prior analysis on this point!).

No matter the reasons for Jim's decision, the fact of the matter is he's coming back! Even though it's only been 7 episodes, it feels like an eternity.

Questions to Ponder:

1. Is Jim using Karen? (I'm borrowing from mixedberries thread!)

2. Who will Jim hang out with more on his first day back in Scranton: Pam or Karen?

3. Where will Jim's desk be located? Would he be hesitant to sit in his old desk?

4. Is Karen necessary in order for JAM to happen? (I know I've asked a version of this question before, but the current storyline warrants a return to this discussion)

5. How will Jim react to Pam upon his return? Will he be guarded or will he melt? (Resist the temptation of using the promos when answering this. They are often out of context and therefore somewhat unreliable!)

6. What is your take on Jim and Karen's conversations regarding the possibility of her going to Scranton? (These were tough scenes for me and I'm curious of other interpretations)
Chapter End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans