- Text Size +
It was obvious in The Merger that Jim was uncomfortable with the awkwardness that ensued between himself and Pam. He managed to escape it most of the day by hiding behind his wall. However, once he spoke with Pam in the parking lot it became painfully clear that he is unable to accept the awkwardness. He doesn't want it to be this way with Pam, despite all the pain and hurt of the past. The fact of the matter is both of them are hurting and Jim has recognized that the void between them is causing much of the pain. He realizes he may have inadvertently hurt Pam with his standoffish behavior. It stands to reason that he wants to somewhat bridge the gap, so that both may heal.

Last week's parking lot scene helps to explain Jim's rather surprising behavior towards Pam in The Convict. It was completely unexpected for him to prank Pam and engage in non-verbal behavior! The only conclusion is that Jim didn't put his wall all the way back up after the parking lot conversation. He's opening up to the realization that Pam is "missing" in his life. He's realized he can't continue to block her out, because it's not what he really wants. It's important to point out here that he's thinking in terms of friendship. He's not consciously ready to contemplate anything beyond that as his heart is still broken.

His self-preservation model is simply changing. He's only going to block Pam partially. He's looking to let the friendship back in, while blocking the past and protecting his heart. The key here is that the all or nothing mentality of Casino Night is no longer in play. Jim has "evolved" past this line of thinking, at least for now.

This will be broken down scene by scene once again with exception to The Prank. The Prank is so complex that it will be broken down into methodical categories, but it will still follow the chronological sequence of the episode.

At the Copy Machine:

Jim finds himself in a very uncomfortable situation while making copies. At first, he's yawning and very relaxed. That all changes when Karen comes up next to him. His posture stiffens and he becomes very aware that Pam is watching him. His nervousness is subtle but his slight fidgeting gives him away. It's not fully known if Jim knows that Pam is aware of his status with Karen. However, based on his overlapping talking head (see below) it's safe to assume he thinks she doesn't know. Jim's body language backs up this supposition. He purposely acts casual and nonchalant so as to not give any clues that he is with Karen. He makes little eye contact with Karen and none with Pam. He's also careful to keep conversation minimal and simple. It appears he's going out of his way to make sure Pam doesn't find out quite yet.

Oddly enough, his body language also points to the fact that he doesn't want Karen to know about Pam, (namely his lack of eye contact with Pam). The fact that Pam is watching makes him act almost too nonchalantly around Karen. Karen seemed a little confused by Jim's lack of animation around her. Karen has absolutely no idea what she walked into! (Even if you don't like her, have a little compassion for her. She has no idea that she's dealing with JAM!)

Another reason for Jim's nervousness lies with his actual physical position. Karen is on one side and Pam is on the other, with him right in the middle. He looks pretty anxious to get out of the situation, but that copy machine seems to have slowed to a snails pace for Jim! Jim is afraid if he hangs around Karen in the office too much (especially around Pam), the awkwardness between them will become worse.

Talking Head (Overlapping Copy Machine Scene):

Jim refuses to talk openly about seeing Karen. There are a number reasons why Jim is so tightlipped about his status. The camera crew has already asked him about Pam in The Merger. He was uncomfortable talking about her then, so it he might be a little worried that a question about Karen will lead to a question about Pam. He doesn't want to talk about Pam until he has a better understanding of where he stand with her.

Another thing to remember, is that Jim has never really talked about his relationships. He only talked about Katy briefly and never said a word about Brenda. His refusal to talk about Karen follows the same trend. However, it is important to note that his silence has everything to do with Pam. This instance is no different. This talking head overlapped his experience at the copy machine. He simply doesn't want Pam to know yet. He is sensitive to the fact that things between them are strained and very awkward. Her reaction to his "seeing someone" statement in the parking lot has been bothering him. From his perspective, he doesn't want to flaunt his new relationship in front of Pam. He knows this will cause even more awkwardness and tension. Besides, he doesn't want to hurt her. If he's not ready to open up to Pam about Karen, he's not exactly ready to share details with the camera crew!

On a deeper level, Jim's silence has another dimension. Jim is unsure if he's doing the right thing by seeing Karen. Karen seems to be the most rational and logical route for him to take. Pam turned him down, thus he's supposed to move one. The problem is he's still emotionally invested in Pam and emotionally unavailable to Karen (or really anyone else.). He's stuck in limbo and doesn't know what to do. This is creating a huge amount of discomfort. He is again slightly fidgeting during the talking head, only this time it's "facial fidgeting." His eyes are all over the place. He's not looking directly into the camera like he normally does, rather his head moves to the side and back again a couple of times.

This can be attributed to his shy attitude towards talking about his relationships, but it points more directly to the internal conflict he is facing. He really looks like he questioning himself, "Am I doing the right thing?" Not only is this in regards to Pam, but also Karen. He has, after all, started a relationship with someone, despite the fact that hasn't totally let go of Pam. Just as Pam is experiencing self doubt, so is Jim, (see The Pam Dichotomy S3 for the rundown on Pam's self doubt).

His facial fidgeting can also be traced back to his feelings for Pam. Looking back on seasons 1 and 2, Jim always shied away from the camera in talking heads when things got a little too "Pam heavy." It is his way of reminding himself to keep those feelings hidden. The same thing is happening here. Only this time he's pushing his feelings down because of his relationship status and not Pam's.

At one point in his monologue, Jim mentions that he worried about his new relationship would effect how people behaved around them. He's not worried about "people," he's worried about Pam. For the same reasons outlined above, but also because he's got a subconscious need to keep the door open to Pam. He doesn't want to shut her out completely anymore. He still loves her, even though he's telling himself not to. He's not consciously aware of it, but a small part of the reason he's trying to keep Karen a secret is to buy time to figure out where he stands with Pam.

The end of Jim's talking includes a peculiar " not . . . yet." This can again be associated with Pam for all the same reasons listed above, but there is another level. Jim isn't exactly sure where his relationship with Karen is going to go yet, (this also links back to his question of doing the right thing). As he mentioned it's all still very new. Jim is taking on this new relationship with a great amount of caution. He has an understandable fear of getting hurt. He obviously going to proceed with carefully. Interestingly, he doesn't seem to be exhibiting any "new relationship" giddiness, (as JAM fans rejoice). He's more nervous and leery. His "not yet," has a subtext of "I just don't know, yet." Why speculate on something that involves so much uncertainty and confusion?

Jim's Pranks Intro:

This probably the most complicated set of scenes I've attempted to analyze. This wins hands down over Jim and Karen's conversation in Branch Closing. Even though its been commonly referred to as "the prank" thus far, it's imperative to note that there are actually two pranks. The first prank is getting Andy to ask Pam out and the second is the banjo serenade. Yes, they link as part of a running joke, but it is necessary to analyze them separately in order to understand all the dimensions of Jim's motives. Here goes nothing . . .

Prank #1:

Motives:

Jim's prank on Pam not only happens due to random events, but also for much deeper reasons. Jim has been back for at least a week, yet he is still perplexed by the awkwardness and tension that exists between himself and Pam. As mentioned earlier the parking lot incident is still bothering him. He doesn't like the "weirdness," that is characterizing their relationship (or friendship, or whatever). This is also rooted in the fact that Jim still feels lost despite returning home to Scranton. He's realizing that he feels lost because Pam is "missing" in his life. Hence, the newly renovated self-preservation model.

When Andy calls Jim looking for advice on how to hit on Pam, Jim is presented with an unparalleled opportunity to reconnect with Pam. He's been trying to figure out a way to bridge the gap. The parking lot conversation did not got well, so innuendo, non-verbal cues, or even a touch of honesty are excluded as options. Andy gives him an incredibly logical course of action: humor.

Humor has been a fixture in their relationship from the start. He's already utilized this tactic this season in the Initiation conversation as both a self defense mechanism and as a reconnecting factor. Jim knows that he's responsible for much of the current awkwardness. He knows his cold shoulder behavior the first day back has caused some tension. Initiating a prank is Jim's way of not only alleviating some of the awkwardness and tension, but it's also a way to attempt a reconnection between them with minimal emotional risk. If it doesn't work, all his motives will be masked by the humor. This is like a "stealth" covert operation with Andy as the shield.

Just as humor as been a connecting factor throughout seasons 1 and 2, so have pranks. This is a possible "win-win-win" situation for Jim. He gets to mess with Andy's head, possibly reconnect with Pam, and get a really good laugh.

Andy's Phone call:

When Andy first mentions Pam as a possible hook-up, Jim is momentarily protective. It's possible to see a flicker of "No, not her" on his face. That quickly dissipates and the above motives start running through his head. As he turns around and looks at her, he knows he's found his platform to reconnect. Once he's facing his desk again, he's wearing his patented impish grin, "Oh this is perfect." It's bold, yet subtle enough to maintain his self-preservation. Plus, it's a two shot prank guaranteed to be loads of fun.
Oddly, he gives the camera a quick glance after telling Andy he should go for it with Pam. Jim is a little worried, the camera "caught" him in his plan to play with Pam. He's still very self-conscious about his feelings for her. He may be worried that some of them slipped out.

Prank Dynamics:

The structure of this prank is mind-boggling! The first major facet of the prank comes from examining Jim and Pam's prior prank pattern. Jim is usually the one who initiates a prank and Pam follows as his accomplice. Their joint prank ventures are always carried out on a third party. Many times the victim isn't even aware of the prank (namely Dwight's resume on the internet), and consequently an inside joke is created. Jim's prank in The Convict detracts from this pattern. Jim has NEVER played a prank on Pam. Never. The closest he ever got to pranking her was in "Michael's Birthday," when he convinced her to talk into the microphone while shopping at Rite-Aid. But, this is better classified as teasing, not a prank.

Jim's decision to prank Pam has roots in his initial motives, but there's also a new dimension to add to his reasons. The fact he's pranking her for the very first time will send a huge message to Pam. It's letting her know he wants to start over, fresh and new. By breaking the previous prank pattern he's establishing a new standard of friendship, "Look, we can't go back to the way it was before, but we can start over." This showcases his new self preservation model. He's not initially approaching her about pranking someone else as that would be too reminiscent of the past, (a place both are not ready to face). Making Pam the target creates a focus on the future. Pranking her will also serve as an attention getting device.

It was incredibly noticeable that Pam has backed off following the many disappointments of The Merger. Jim has noticed as well. Only he attributes this to his cold shoulder behavior. He feels bad and wants to make up for it. This is partially why he has remained bothered about the parking lot conversation. From his perspective, he needs to reawaken her willingness to rekindle the friendship. The bottom line is Jim knows that pranks are something they both love. It's connected them in the past and it will reconnect them now.

The second facet of the prank is rooted in the Jim's creative use of a third party. This is where the "stealth" characteristic of the prank takes it's shape. At first it appears that Andy is Jim's primary target with Pam as the secondary target. This is however not the case. It's an easy mistake to make considering the previous prank pattern established in seasons 1 and 2 usually pitted Jim and Pam against a third party. Seeing as Jim is initiating a prank with a new dynamic, obviously the third party takes on a new role. This time, a third party (Andy) and Jim are taking on Pam. To make it even more complicated Andy is an unwitting accomplice while being a secondary target at the same time. So why create this dynamic? It's really quite simple! Jim is using Andy as a shield in this prank, just in case he's not successful in achieving a reconnection with Pam. He can always hide behind the humor of pranking Andy.

Furthermore, Andy is a shield against Karen seeing Jim's motives with Pam, (he actually uses this tactic later in the episode). The use of a third party shield is not a new concept for JAM. Throughout seasons 1 and 2 the victims of their pranks were the humor that masked Jim and Pam's feelings for one another. The same concept is simply manifesting itself in a new way. Aside from the stealth aspect of Andy's involvement, he does serve another purpose. Jim needs a third party to pull off this prank because he is emotionally unable to approach Pam on his own. The parking lot incident created a fear of one on one encounters. He needed Andy as a crutch to find the courage and pathway to reconnect with Pam. There is another goal associated with the third party dynamic, but this doesn't become clear until the banjo serenade extension of the prank.

Talking Head #2 - Prank Set-Up:

In Jim's second talking head he's busy laying the groundwork for his prank. It's here that we know the prank is more about Pam, not Andy. He never even mentions Andy's name. Jim is beaming as he explains how well he knows Pam. "Knowing" Pam brings an immense amount of comfort to Jim. It helps him to feel a connection that has been missing since he left Scranton and during his return. He doesn't have this connection right now so he's grabbing at anything he can.

Jim almost looks a little nostalgic and hopeful when he says, "One of the things she likes pranks." Again, it's possible to see Jim's motives running through his head (see above). Jim is really optimistic that this prank will alleviate some of the awkwardness. The talking head ends with Jim saying "more importantly, I know what she hates." It's obvious Jim loves setting up pranks as much as pulling them off. He almost can't wait to see Pam's face. This same expression show up in the break room with Andy, although its much more subtle. Jim works his magic on Andy by feeding him all of Pam's hates. Jim is having way too much fun messing with Andy's head. Andy is simply icing on Jim's prank cake. It's great to have Jim back in Scranton, isn't it?

End of Prank Face:

Once Andy gives Jim a smack on the arm, Jim knows the prank has been carried out with perfection. He slowly spins around to face Pam. The reason he spins so slowly is to give Pam a few seconds to figure out not only his involvement in the prank but also to pinpoint some of his motives for pulling it.

He then flashes her that adorable face, that of course has multiple connotations, (excuse me while I squeal with delight. That was the cutest face ever!). The "gotcha" and "yup, it was me" aspects are the most obvious and dominant. However, Jim is sending Pam some hidden messages via non-verbal communication. He's not telling her what he wants as much as he is asking her "What do you think? Friends? I know I said I couldn't do the friend thing, but I've changed my mind. It doesn't have to be weird between us." They way he tilts his head adds a "puppy dog" aspect to his request. He's making himself look as harmless and open as possible, (honestly, how can Pam refuse this!). There's almost a sense of pleading, albeit playful in nature, in his face that's telling her, "Please. I need this."

He has sent a strong message to Pam by instigating the prank, he sent her non-verbal cues, and he's letting her know the door is open. The look Pam gave him in return, was likely all he needed to affirm that some of his motives have been fulfilled.

Prank #2 - Banjo Serenade

Motives & Dynamics:

The banjo serenade is different from the first prank in that it didn't happen by chance. Jim got lucky the first time with Andy's phone call. The first prank just happened to fall in his lap. All he had to do was run with it. Jim could've let the first prank stand on it's own, but he decides to take it a step further. Jim planned ahead for this prank, (again he's sending a big message to Pam by taking the initiative).

The motives behind this prank are very different from the first. He's pretty sure Pam picked on his non-verbal messages, but he wants to take their newly reestablished connection for a spin and make it stronger. He needs to elevate her as a prank accomplice. His intent with this prank is to created a new inside joke between himself and Pam. They need something new to share that is just between them. This all goes back to implementing a fresh start.

On an interesting tangent he's creating a new start that highlights all the positives of their past friendship. This part of the past is a safe place for both of them. In order to do this he has to play another prank on Pam, but he has to make it big enough so that she can figure out that she is actually in on the joke and not just a target. Therefore, Andy will again become Jim's third party and unwitting accomplice. Jim grabs Andy and convinces him to sing to Pam in a "sexy falsetto voice" with banjo accompaniment. This is a grand enough prank for Pam to catch on right away that Jim put Andy up to it and she will hopefully recognize Jim's intent.

Jim with Karen:

Jim finds himself in tough situation once Karen overhears Andy telling Jim he's going to get his banjo out of the car. Jim tells Karen that he's "messing with Andy." He goes on to explain that he's giving Andy terrible information about "all" of the women in the office. Jim is telling a little fib. Pam is the only one in which he's given Andy false information. However, Jim is careful not to tell Karen that. Jim is again using Andy has his shield. Only this time Andy is being used to hide Jim's true motives with Pam from Karen. The reasons behind this are understandable. He doesn't want to have to explain Pam to Karen quite yet. He also doesn't want to risk Karen seeing any of his repressed emotions. That would kill his new relationship dead in the water. Granted, he's still not sure about Karen, but he's also not ready to throw in the towel.

After Karen tells Jim she wants in, Jim's face drops. His inner thoughts are plastered all over his face, "No. This is between me and Pam." If Karen joins in the prank, all of Jim's motives for this prank will become null and void. If Karen gets involved, the creation of a new inside joke is impossible. Her involvement could also cancel out the connection that sparked during the initial prank. Jim and Pam's reconnection is pretty fragile at this point. The awkwardness between himself and Pam could not only reappear, but it could get stronger.

Jim is reluctant to tell Karen that Pam is "the target." In his eyes, she is not just a target, (see dynamics above). His shies away from eye contact with Karen. He again doesn't want any of his motives or feelings regarding Pam to slip out. He stumbles for words, but eventually reveals that Pam was going to be his target. He recovers and tactfully steers Karen away from Pam, by alluding to setting up a different prank on someone else. Karen doesn't suspect a thing due to Jim's casual demeanor, (I guess all those years of practice of hiding his feelings for Pam finally came in handy.).

Conference Room:

Although Jim is sitting next to Karen, he is connecting with Pam. During Michael's "performance" as Prison Mike, Jim attempts a non-verbal communication with Karen, but she doesn't respond. It didn't really bother him, but nonetheless, it's noticeable that he didn't connect with her. Later in Michael's performance Pam initiates non-verbal communication with Jim. Interestingly, his head is already turned towards her as if he was waiting for her to make contact. He is delighted that she made the first move. This is another huge confirmation that his initial prank worked. His smile was indicative of Michael's antics, but it also indicated the he was clearly happy to have some level of non-verbal communication back. This communication tells Jim that some of the awkwardness is gone. In addition, Jim is further encouraged to pull his second prank.

Andy's Banjo Serenade:

The level of Jim's satisfaction cannot possibly be measured as Andy plucks his banjo and hits those high notes for Pam. As Pam smiles in Jim's direction, the camera pans over to Jim's highly satisfied face. Not only was he successful in pulling off another hilarious prank, but he was also successful in his motives. He knows Pam is aware that he's behind her lovely serenade. I like to think he knows she's smiling at him even though he's not facing her.

His face changes again into an adorable smile and smirk, (excuse me while I calm my goose bumps). He's trying to hold in the laughter. He knows he got her good, and Andy as well. But he also knows that he's accomplished the goal of making her an accomplice. Pam and Jim now have a new inside joke. He's already laughing at it with her. Awwww. This is an indicator that some of the awkwardness between them has dissipated, or at the very least is on hold.

Jim's face also conveys a sense of returning home. This is the first time he's truly felt at home and in his element in a very long time. In regards to Pam, he didn't look as lost or confused in those last few seconds. Things felt a little more normal. She is no longer "missing" in his life.

As with Pam, we must be careful how much optimism we shower on this moment. All the tension and awkwardness cannot possibly be erased by a couple of pranks. But, its a good sign!

The Paradox:

The paradoxical elements of Jim's behavior are easy to assess! Jim still has his wall up, but at the same time he has lowered it considerably. He's adjusted his self-preservation model to include Pam; the very person in which he's trying to protect himself. He recognizes the fact that he needs Pam in his life, but he is also careful to keep the past in the past. It's interesting how he's rekindling a friendship with so much history after spending so much time trying to forge a new future for himself. Jim is also still waging a war between his head and his heart. He is literally pushing himself to be with Karen, while he can't help but naturally be pulled to Pam. It's safe to say that Jim is in limbo. He's being pulled in two different directions. He still has to figure out what he wants and what he's willing to sacrifice to get it.

- - -

Questions to Ponder:

1. What are the strengths and weaknesses of Jim and Pam's reconnection? Will it last?

2. Can we classify either of Jim's pranks as flirting?

3. Will Jim prank Pam again? If so, what kind of motives would another prank entail?

4. Does Karen have a clue about JAM yet? What lead you to your conclusion?

5. Is Jim doing the right thing by seeing Karen? Is Jim being fair to Karen?

6. In conjunction with The Pam Dichotomy, this question must be asked! Is it appropriate for Jim to give Pam a Christmas gift? If so, what should he give her? (Try to answer from Jim's perspective. I know it's awfully tempting to divert, seeing as we all have fantasies about what we'd like to see!)

On a final note, did anyone else notice how good Jim looked in those gray pants? Wowser! Shallow I know, but he looked hot.
Chapter End Notes:
This post was written ten years ago so go easy on me in terms of writing style! I’ve decided not to revise the original posts beyond filling in missing words or fixing wayward punctuation. Call it nostalgia if you will, but there’s something to be said for preserving this little snapshot of fandom.



Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans