- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey guys! I’m putting this note here just to explain something that may be a bit unclear. The question Pam asks Jim in this chapter is the question I think she was trying to ask the night of the Dundies when she was all drunk and loopy, and hence the question the title of this refers to. So with that out of the way lets get to the story!

After spending several hours in one of the ER’s temporary rooms being examined and having tests run, Pam was admitted to the hospital. The doctors told Jim and Pam that she had a moderate concussion and a broken wrist, which she probably had gotten trying to catch herself when she fell. Thankfully she didn’t seem to have any swelling or bleeding of the brain so they were planning just to keep her for a couple days for observation.


Pam had fallen asleep pretty quickly after the doctors gave her some pain-killers for her  wrist. Jim had stepped outside afterwards and called Pam’s parents, letting them know what had happened and where Pam was admitted. They thanked him for taking care of her and told him they would be there tomorrow.


Now Jim prepared himself for what was definitely going to be a trying phone call.


Letting Michael know what was going on.


Jim took a deep breath as he held the phone to his ear yet again. The phone only rang twice before a frantic Michael answered.


“Jim! Oh my God what happened?! Is Pam okay? Ohhh myyy God she’s dead isn’t she?! Oh God!! Jim why aren’t you crying, Pam is DEAD THIS IS HORRIBLE”


“Oh my God Michael, Pam is NOT DEAD. She has a concussion and the doctors are keeping her for a couple days for observation that's all. Roy pushed her and was about to punch her when I tackled him. The police took him in after taking my statement and are coming by later to talk to Pam. I was just calling to let you know that Pam and I won’t be in at work on Monday. I’m gonna help her move out of her place with Roy and get settled in her new place.”


Michael seemed to grow more serious and calm as Jim went on and was in full on concerned-boss-mode as soon as Jim finished.


“Alright, yeah of course, both of you take a few days off to get things settled. Don’t worry about losing a sick day or anything, I’ll make sure you get paid time off. Jim be sure to let Pam know that we all love her and that Roy - dammit Roy!” Michael heaved a huge sigh and let out one of his signature yells of exasperation before continuing. “Roy won’t be here when she comes back is what I was trying to say. Damn this is gonna be so much paperwork, uuuuggghhh!...Take care of our girl Jim. I mean I’m not worried, anyone with eyes can see how in love with her you are, it’s almost gross….just...take really good care of her.”


Jim couldn’t help but smile a little. “Uhh thanks Michael...and I will. I promise. See you soon.” Jim snapped his phone shut and went to grab some sodas before heading back to Pam’s room. Grape for himself and a Coke for Pam.


When he walked in Pam was still asleep. He couldn’t blame her, she’d had a really long day. Seeing her laying in a hospital bed with her wrist all bandaged up and an IV in her arm...it was really hard for him. She just looked so small in that bed, so fragile. He couldn’t stop picturing her on the ground, with Roy’s huge fist rushing towards her. He’s thinks he may actually vomit if he thinks about what may have happened if he didn’t get there in time. What Roy may have done to her.


He feels like he almost lost her today and it scares the hell out of him. The only comfort he has now is knowing that Roy is locked up and she’s gonna be okay.


Jim pulls the surprisingly comfortable hospital chair over to the side of Pam’s bed, and holds her good hand in his while he watches over her. He brushes the back of his fingers across her cheek, admiring her face without all of her hair draped over it.


Pam’s assigned nurse, Madison, had offered to help Pam get her hair out of her face earlier, and had very gently pulled it up into a messy bun when Pam accepted.

Jim had though his heart might stop when she did it. He had never seen Pam with her hair up before. He thought it might be one of his favorite ways to see her.


He’s not sure when he falls asleep, but the next thing he knows he wakes up to the feeling of someone’s hand in his hair. Jim lifts his head from where he fell earlier on Pam’s hospital bed. When he looks up he sees Pam with a weak smile on her face. Jim instantly jumps up and grabs her hand in his.


“Oh my God Pam, hey how are you feeling?” his voice came out rushed and frantic and Pam giggles at him.


The giggling turns into full on hysterics.

Okay so the pain-killers haven’t worn off.


“I’mmm doooin GRRREAT! Ha I’m a tiger. Grrrr!”


Jim tries to stifle a laugh at Pam’s drunk-like-behavior. He’s never seen her this loopy before and it’s already turning into quite the show.


Suddenly Pam gasps. “Oh my God Jim! I never got my dundie! I wonder what it was gonna be?! Aww I miss my dundie. Hey, Jim, do you think my dundie misses me? What do you think my dundie is doin right now?” Pam flumps back into her pillow as she babbles on, looking up wistfully at the ceiling of the hospital room. Jim just laughs and prepares himself to try and get Pam to settle back down.


“Tell you what. I’ll call Michael tomorrow and see if he’ll tell me what it is. Although he may want to come present it to you himself.” Jim talks low and quiet as he pulls the covers up over Pam’s shoulders, but at the mention of a presentation, Pam sits back up in excitement.


“Oh my gosh that would be so fuuunnn!! Call Michael and have him come finish the Dundies HERE, it’ll be so much FUN!”


Jim makes a mental note to remind Pam she said that.


And to NEVER let her live it down.


“Alright Pam, sounds good.”


“Jim, I just wanna thank you. You saved me. God saved me. Jim I feel God in this Hospital tonight, don’t you?”


Jim smiles a bit at her wide-eyed look. He takes a second to thank God for putting this wonderful woman in his life, loopy and otherwise.


“Yeah. I do. Now come on, try to get some rest.” Pam lays back down and Jim takes his place in his chair beside her bed. It’s silent all of five minutes when Pam speaks up again.


“Jim?”


“Yeah Pam?”


“Are you in love with me?”


Chapter End Notes:

Alright guys, that's it for this week! I'm sorry if it was so short but it was too good of a spot to end this chapter X'D

Love you all! Please remember to leave a review and favorite if you want to keep up with the story. 



JamLove17 is the author of 2 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked If Pam had Asked the Question also liked 1302 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans