- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The second half of season nine was WAY more fun to write than the first half.

Jim and Pam are fighting. Jim hates fighting with Pam. He hates making her feel unhappy, and he hates that they can't just get on the same page here.

Jim hasn't been excited about work in a long time, so why can't Pam just get behind him on this? He knows she's been having a tough time, alone with the kids and all, but doesn't she get that this will be better in the long run?

It doesn't matter.

Today, what matters is making sure that Dwight doesn't pick a clone of himself to sit in his seat on his days in Philly. Because he can't sacrifice Athlead for Pam, but he can at least make sure she's not being tortured while he's away.

He's surprised when Dwight actually agrees with him, and thankful that he gets to put Clark at his desk before he leaves for the day.

Pam jokes about liking her old seatmate, and he misses her already, even though she's right in front of him.

He hates when they fight, because when they're good, they're so freakin' good. And they've been good almost consistently since they went on their first date five years ago. So all this stress, all this secrecy and lack of communicating...it needs to end, but Jim's just not sure how.

He misses her more when he tells the crew how important it was to be sitting next to Pam all those years.

"The people around you are basically who you end up spending your life with. I mean, because of where my desk was, I spent all those years looking at Pam. And I fell in love."

And he means it. Because his desk faced Pam, he was always staring at reception, found excuses to take those five steps to her desk all the time. Because of where he sat, he found his best friend, fell in love with her, and married her.

He really is a lucky son of a bitch.

He feels awful when he hears about Bryan, about Pam's mural. She was so excited about that project, and some jerk in the warehouse - some guy Jim's never even met - just had to be a dick about it.

Jim remembers Roy charging at him all those years ago, and he's not sure what he would have even done if he were there. It doesn't matter. He's just glad Bryan was there. He's a good guy, and Pam's really lucky to have had him. So it sucks that he got fired for protecting Jim's wife.

For a second, Jim is really angry that he wasn't there. But, without a boom mic, without the help of the crew, what would he have even done? It's probably better that Bryan was there. Right?

Of course, as Jim finds out on Valentine's Day, Bryan's been there for Pam an awful lot lately. And no, Jim isn't jealous. Just like when Pam was in New York, they are not that couple. He remembers Kathy creeping into his hotel room in Florida, and he knows Pam is just as loyal, just as committed.

So no, he's not jealous that she's been confiding in some other guy.

He's just mad because...well, why is he mad?

He just doesn't feel like Pam is being fair. She won't even give the idea of Philly a chance. And now she's crying and upset and Jim used to be the guy she went to when she was crying and upset. Everything's twisted upside down and Jim just wants to get away from it.

But she tells him to stay.

"It wasn't until we stopped fighting that we realized it was over," Bryan had said. So Pam wanted to fight.

Fine.

"Put your dukes up, Beesly," and he's crying. He doesn't want to fight. But Bryan has him scared and he doesn't want to lose Pam.

So, they fight. They yell and they scream and they cry. And it doesn't solve everything.

But they're going to be okay. Jim can feel it.

He gets Pam an interview in Philly. He really thinks that maybe she just needs to feel like she belongs here, and a new job will do that. He doesn't want her to think she's going to move to Philly and be bored or struggling - any place in Philly would be just as lucky to have her as Dunder Mifflin has been all these years.

She doesn't get the job, but they have a nice night anyway. There's dinner and champagne, and Jim feels more connected to Pam than he has in months. She's his best friend, and he hates how distant he's felt from her lately.

But then she says she doesn't want to move here.

Here, to Philly, where his startup is located. Here, where he wants to be.


Sometimes, Pam forgets that the past 10 years of her life have been documented for the whole world to see. Sometimes, she forgets that there was ever a life before Cece and Philip, before Jim.

So when the promos for the documentary come out, she is a little bit shocked.

Not just by the physical changes - was her hair really that frizzy? - but just by how content she and Jim look. They really were in love, and she was so dumb not to see it earlier.

These promo shots, video of Jim and Pam on the roof, of them listening to music, chatting at reception...she was with Roy for all of them. That's just the early part of the documentary. She was with Roy and still looking at Jim with stars in her eyes.

She wasted so much time not being with him, not admitting to herself how she felt or wanting to see how he felt about her.

She doesn't want to waste anymore time. Jim is her best friend. Even before they were dating, back before the documentary even started filming, Jim was her best friend. He was the one she went to with all of her feelings. He knew her like the back of his hand.

What is happening to them, and how can they get back what messy-haired-Jim and frizzball-Pam have going for them in those promos? How can she get back the stars in their eyes and the friendship at the base of their relationship?

She misses him, even when he's the one at the desk instead of Clark. She wants her partner-in-pranks back.


Jim thinks marriage counseling is useless. All that's ever mattered to Jim is that he loves Pam. That she's happy, that she and the kids are provided for.

And is he taking a huge risk with this company? Yeah, of course. But he knows it's going to pay off. So why can't she just get on board?

Marriage counseling.

He can't believe that of all the people in the office, he's going to Toby for advice. But Toby's been through a divorce. Not that he and Pam are getting a divorce.

He'd never let it get that bad. That's why he's even willing to try marriage counseling, if it will get Pam back on his side. He just wants his teammate back.

"It must be really hard for her to sign onto being unhappy if she doesn't know when it's gonna end," Toby says.

Shit. Toby's kind of right. Jim knows Pam's been miserable. He's been hoping she can just bear with him, just a little bit longer. But maybe Jim's not being fair, asking her to be miserable.

He's always prided himself on being the one who makes her not miserable.

Okay, marriage counseling it is. Anything to get Pam to be happy again.


Pam never thought she'd be the type to need a marriage counselor. With Roy, she just sat back and let him do and say whatever he wanted, so no need for a counselor there. They'd have ended up divorced before he would have agreed to counseling, Pam imagines.

But with Jim...everything was so perfect. For years and years, they had this ooey gooey, perfect relationship.

The tools their therapist recommends make them sound kind of crazy when they talk. Some of it is nice - she loves hearing how appreciated she is, loves telling Jim all the things he does that she appreciates.

But then she gets snappy, and she knows it. But she can't help it. She's so angry and frustrated and it goes so far beyond not wanting to move to Philly.

"My heart just feels so blocked up," she tells the crew. And it does. She's always had an open heart when it came to Jim, but she just feels completely closed off and shut down. And she doesn't know how to fix herself, how to fix her marriage.

But Jim believes in this. She isn't sure, but then he looks her right in the eyes, and she thinks to herself that this is the most honest they've been with each other in a long time. Not truthful, but deeply honest. The way Pam promised herself she was going to be after her art show. The way Pam was on beach day, when she told Jim how she felt all those years ago.

And yeah, he probably could have survived the weekend in Philly without his dumb umbrella, so maybe she just uses it as an excuse to see him one more time.

But then he grabs her arm. She's walking away and he's getting in the cab but he comes back for her. And he doesn't say anything. He tries, but there are no words, and oh God can Pam relate to that. There are a million truths she wants to share, but she can't find the words to share them.

So he just hugs her.

And Pam realizes that it has been a very long time since they've hugged. A quick hug hello or goodbye or good morning, sure. But it's been an uncomfortably long amount of time since her husband has held her this way. She's frozen. She's so thrown off by this gesture and that makes her so incredibly sad.

What the hell is she doing?

Screw her blocked up heart and her pent up frustration. Screw Philly and marriage counseling and dance recitals and murals. Screw Bryan and screw that guy from the warehouse.

Pam hugs her husband like she's never embraced him before. She hugs him like she wanted to the night he told her he was in love with her. She hugs him like she did after he proposed, after they got married on a boat, after they found out they were having Cece.

God, they've been through so much together, she and Jim. Their story doesn't end with marriage counseling. No way.

"I love you," and she never wants him to forget that. Because no matter what else happens, that is the important thing. That they love each other and they're going to make this work. No matter what.


When Pam brings out Jim's umbrella, he thinks she's going to say something. She didn't really respond to him when he said he wanted to work at this marriage counseling thing. He just wants her to say something.

So when she doesn't, when she tries to just leave again, to let him get in that cab with so much anger and frustration and so many unsaid words, he can't let it happen.

He grabs her arm and he takes her hands and he just looks at her. There's a million things he wants to say right now.

I've loved you since the moment I walked into this building. Nothing in the world is going to change that. You're it for me, Pam. You and the kids are all I need. I'm never going to forgive myself for making you feel the way you've been feeling. I promised myself I wouldn't do this to you, ever, but here I am. I love you so much. Please keep loving me. Please don't give up on this, on us.

But instead, he just hugs her. He remembers kissing her for the first time, against his desk upstairs. Feeling like he just couldn't deal with not kissing her anymore. He needed, in that moment, to be kissing her. And when he proposed, he felt that same urgency. He had to put his ring on that finger. No matter the distance or how long they were going to be apart, he had just wanted - needed - her to know that he was in it for the long haul. End of story.

And now he feels that same urgency. He needs to hug her. He can't say any of the millions of thoughts that are flying through his head, so he just needs to hold her. He needs to remind her that he loves her but he's said that a million times and it does not good so he just holds her.

She hesitates and he's so scared. More scared than when he told her how he felt, more scared than when he drove to that gas station, more scared than the day she refused to leave the damn office and have their first child.

His wife is stubborn as hell and he loves that about her but right now he needs her to shut off her brain and just hold him back or he's going to lose his mind. He refuses to let her go, knowing there's a cab behind him, running up the clock, and he doesn't care.

Finally, a switch flips, and she's hugging him and they're kissing and for the first time in months, when Jim tells himself it's going to be okay, he actually believes it.

It starts with him coming back to Scranton full time. Like he tells David Wallace, he came way too close to losing Pam. He won't do that - nothing in this world is worth losing her.

It's weird to be back but to be so far away from her. He supposes Clark did technically earn that spot in the bullpen, but Jim just wants to be near his wife.

It's nice to visit each other though. He feels very high school, doing all this childish flirting. It's almost innocent, almost like when he used to visit her at reception and flirt with her when he wasn't supposed to. It's cute, and Pam loves it, and Jim is happy.

He can't believe the day has come where he's recommending Dwight Schrute for manager of the branch. But, stranger things have happened. Somewhere, in some other universe.

Still, it's good timing, because Dwight's been extra cool to Pam in Jim's absence, and Jim himself is even starting to like Dwight a little bit.

Jim likes him a little bit more when he kicks Clark right on back to the annex.

"Nice to have you back," Pam says. And he knows it's cheesy, knows they're right next to each other, but their old school air high five feels like the right move.

Good to be back.

Weirder than Dwight being his boss is pulling a harmless prank on Dwight. Usually, Jim's pranks are meant to annoy, to ruin Dwight's day, what-have-you. But now that they're almost sort of friends, Jim just wants to play some silly game. It's almost like the office olympics, almost like no time has passed at all in this office space where Jim has spent so much of his life.

When Pam runs out crying, Jim is...so confused. She'd been looking at him strangely all day, not enjoying the A.A.R.M. events as much as he'd expected her to. But running out of the room seems a bit extreme.

"I'm afraid you're gonna resent me, and I'm afraid that this is not enough for you, and I'm afraid that I'm not enough for you."

A lot of things have surprised Jim in the past year. But this is something he's never prepared himself for. He always promised himself that he'd make sure that Pam knew how lucky he felt to be with her, that she'd always know how much he loved her. And he's apparently broken those promises.

Jim knows he's not supposed to interact with the crew, especially after the whole Bryan incident. But they've been there since almost the beginning. They saw that first kiss that Pam probably doesn't even remember. They saw the longing stares and the dates that weren't dates, and the kiss that really counted. They saw the secret relationship, the proposal, the wedding - okay, both weddings, to be fair. So he asks for their help. Because they've captured it all. And even though it's all fresh in his mind, every second of it, he feels like somewhere along the way, Pam's forgotten their story.

So he puts together all of the moments. Just one moment after another. Her head on his shoulder after he'd lost his biggest client. Ice skating and holding hands at Michael's birthday. Him holding her hands behind the desk - although he'd asked them to cut it before the moment when Roy stormed in. No one needed to remember that part. He wants Pam to see all of the moments when he loved her before she knew she loved him. And then come the moments when she finally admitted her feelings. Then the proposal. The hospital when they found out Cece was coming.

All of these moments are their story. Jim remembers every single one of them. And he thinks about all of the fantasies he used to have, of he and Pam watching this documentary together, he and Pam falling asleep on the couch, him carrying her upstairs, them looking through his yearbook with their kids. And his dreams have all come true. He doesn't need his Philly dream. He's got his Pam dream.

That's the dream that really counts.

It's actually kind of fitting that Dwight interrupts this moment. Dwight's been interrupting important moments with Pam since Jim walked in the door of Dunder Mifflin for the first time. So why shouldn't he throw a bag at Jim's head when Jim is trying to express to Pam that she's the most important thing in the world.

This better be important.

When it turns out that Dwight is finally letting himself admit that he has feelings for Angela, Jim cuts him some slack. Jim's seen the good, the bad, and the ugly with that couple. If Dwight's finally going to do something about it, then Jim's going to support him. Wholeheartedly.

"All I know is that every time I've been faced with a tough decision, there's only one thing that outweighs every other concern," Jim's telling him. And he's thinking about Pam, about Philly, about how it should have been a no-brainer from the beginning. "Love," he tells Dwight.

By the time he gets back to the kitchen, Pam's finishing the video. He's not surprised that she watched it without him - she's never been one for suspense.

He hands her the card, so glad he finally has a reason that he's been carrying it around all these years. He knew he'd eventually want to show her. He'd hoped it would be a funny thing, maybe after the documentary. But this is better. This is sweeter. This is just him and his wife and an intimate moment.

The card doesn't say anything fancy. He's not a poet. He just knew how he felt, loving a girl he thought he'd never have. He knew that Pam wasn't appreciated by Roy, knew that Jim would give her everything she wanted. He knew that he couldn't live that way anymore, loving a girl that sat ten feet away from him and not being able to tell her. He knew that she was his best friend, first and foremost, and that that was probably why he couldn't get himself to stop loving her.

And he knows, now, that he feels more strongly than ever about Pam Beesly. She's always going to be Beesly, no matter what. She's still the same girl who sat at reception for years while he pined over her. She's still the same girl who kissed him at Chili's, who called off her wedding for him, who tried to befriend his girlfriend just to be nice, and not out of spite. She's still the same Beesly who walked on hot coals and then called everyone out for not supporting her at her art show.

She's still his Pam Beesly, and he still loves her so much he can't even fathom it.

And now, hopefully, she actually knows it.


Pam is so happy to have Jim back. Not just because being a single parent honestly just sucks, and it really felt like she was a single parent when he was away. But because she just missed him, and now she doesn't have to, especially once he gets his desk back.

The team is back together.

She hears Darryl talking to Jim about Athlead, hears Jim turn it down because of her.

Because of her?

Pam never really thought about that. That she'd asked her husband to give up on his dreams because, what, it was hard for her? Because she didn't want to move?

So what! Pam Beesly is better than that. Who does she think she is, making her husband miserable just for her own benefit? That's not the wife Pam wants to be.

"I'm afraid that I'm not enough for you," her own words are bouncing around in her head after she says them. It all sort of tumbles out and she's stumbling and she's not even aware that she feels that way until she says it out loud but then she can't take it back.

Because it's true. She's so scared that he's going to wake up and hate her because she didn't just support him. Because she put herself first. And no matter what he says, all of that is still true. He put aside his happiness for hers, and she's been walking around like her husband just doesn't want these incredibly opportunities that Athlead is offering. Of course he does! He's putting her first and oh God she loves him so much but he's going to hate her. Not yet, but someday.

He sits her down in the kitchen with a laptop and a DVD and then, in his usual fashion, Dwight interrupts. Dwight's interruptions are a staple of their relationship, to be honest, so she's not surprised.

She's also not patient. So she pops the DVD in. She can always watch whatever it is again later when Jim comes back.

She's not ready for what it is. God, she'd forgotten so many of these moments. Moments when she had those stars in her eyes that she'd seen in the promo. Oh dumb, young Pam. You have no idea what you're doing.

Had he remembered all of this? He must have, at least most of them, because it's not like the crew sat through years' worth of footage to find a Jim and Pam Highlight Reel. He must have given them some idea of what to use.

Oh God, Pam is so lucky-

Is that Chili's?

The moments are going by too quickly and suddenly they're together, they're engaged, they're married. Nine years of documented moments with the love of her life, and she spent a third of them wasting her life away with some loser who wasn't half the man Jim was.

Just before the screen goes black, she sees a floppy haired Jim pull a card out of one of her favorite gifts ever. He stores it in his back pocket, and Pam is so confused. Because she has received a lot of cards from her husband, but she definitely didn't get one that year. That Christmas was memorable, and Pam knows there was no card.

Just then, Jim walks in and-

He saved it?

She can barely see through her own tears when she reads it. She's always known that Jim loves her, that Jim loved her long before she was ready to admit that she loved him back. But Pam had no idea how sure he'd been. Jim has always known that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with Pam Beesly.

"Not enough for me? You are everything," and she believes him.

Chapter End Notes:
The finale is its own chapter, coming soon!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans