- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Super fluffy chapter, including the wedding :)

Given the office's reactions to Jim and Pam dating and then Jim and Pam getting engaged, it's really no surprise that they don't want to tell anyone that Pam is pregnant.

When they eventually have to, in order to basically save Stanley's marriage, it is...just as horrifying as they'd imagined.

But then Jim gets to put that ultrasound picture over top of some old picture he's had on his desk for ages. And he gets to look at that ultrasound picture every single day until they get a new one, and then a newer one, and then a baby picture. There's a baby coming, and even this office and their meddling can't screw that up.

The baby is what prompts Jim to go to David Wallace with his idea about a promotion. Truth be told, Jim needs money. When it was just a wedding, that was okay. Buying the house definitely added to the financial stress, but it was worth it, and it remains worth it every single day. And he knows the baby is worth the financial stress, too.

But babies are expensive, and Jim is doing alright as a salesman and Pam is doing...less than that, though he'd never say it to her face. Jim loves Pam but she just isn't making sales.

He wants to put every single one of his dumb beans on her beautiful face, but he's trying to be fair and honest with himself, right?

Plus, wouldn't her getting a raise anger everyone else?

Jim is not having fun with this whole manager thing, at all.

The good news is that shortly after his promotion, he gets to leave. For his wedding, to the girl of his dreams.

The bad news is that it's not really leaving work if the whole office comes with you.

But, just like this new baby, this wedding will not be ruined by anyone at that office. But damn do they sure try.

Pam mentions mental pictures. And he thinks of all the mental pictures he's taken of her over the years.

Pam eating her mixed berry yogurt with some other guy's ring on her finger (yikes). Pam looking at him with all that pride on her face whenever he had a good idea. Pam folding up those doves for the office olympics. Pam kissing him at Chili's and then falling off of her stool. Pam's face when Jim dated Katie. Pam looking at Jim on that booze cruise all those years ago, like she wanted to say something, or wanted him to say something, but neither of them did. Pam looking at Jim after he kissed her, saying she'd wanted it, too. Pam's face when Jim returned from Stamford.

Pam's face when he asked her on a date and she had tears in her eyes. And when she got into that art program. And when he proposed. And when they say in that hospital room just a few weeks ago and found out the best news of their lives.

Jim has enough mental pictures of Pam to create a mental museum. The good and the bad, the past and the present. He's so ready to add more to his collection.

"For a really long time that's all I had, I just had little moments with a girl who saw me as a friend. And a lot of people told me I was crazy to wait this long for a date with a girl who I worked with but I think even then I knew that I was waiting for my wife." She's crying then, and he loves her so much and his heart is so full.

He screws up big time when he tells everyone that she's pregnant. But while he's upset that Pam is upset, he also just…can't be that upset. He's still marrying Pam tomorrow. He's still getting to do something that he wasn't sure was ever going to happen. He's having a baby with the woman he loves more than anything in this world.

So, when Pam calls him with a choked up voice, he goes running. He tries to make a joke about not seeing the bride before the wedding, but she's not having it. And so he goes running and he finds her.

And she is the most beautiful thing he's ever seen.

He'd always known she'd look beautiful on her wedding day. She looks beautiful every day to Jim, but there's an extra something about a wedding dress - about the fact that he's the one she's going to be walking towards. He's never been more in love with her than he is when he sees her in her dress.

But she's crying and she thinks she's a mess and he can't convince her otherwise.

So her veil tore, so what? Fine.

Snip.

Another mental picture for Pam, but Jim's already gone through a whole stack of mental film since he walked in this room. God, she looks so beautiful.

And when everyone is driving her crazy, he remembers his idea. He remembers that there was a reason they picked Niagara Falls.

So they run.


Pam is upset. Pam is not supposed to be upset on her wedding day. Pam is supposed to be pampered and waited on or something, isn't she?

Isn't today, this whole weekend, supposed to be about Pam? About Pam and Jim and their love and their baby and all of that?

God, Andy and his dancing and Mom and her projections and...Isabelle and Dwight?

No, she can't touch that right now.

Her veil is torn and she's exhausted and sad and so damn pregnant and she just wants to be married already. She's half wishing they'd just gone to Ohio all those months ago when they'd thought about it. Screw cheesy, Pam just wants Jim.

She calls him. She knows she shouldn't because, bad luck or whatever. But this whole weekend has been bad luck so what the hell.

"I'm allowing it," she tells him and he comes running. He must hear in her voice how badly she's feeling. Not that he wouldn't come to her if he didn't think it was serious, but how quickly he gets there...she knows he can tell she's in bad shape.

She knows she's being petty. But she just wanted this whole weekend to be perfect. She just wanted to marry her best friend and then go on a honeymoon and be alone with him and their growing baby. God, is that really so much to ask?

He cuts his tie in half to match her veil and oh wow she's so in love with this man.

Jim Halpert, how about that.

Pam looks at him with his half-tie and she takes a mental picture but then she takes a million more from her memory because there are so many things she wants to remember right now.

Jim telling her he loved her. Jim coming back from New York - withdrawing from consideration for a promotion just for her. Jim driving to some gas station in the middle of the highway because he couldn't stand not being engaged to her anymore.

Everyone is driving her crazy and she just wants Jim to save the day. Like he always does.

And sure enough, Jim comes through.

Pam never thought she'd want to get married without her parents there. She was so close to her mom - she still is, in some ways. She tries not to think about it, but when the board the boat, she's reminded of the booze cruise. Of Captain Jack offering to marry her to Roy right then and there.

She'd said no because she wanted her mom there.

But did she? She'd been ready to run off to Ohio a few months ago - before they even knew Pam was pregnant - because she didn't want to wait anymore. She was boarding a boat right now to get married by a stranger and in front of strangers. Maybe it was never about her mom or her family.

She thinks about Jim's speech last night.

"Even then I knew that I was waiting for my wife."

Well, young, stupid Pam had no idea what she was waiting for. But present-day Pam knows exactly what that Pam was waiting for. She was waiting for Jim, waiting for herself to be open to him. She was waiting for herself to wake up and realize that Roy was not right for her and that the right answer was right in front of her all along.

They get drenched by the waterfall, and a captain marries them. After all this time, a captain and a bunch of strangers, and soaking wet hair and a ruined veil. That's what Pam stores away in her memory for later. Because all of the stuff at the hotel and her dad's new girlfriend and Andy's...whatever...none of that stuff matters. What matters is that Jim and Pam found each other, and they're married, and none of those idiots back at the church can change that now.

In fact, she'd like to see them try.


Jim is the happiest, luckiest man in the world. His best friend is standing in front of him, in a beautiful white dress, with a veil torn and a baby in her belly. He's got half a tie and they're both soaking wet.

And they exchange rings and he doesn't care about anything else that has happened this entire weekend. Because he is married to Pam Beesly - Pam Halpert, he guesses he can start calling her - and they are unstoppable together.

When they get back to their official wedding - Plan B, Jim calls it - he doesn't care about anything that happens. He sees Pam in the back of that church, laughing while all their idiot family members and co-workers dance up and down the aisle. He's honestly extra appreciative that they're already married, because if this nonsense was holding them up, he'd be enjoying himself a lot less. But nothing matters now, because they're already married. So let the idiots dance.

And he looks at Pam, and she's smiling, and she touches her belly. And it's like they're talking to each other from across the church. Just like they've always been able to communicate without words, with just a look or a soft touch.

She's touching her belly, and she's looking at Jim, and her face is saying,

"It's just the three of us now, Halpert."

Because nothing else will ever matter as much as that.

It is actually remarkable how quickly things turn to garbage after Jim and Pam get back from their honeymoon. First, Jim is dodging phone calls about mob hits and other random nonsense while he's thousands of miles away. Then he gets back, and Michael is dating Pam's mom.

It never ends in Scranton, Jim will say that much.

When Pam gets like this - angry, passionate - it's nearly impossible to calm her down. Jim knows better. They just need to ride out the storm.

He both understands and doesn't understand. He understands that Pam is unendingly angry at Michael, that Michael crossed several lines. But Pam is...exceptionally angry at this.

There's a really small part of Jim that wants to make a joke about the time Pam saw Michael when he was changing, but he knows better, and he clamps his mouth shut.

"Say more nice things," Pam is saying, and they look out the window, and he's got Dwight washing the car. He reminds her of all of the nice things from Puerto Rico. And he just holds her and her head is on his shoulder and for just one single moment, their lives are normal.

It doesn't last.

Because Michael Scott is a small child and can't do a single thing correctly. He can't date right and he can't break up right. It's actually kind of amazing.

First of all, why are Michael and Helene even talking about Pam's job? That's the very definition of mixing business with-

Ew, nevermind.

But then they get to the restaurant and the next thing Jim knows, Michael is breaking up with Jim's wife's mother. Now that's a string of words Jim never thought he'd have to put together. Yet, here they are.

Jim is the tiniest bit jealous that Pam gets to hit Michael. Just a small, miniscule amount of jealousy is rearing its head. Which is why he won't stop her. He wants to hit Michael, too, sometimes. And Dwight. And Andy.

So he just hopes Pam gets all of their mutual frustration out in this one millisecond.

Truth be told, he does love Pam more when she's all fired up. Even if it's over something weird like this. He loves when she cares and gets passionate and angry.

She doesn't feel better after the smack to Michael's face. Jim does, a little, but Pam doesn't. And so they move on. And hopefully Michael learns his lesson about dating his employees' families…

It's interesting how married life changes nothing and everything at the same time.

No matter what happens at the office, all Jim has to do is look out of his window and see Pam's face, and everything is right with the world. No matter who turns against him on this crazy ride as co-manager, he always has his wife by his side.

He also just loves that he gets to call Pam his wife. A few years ago, she was on her way to marrying someone totally wrong for her, someone who didn't appreciate her or treat her right, and up until he himself married her, he had this little nagging feeling that said, "Well so what, she almost married some other guy, too."

But she didn't marry Roy. And she damn sure married Jim.

When he ends up returning to sales, to his old desk, he's not sad about it for a moment. The money is better, first of all. But he's also suddenly right next to Pam again. He'd never gotten to really enjoy that position before he was moved into his own office. But now, their desks were finally next to each other. After a rough call, he could reach over and grab her hand. If she was struggling, she could walk all of two steps and hug him.

He hears Michael say it, but it rings true for him as well as he dips Dwight's tie into his coffee mug:

"So good to be home."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans