- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam begin to get to the meat of things in their talk.

“Jim.” She meets his gaze directly.

“Pam.” His thumb absently strokes the top of her hand. He will stay here all night if he has to.

“Did you mean what you said in the parking lot?” It pains her to say the words.

“Yes.” He doesn't even hesitate.

“You’re in love with me?” Her lips part into a little O.

“Yes.” How could she even doubt it?

“How can you be in love with me?,” She asks in a voice so small, it sounds like it belongs to a little girl. She almost looks mad at him.

Sighing, he answers, “Pam, it’s…not like I have a choice in the matter.”

She looks down at her lap, at their intertwined fingers. “How long?”

“Pam…” Jim doesn't want to freak her out, but he knows she expects honesty. He hesitates noticeably, trying to silently communicate to her that he doesn't want to talk about this. He just wants her.

“How long have you felt this way?” She needs to know.

Another sigh. “For…a while." Try...since pretty much the day he met her. He forces himself to continue. "I’m thinking of accepting a transfer to Stamford, and...I couldn’t leave without telling you.”

Her head shoots up. “What? You’re leaving?!” He cringes a little at how shrill her voice sounds, her emotions clearly taking over.

Shaking his head slightly, he explains, “I have to. I…have no future here, not if I have to sit here and watch you marry another man.”

Her eyes close on the word "marry." “Jim, he’s the only person I’ve ever been with. I don’t know anything else. He’s…not a bad person, he just, he’s very different than I am." She pauses, and then opens her eyes to stare right at him. "I can’t hurt him.”

Chapter End Notes:
Stay tuned for more!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans