- Text Size +

“Sweet baby Jesus in a manger.” Isabel’s gaze moved swiftly around the church as she and Pam stood frozen in the aisle. Throngs of guest mulling past the two women as they took in the scene around them in obvious shock. 

“Did you…”

“No.” Pam answered before Isabel could finish. Green eyes wide and mouth agape.

“Then how…”

“I have no idea.” Without even bothering to look at Pam, Isabel knew she was telling the truth. Her tone just as stunned as Isabel’s. 

Moving her gaze around the parish another time Isabel took in the flowers, decorations and colors. All of which were not just somewhat similar to what Pam had selected for her own wedding, but down right identical. Every single aspect of the wedding so far, from the entrance to the alter, was completely and painfully identical to Pam’s doomed one.

“Come on,” Isabel looped her arm with Pam’s and headed towards a pew, “let’s go get a seat. This twilight zone of a wedding is making me dizzy.” Pam mutely nodded beside her friend and followed dutifully. 

The pair chose a seat on the right side of the church, close to the front. Despite the unsettling feeling swirling in Pam’s gut, she still wanted a good seat to be able to view Phyllis getting married. Out of everyone in the office Phyllis had been there the most for Pam after calling off her wedding. Giving her sage advice and motherly comfort over break room coffee and when that wasn’t enough a happy hour margarita during an extended lunch break. 

So regardless of how strange this day was already shaping up to be, Pam was here, wholeheartedly ready to support Phyllis. Even if it meant she might need one or two of those happy hour margaritas by the end of it.

“So any sign of he who shall not be named and his silky haired date?” Isabel whispered inconspicuously next to her. While her eyes darted around the room. No doubt searching for Jim’s lanky frame. While she had heard enough about the man to fill a book, she had never actually seen the infamous Jim Halpert.

Pam rolled her eyes. “Who? Voldemort?” A playful shove was Pam’s only answer. 

So to appease her ‘date’ Pam twisted discreetly in her pew, nervously looking over the crowd. She quickly spotted Kelly, dragging along a miserable looking Ryan. Her mouth rapidly moving along with her hands, undoubtedly describing her own dream wedding down to the every detail. 

Walking, well more like stumbling, right behind them, was Meredith. A silver flask sticking obviously out of her small handbag. 

She started early today. Pam shook her head and continued looking.

Dwight appeared next, his head swiveling around as he glanced at the thick crowd around him in disgust. Lips sneering and brows furrowed.

Lord only knows what he’s thinking. Pam mused as several obscene and horrifying options assaulted her mind. Her stomach twisting at some of the worst.

Angela, unsurprisingly, came in right after Dwight. Pausing briefly beside him to give him an appraising glance before swiftly walking past. Head held high, a severe look firmly planted back on her face. If she had bothered to turn around she would have seen Dwight give her backside a solid examination. 

Guess that’s still going on. 

She would have taken a moment to lament at the fact that Dwight and Angela had a healthier love life than she had, had in months, maybe years. If not for the fact that at that exact moment she caught sight of Jim’s slim frame entering the parish. Looking incredibly handsome in his black suit and tie and a small smile on his face.

Unfortunately, Pam’s appraisal of him was cut short as she saw just who exactly was standing at his side, putting that smile on his face.

Karen. Looking gorgeous in dark satin and an elegant up-do. A matching grin pulling at her own mouth. 

Pam’s perfectly done curls swished violently around her as she quickly turned her gaze back toward the front of the church. Desperately hoping that neither Jim or Karen had caught her obvious staring.

“They’re here.” She hissed. 

Isabel gave a much more discreet look over her shoulder than Pam had and caught sight of the pair taking a seat a few rows back in a pew across the aisle. “Damn, she is good looking.” Isabel said her eyes racking over Karen’s form. “Any way you can find out if she swings both ways?” She asked jokingly, but not really. 

Pam shot Isabel a shocked look, before slapping her leg.

“Hey! Just trying to see if I have a chance at being her rebound after the inevitable break up between her and Jim.” Isabel’s painted red lips spread into a grin. “Of course, that requires you getting off your cute butt and telling that tall drink of water how you feel.” Another slap was the only answer Isabel received as the two fell into silence and remaining guest took their seats.

.o.o.o.o.o.

“The same dress, Pam.” Isabel gripped Pam’s hand tighter, shaking it in emphasis as the walked into the lively reception hall. “The same dress! How on earth…” Isabel stumbled in her words and walking as she and Pam took in the reception simultaneously. Ghost of canceled reception past staring right back at them.

“Oh come on!” Isabel all but shouted as Pam ducked her head and pulled her date into the dimmed hall. Noticing the telltale signs that her friend was about to make a scene. Which was the last thing she needed today. 

“Let’s just find our seats.” She pleaded as they past several tables. Isabel audaciously pointing the whole way. Mouth agape.

Of course once Pam found where exactly Phyllis had seated her and Isabel she immediately regretting searching it out so vigorously. Because there, sitting directly across from Pam’s tiny name card at the large eight seater table was none other than the main propellant of Pam’s increasing wine problem.

Jim and Karen. 

Phyllis truly is a monster. 

Holding back the curse that threatened to break through Pam sat down silently in her seat. Only sparing Isabel a knowing glance before directing her attention to the small bag of fancy chocolates that served as a thank you gift for each guest. Picking at the gauzy fabric instead of meeting the eyes of the couple sitting directly across from her. 

Not one to avoid conflict Isabel struck like the viper that she is and introduced herself to the pair. “Hi, I’m Isabel.” She gave a small wave along with a wide grin. Playing the part of innocent and unsuspecting perfectly. 

“Hey Isabel, I’m Jim and this is Karen.” Jim greeted from across the table and Karen nodded. Perfectly cordial and cool as always. “We work with the bride,” his eyes darted to the still silent Pam, his façade of nonchalance faltering for a moment before firmly locking back into place. “And Pam. Obviously.” An awkward silence bled into the air around the table. Laughter and conversations could be heard as guests milled around the room, finding their seats and greeting others. 

Jim cleared his throat, “um, so you’re Pam’s friend?” While the question may have seemed superficial and weak to most, Isabel could hear the genuine curiosity and interest behind his words. The sound of which fueling her next move. 

“Not exactly,” she grinned slyly. Jim along with Pam cocked an eyebrow at her response. “I’m her lover.” Isabel added, after a dramatic pause, while running a lithe hand up Pam’s arm.

Jim choked on the water he had just taken a sip of, while Karen’s eyebrows shot into her dark bangs. Her dark eyes flicking between the two women while Jim kept his gaze completely fixated on Pam. A look of shock and disbelief written all over his face.

Guess you’re not used to people pranking you, huh Halpert?

Isabel mentally grinned at her achievement. 

Pam, who was used to Isabel’s antics, just gave the other woman a swat and a grin. Her earlier anxiety at being at the same table as Jim and Karen melting slowly away, thanks to her friend’s joke. 

“You wish.” She teased, sticking out her tongue before turning back to Jim and Karen. The shock slowly being to fade but still very present on both their face.

Suddenly self consciousness under their scrutiny, Pam tucked an errant curl behind her ear. “No, uh, Isabel is…my best friend, sister really.” Pam gave a small but clearly pointed look at Jim and continued, “has been since practically birth.” She ended, passing a heartfelt smile to her friend. It was the truth every word, no matter what Jim might have been or could ever be to Pam, Isabel would always be her first best friend. And nothing could change that. Neither Pam or Isabel would allow it.

“That’s...really nice.” Karen wistfully admitted, addressing Pam verbally for the first time that day. Pam couldn’t help but notice the genuine tone in her voice as she spoke. It was the most authentic sounding thing Karen had ever said to Pam. Which gave Pam pause, noticing Karen for the first time in a new light. It was no secret now that Karen pretty much moved to Scranton because of Jim. But what Pam had never really fully realized was what exactly Karen had to sacrifice in making that decision. Family. Her hometown. And more than likely her friends, her girlfriends. 

Pam was certain Karen didn’t interact with anyone outside the office but Jim, so unless she had found a hidden wealth of young women in the twenties to become friends with she was more than likely very friendless. Probably only connecting with Jim’s friends and maybe their girlfriends. But if Pam was to read anything into her previous tone she could assume that was not the case.

We could have been friends. Pam concluded sadly. If only the situation was different.

Another brief silence fell over the table, everyone lost in their own thoughts, it was finally broken when Karen, not so subtly hinted that she wanted a glass of wine. Batting her eye lashes and smiling shyly at Jim with her deep red lips.

And, I no longer feel bad her. Pam narrowed her eyes slightly at the other woman.

“Guess that’s my cue.” Jim said as he stood. “Do either of you want anything?” 

Immediately becoming flustered Pam looked to her friend for help, not sure whether she should take Jim up on his offer. Or spin the drink run in her favor. 

Of course Isabel had no problem deciding the right course of action.

“Actually we do. But you can’t carry three drinks, let alone four. So why doesn’t Pam go with you?” She asked in the most innocent voice. Her large brown eyes gazing politely up at Jim’s tall frame. 

Jim faltered noticeably at the question. “Uh, um, y-yeah. Sure. Is, uh that okay with you Pam?” He stuttered out. Nervousness bleeding into his words as he anxiously rubbed the back of his neck. A typical tell that Pam knew by heat. Jim’s response gave Pam a small surge of hope. If she could make the man act like this at the mere idea of them spending solo time together than he must feeling something for her still. Right?

Pam wasted no time giving Jim a quick nod and standing up. Her eagerness showing. “The usual Izzie?” A vodka martini with not two but three olives. 

“Please.” She chirped in agreement. “Take your time, I’ll keep Karen here company while you’re gone.” Pam had no doubt that Isabel would keep the raven haired beauty company. Whether it was her benefit or Isabel’s she didn’t know. Or care.

Karen cast Isabel a suspicious glance before turning a weary eye towards Pam and Jim. Who now stood side by side. 

Pam’s eagerness began to wane under Karen’s critical gaze. Her earlier anxiety starting to come back full force as a flash of the same critical gaze entered her mind. Just yesterday she had stared her down in an identical manner as she interrogated Pam about whether or not she still wanted Jim. Which ended with Pam acting and feeling like an idiot.

After what felt like years Karen finally relented. “Pinot Grigio.” The breath Pam didn’t realize she had been holding and the anxiety brewing deep in her left all at once. The feeling of optimism filling her once again. 

The trek across the reception hall was met with silence overly loud foot falls for Pam and Jim. Pam far to nervous to say anything to Jim without alcohol either in her hand or her system. And Jim, well Pam wasn’t sure what was going through his mind. He was completely silent, hands stuffed firmly in his pockets, looking straight ahead, towards their destination. A look of serious contemplation written all over his face.

Thankfully there was no line at the bar when they arrived. Allowing them to order their respective drinks, giving a brief reprieve to the tense silence. 

“Vodka martini and a glass of Pinot Noir.” Pam told the smiling bartender after Jim had finished ordering Karen’s Pinot Grigio and his craft beer. 

For the first time since being alone, Jim cocked a small grin. “What,” he cleared his throat before continuing, almost bashful, “no second drink tonight?” Pam look up at her handsome escort as she cocked an eyebrow and searched her mind for the meaning behind his words.

Second drin–oh, OH! 

A light blush spread across Pam’s cheeks as she finally caught the reference.  Clearing her own throat, which felt like it was threatening to close in nervousness. “Oh-um, yeah no second drinks tonight.” Trying to conceal her embarrassment, Pam looked down fiddling with the rouge napkin she had picked up off the bar. “I would hate to repeat that night.” She added, without thinking. Only realizing how her words sounded after she had already spewed them out. And the implications that they held.

Pam balked and quickly tried to correct herself, lifting her green gaze upwards, meeting Jim’s. “Uh, b-because you know...I-I was banned for life from Chili’s.” Delicate hands twisted the napkin within an inch of its life. “Yeah! And I, uh, would really hate to be banned from this reception hall.” She finished lamely. 

Gone was Jim’s brief small grin. 

Now in its place sat pinched lips and a tense jaw. Accompanied by eyebrows locked in a deeply frustrated frown. 

“You’re right, we would hate to have a repeat of that night.” Jim’s words left Pam with no doubt of his current feelings. The pain dripping from them spelled it all out for her. 

She had hurt him. She had screwed up again, bungling her words, and she had hurt him. 

Inadvertently of course. But the damage was done.

Before Pam could even began to rebuff her earlier statement. Make Jim believe without a doubt that the only thing Pam regrets about that night was seeing a shirtless Dwight and not the drunken kiss she had given him, he was gone. Grabbing his and Karen’s drinks and turning on his heels, heading back to their shared table.

Pam fought the tears that threatened to escape as he made his escape, blinking repeatedly and biting harshly down on her bottom lip. Grabbing her drinks from the bar top, she shot the bartender a pathetic smile and turned to leave. Martini and red wine in hand. 

It took Pam twice as long to get to the table. Between her slow pace and the quick conversation Toby had pulled her into. Introducing her to his gorgeous date. Who she, like probably everyone else in the office, assumed didn’t exist. She finally made it back just in time to see Karen pull Jim from the table and towards the dance floor. Leaving their barely consumed drinks behind.

Isabel caught her with an expectant look as Pam took her seat, “so what happened? Why the heck did Jim come back with a serious tude?” Pam left out a huff and downed a large gulp on wine before even bothering to answer.

“Well, I made a complete ass of myself that’s why.” If the setting hadn’t of been so public Pam would have considered throwing her head down on the table. Hoping to bang some sense into it. 

“Okay I’m going to need some details? I set you up for the perfect opportunity to doing some bomb flirting. What the hell happened?” Isabel hissed from behind her martini. 

Pam gave a pathetic whine, scrunching her eyes painfully as she replayed the scene over and over in her mind. Like a car crash. But in this scenario she was the car and its victim all in one. 

“We were actually, talking, joking even and then I made a stupid comment and he took it the wrong way.” Lifting her glass again, Pam took another gulp. “Like really, really wrong.” 

Isabel palmed her forehead, clearly frustrated by the turn of events. Her mind formulating a plan of attack for her dear friend. Who she wanted nothing more than to be done with being miserable.

“Okay, the night may not be a complete failure yet. All we have to do – ” 

She would have continued voicing her plan if at that moment she hadn’t suddenly caught sight of Pam’s expression. Shattered and defeated, staring past Isabel and towards the dance floor behind her. Her beautiful green eyes filling slowly with tears. 

With a quick turn of her head, Isabel was able to immediately identify the source of Pam’s pain. 

There front and center of the dance floor was Jim and Karen. Intimately embracing, Jim smirking down to a no doubt grinning Karen, as they slow danced to a mediocre Police cover. Isabel felt an immediate flash of anger at the sight, her earlier desire to mend the rift between Pam and Jim temporarily forgotten. 

How could this be the same man who had admitted to having feelings for Pam for years and just a few months prior declared his love for her? 

It makes no sense! Isabel thought, finally realizing exactly why Pam believed Jim had truly moved on.

“Pam…” she said turning back to her heartbroken friend. Pam sniffed discreetly as she pulled her tortured gaze from the pair. Focusing instead on her tightly clenched hands in her lap. The painfully broken sight of her friend had an all most dizzying effect on Isabel, so much so that even she was surprised by her next words.

“I’ll help you.” 

Confused Pam looked up. “W-what?” 

God help me.

“I’ll help you. Date.” Isabel’s hands moved as she explained. “Date guys. Other than Jim.” Pam suddenly began to brighten. “Though I still believe there is hope for you two. I-uh, I get it now.” She added believing it slightly less than just five minutes before. A genuine smile spread across Pam’s face, making it impossible for Isabel to not smile along with her.

“I even have a guy in mind.” God help me.

Pam all but leapt at Isabel wrapping her arms around the other woman. Hugging her within an inch of her life. So beyond grateful for her friend and her hand in helping her move on. Helping put an end to her perpetual heartache. 

A feeling of optimistic hope filled Pam for the first time in a long time. Far more than when she was alone in this process.

She could move on. She would move on. And Isabel would help her.

“Alright, I’m glad you’re happy. Now drink up.” Isabel said, untangling herself from Pam and pushing her half consumed red wine back into her hand. “Because you’re gonna need to be drunk to make it through the rest of tonight.”

The friends shared a laugh before they were hugging again completely losing themselves to their own world, like they had done so many times before. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans