- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Back to work for Pam, so that means back to messing with Dwight.

Journals of a Stay-at-home-Dad. Day 8. The domicile is back to normal. And by normal, I mean the detritus of the weekend needs to be cleaned, Small Rabbit has that look in his eye due to his litter needing to be changed, and the space-time vortex of dishes persists. Fortunately for me I have at least one thing in my favor. Pizza Rolls were recently ensnared. Small Human is currently napping which gives me an opportunity. Once I'm finished spreading mulch around, I'm sure they shall prove as hearty a meal as any.

Pam’s eyes changed from bemused to apprehensive as she read Jim’s latest journal post at her desk. She reached for her phone and hit the speed dial for his cell phone. He picked up on the second ring.

“Hello hello.” Jim voice seemed to be overly cheerful to Pam’s ear.

“You have a broken leg, you know,” she said with a note of concern in her voice. “Those bags of mulch weight at least 50 pounds. Is that going to be too much for you?”

“Awww, you do care,” Jim teased.

“Dork,” Pam teased back. “Seriously, didn’t the doctor say you needed to keep most of the weight off your foot?”

“He did, fortunately I won’t be doing most of the heavy lifting.”

Pam sat up straight in her chair with a puzzled look to her face. “What? How’s that going to work?”

“Oh, I have my ways. Hold on a sec.”

In her mind’s eye, Pam could clearly see the smug smirk on Jim’s face. Her fears though were relieved when a new voice came on the line.

“Hey there hot stuff!”

Letting a laugh escape her lips, Pam felt her smile return. “Hey Johnathan. Why didn’t you tell us you were going to be in town?”

“What and ruin the surprise? Come on, I thought my cousin had taught you a thing or two by now?” In the background she heard Jim’s guffawing laughter.

“Him teach me? Please” she fired back. “Without me he’d still be shuffling around looking around for the secret vault of paperwork here at the office.”

Johnathan’s voice seemed muffled as he repeated what she’d said to Jim. “She said you’d still be looking for the paperwork vault without her.”

Jim’s reply was muffled so Pam didn’t catch it.

“What’d he say?”

“Something about how he’s been threatening to use dynamite to crack that safe for years,” Johnathan replied. “Anyway, yeah surprise! Hope you guys don’t mind me dropping in like this.”

“You’re always welcome in our home,” Pam said kindly. “How long are you here for?”

“A couple days. I had a conference in New York over the weekend and figured I’d take a couple more days off before heading back down to Florida.”

Pam chatted with Johnathan for a bit longer before she hung up her phone. Feeling much lighter, she brought her call sheet back up and scanned the list for potential sales. A new voice interrupted her though.

“There are no vaults in this building. I’ve completed very thorough checks of the entire premises on multiple occasions and never found such a thing.”

Dwight was giving her a very serious look from across their desks. Pam quirked an eyebrow at him. Internally she was grinning, outwardly she kept her composure. “Are you sure Dwight? I was just down there yesterday to get the files for the Gander account.”

“Yes Pamela.” Dwight scoffed. “As you are of course more than aware, I’ve been a valued employee of Dunder-Mifflin longer than you. I am privy to every secret this building has to offer.”

“Oh! Right,” she nodded. “How silly of me. It’s just, oh never mind.” Pam turned back to her computer.

“What?” Dwight’s face lost its look of contempt and he leaned forward in his chair.

“It’s nothing.” Pam said without looking up.

“It’s not nothing,” Dwight insisted.

“It really is.”

“Pam, if you have new information about possible secret passages or compartments in this building it’s your duty to report it in your position as junior saleswoman to me, the ranking senior salesman.”

She looked up from her monitor, peered around Dwight, and pointed with a pen. “Wouldn’t that be Stanley?”

“Irregardless,” Dwight waved her off. “You have information. I assure you I will keep it confidential. Unless it involves a matter of national security.”

Rolling her eyes, Pam beckoned Dwight in closer. “Fine, if I must. It’s just back when Michael, Ryan, and I were downstairs we didn’t spend all day selling paper.”

“I knew it!” Dwight had a triumphant gleam to his eye. “There’s no way you could have undersold us or stolen all our clients and still have been legitimate!”

Internally shaking her head at his odd logic, Pam leaned in closer and dropper her voice to a whisper. “No that’s not it. If you go down there, you should still be able to see it.”

Dwight looked around and leaned in. “What?” he whispered back.

Pam brought her hand to the side of her mouth. “The false floor.”

The revelation caused Dwight’s eyebrows to shoot up for an instant before he schooled his features. “Who else knows about this?”

“Just me, Michael, and Ryan. I’m taking a risk by telling you this Dwight. I haven’t even told Jim.”

“Your trust is well placed,” Dwight nodded sagely.

“I knew I could count on you.” Pam glanced around. “Just make sure you keep this secret. We put a lot of sensitive material down there before we re-joined Dunder-Mifflin.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be sure to include the safe on my security patrols.”

Pam nodded in relief. “Thanks Dwight.”

The rest of the day went by surprisingly fast for Pam. Dwight kept shooting her knowing glances that she would return. Her lunch with Phyllis in the breakroom passed calmly. When she landed two new accounts that afternoon, she took a quiet sort of pride when she brought the contracts to Accounting. Finally, it was after 5:00 and time to leave.

Her drive home seemed to take no time. Pulling into the driveway she was met by the sight of Jim and Johnathan raking mulch into their outdoor flower beds. Johnathan had Cece in her chest carrier. The baby girl laughing happily as Johnathan bounced her around as they finished their work.

“Looks great guys!” Pam told them as she walked across the lawn.

“Thanks.” Jim greeted Pam with a hug and a kiss.

“John, lovely to see you again.” Pam said as she gave him a hug as best she could around her daughter.

“You too.”

“So how was your day?” Jim asked.

Pam felt her grin grow from ear to ear. “Well, Dwight now thinks there’s a safe filled with Michael Scott Paper Company secrets. So that’s a plus.”

She led them inside to give them both a full wrap up of her day and to start plotting on how to best utilize the seeds she had sown.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews welcome as always.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans