- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam wander.

“A sacrifice?” He knew he was just echoing her. But he was still so shocked at how calmly, how well, she was taking the thought of Stamford. His heart hurt thinking about being so far from her now that they were so close; he was nowhere near calm. But here she was, making lists and coming up with plans. She was amazing. He’d always known that, but now…he shook his head in wonder, which she took as a negative.

 

“No sacrifice?” She pursed her lips. “But how are we going to get Jan to let you come back?”

 

“I mean, I could burn down Stamford…” he mused, but quickly moved to clear up the confusion. “I wasn’t shaking my head no. I think a sacrifice is a great idea.”

 

“Then why were you shaking your head?” She cocked her head to the side like a little bird, considering him. “You know, Halpert, in modern American culture, shaking your head is generally interpreted to mean no.”

 

He stuck out his tongue at her. “I know that. But it was more of a ‘no way is the universe nice enough to me to make you love me back’ kind of no.”

 

“You’re right.” Just like that she threw him off-kilter, only to reel him back in with her next words. “The universe didn’t make me love you back. You did.” She tapped her fingers. “And maybe I did a little bit too.”

 

He smiled and she smiled back and it was only when an employee came by to wipe down the table next to them that they realized they’d been just staring into each others’ eyes for what was probably an embarrassingly long time, if one were inclined to feel embarrassed in front of total strangers in another country.

 

“I guess we should get going.” His voice was tinged with regret.

 

“I guess so.” Hers was too. “Think about that sacrifice idea, ok? Or anything else you can think of?”

 

“Will do.” In fact, besides thinking about her, he couldn’t imagine he was going to do anything else tonight. Certainly not sleep.

 

They rose as one and headed out the door of the ice cream shop and into the street.

 

**

 

“Now, where the hell are we?” Jim always had a way of cutting right to the point that Pam truly enjoyed. Yes, he could be a goofball (a lovable goofball) and a prankster and all those things, but when he actually had to get something done he usually got it done quickly and efficiently—in order to get back to the pranking of course. That was what made him such a good salesman: for instance, until Dwight had intentionally and completely wrecked it, he’d arranged things so that he only had to make one phone call for a full quarter of his sales. Efficient. Direct.

 

Also, apparently, a bit lost—as was she.

 

“I have no idea.” She confessed it gladly, because even that minor honesty with Jim was somehow a relief of the years and years of repressed feelings and unclear expressions.

 

“Me neither.” And they were standing staring at each other with goofy grins again until someone coughed and politely pushed past them into the shop. Well, as politely as one could push past two idiots who were just standing in front of a door doing nothing but stare.

 

“Well, Macquarie St. was…” he trailed off. “Somewhere.” He shrugged.

 

She grabbed his hand. How liberating to be able to do that and not look over her shoulder for someone to tell Roy. She pulled him down what looked to her like a main thoroughfare. “Let’s try this.”

 

Ten minutes later they ended up in front of the same ice cream shop.

 

“Maybe it’s a chain?” she offered up, in a small voice.

 

“I mean, I don’t know Australian chains, but I’m pretty sure that’s the table we sat at.” Jim pointed through the window and she blushed.

 

“I think you’re right.”

 

“Shall we try again?” This time he took her hand, and somehow it made her whole body thrill.

 

And this time they did not end up in front of the same building again. They also did not end up anywhere Pam could particularly remember being, until they emerged at length in front of a large expanse of green space with a giant reflecting pool and a tall building at one end of it.

 

“Ah, the Anzac Memorial.” Jim rubbed his chin and essayed what she knew to be his wise-old-man look. “I knew I’d find it eventually.”

 

“You did not.” She swatted his arm, and he used the motion to pull her into a hug, which quite effectively disarmed even her mock annoyance.

 

“Ah, but I did. You see, Beesly, this is the great advantage of we seasoned Sydney travelers.” He squeezed her a little closer. “We know that all roads eventually lead to the Anzac Memorial. It’s just a matter of getting lost enough.”

Chapter End Notes:

A bit of a filler, but I wanted to flesh out their interactions a bit more. I promise all will eventually be figured out. Assuming I can figure it out myself. 

 Thanks for reading and reviewing! 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans