- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the warm welcome to MTT! 

Most of the office has cleared out when Mick from the doc crew asks Jim for a quick meeting with Michael and Toby. Karen had left early, citing a call with one of her Stamford friends, and Jim has a laundry list of things he wants to get through before the week is out. It's been a long day.

"We’re gonna need you for this,” the cameraman says. Jim shrugs, but willingly follows him into the conference room where Toby is already sitting. He raises an eyebrow, but Toby looks just as uninformed of the reason for the meeting.

Michael walks in, sees two other guys setting up the TV, and immediately turns around. 

“No, no. If this is taking longer than five minutes, I’m out. Places to go, sights to read.”

“It can’t wait,” Mick tells him. “We’re contractually obligated to show you this.”

“Ugh, fine. Pam, get yourself over here ready to take minutes,” Michael grumbles. “This had better be good.”

Jim glances over at reception, where Pam is still sitting. She’d been ignoring him all day, something that had irked him beyond measure for no reason. Her face is turning ashen. He catches the distressed look she shoots Mick and frowns.

“Hey man, I don’t think Pam needs to be there,” Mick hastens to say. “It’s a bit of a sensitive issue and we just need the three of you.”

“Nope, official meeting requires official notes,” Michael insists. “And if I have to be stuck in a room with Toby, I might as well have Pam to look at too.”

“But…” Mick looks helplessly at Pam. Her face is now hidden by her hair, which for once isn’t held back by a barrette.

“Look, you’re the one insisting we look at this,” Michael scolds. “As the boss, I’ve decided this is the way we’re going to do this.”

Jim gives one of his deadpan looks to the camera, but he’s also feeling a little impatient. It’s nothing Pam’s not done before. He waves away the stray thought that her newfound reticence is because of him. So what, he’d been too tired to pick up the phone yesterday. He’d been with Karen, and he’s not a dog coming to heel every time Pam beckons. She has no right.

“Come on,” he tells her. He actually has things to do, like close that sale with Krieger and look over Stanley and Phyllis’s expense reports. Jim briefly wonders when he started getting annoyed when there’s an interruption from work, but puts that thought away. “It’s not going to take that long, Beesly.”

Pam’s expression turns blank and she makes her way into the conference room. He kind of hates her right now.

“All right,” Michael says when they’ve all taken their seats. “The doc crew’s insisted that we watch this for some reason and deal with it, so let’s do this. Pam, write down everything I say.”

It takes a few tries for Michael to get the TV working. Jim watches, detached. His eyebrows rise as Pam appears on the screen.

“Anything you want to hide, Pamela?” Michael asks.

Something is definitely wrong with Pam. “I need to go,” she says quietly, half-rising from her seat. Jim glances at her again, a little worried now. 

“No, no, stay.” Michael sounds annoyed now. “Stop it, I’m missing magic camp for this.”

Pam sinks into the chair, looking down. Her gaze remains anchored to the floor as the video plays.

It looks like somebody had left the camera running on one of the desks after the work day ended. The frame is still, giving a clear view of reception and the desk cluster Jim sits at. The office looks abandoned except for Pam at her desk, a mundane shot.

Then Roy comes in.

At first, Jim thinks the video has caught Pam getting frisky with Roy and is irritated that Mick even considers this high priority. He’s under no delusions; people have definitely hooked up in the office before. The last thing he needs is to see a voyeuristic sex tape of the woman who’d broken his heart.

But then he notices Roy’s unkempt, non-uniformed appearance and realizes this must be after he’d gotten fired. Which means he’d managed to sneak into the office. And the two people he has a grudge on are himself and…

Jim can’t tear his eyes away from the TV. There’s a throbbing in his ears and a heavy fog settling in his brain. He stares at the images, unable to turn his eyes toward Pam.

Christ, he wishes Dwight had saved Pam instead of him. Maybe if he’d let Roy get a punch in he wouldn’t have gone after her. What kind of filth does this to a woman? And how could Roy, who must have seen Pam in all her beauty for an entire decade, ever be able to raise a hand to her?

She had been too much to lose for Jim and he hadn’t even had her, not really. He wants to strangle Roy, hurt him like he hurt Pam. The anger chokes him and doesn’t let go even when Pam’s struggling and Mick’s appearance finally send Roy running.

Jim hits his breaking point when a shuddering Pam starts begging Mick to not air the footage. She’s clutching at her blouse, trying to hide as much of her freshly bruising skin as possible—Jim can’t take it anymore and smashes the off button on the remote, cheeks wet. The TV goes blank, and her soft pleas cut off to blissful quiet.

He can’t look at her.

Toby is the one to break the long silence. “I’m... we’re going to have to take this up to Jan.” His sad eyes give Pam a sadder, sympathetic look. “I’m so sorry. Will you be all right?”

Pam’s face is unreadable. Jim shares an unsettled look with Michael, who for once has no inane comment to make. He is suddenly furious at the man for insisting they needed her here, forcing her to watch herself go through… that.  He hates himself for letting it happen.

He’d… oh god, he’d ignored her calls. Pam had been hurt. She must have been trying to ask for help, and he’d ignored her.

Toby waits a beat, then gets up. He almost pats her on the shoulder, but stops when she flinches. “I’ll be here if you’d like to talk,” he tells her, then walks out.

“Is the meeting over?” Pam asks, quietly.

Michael looks at Jim again in wordless panic. Seeing that the man is in no mind to answer, Jim manages to find his voice.

“Y…yeah, we’re done here.”

Pam slips out of the conference room, leaving him with Michael and a terrible ugly feeling in his gut that feels too much like self-loathing. She’s moving a little gingerly, now that he knows to look for it. He hadn’t noticed. What else had he missed?

“What do we do?” Michael hisses. “Jim, what the hell am I supposed to do now?”

“I don’t… I don’t know.”

Pam has already left the office by the time he comes out of the conference room.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans