- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yankee Swap strikes again.

Last week at Jim’s barbeque, Pam had dropped a bomb on him. Dwight and Angela were likely dating, but he was prohibited from using that knowledge to mess with Dwight. Jim fell more in love with Pam every day, because of course she cared in her own special way about Dwight’s feelings, and by extension Angela’s. Pam was the nicest person he knew, and she proved it yet again by coming to the barbeque straight after her evening class with a bag of vegetarian patties, because she knew Angela would like the option. Jim was really looking forward to showing his appreciation to her come the Office Christmas party later in the day, because he had paid Creed five bucks to get Pam in Secret Santa.  Jim was a little nervous that his gift might come across as stalkerish, he had gotten her a little teal teapot so that she could have tea at her desk, and filled it with mementos of the time they had spent together over the last few years as best friends, and now significant others. At the same time, Jim rationalised that it had to be better than whatever Creed would have come up with, so at least he had spared her that.

The film crew had been pulling everyone in to do interviews about their Secret Santa gifts all morning. Pam watched as Jim grabbed a nondescript white box and followed the producer to go do his interview. Pam had been trying to get Jim to spill the beans on who he got for Secret Santa this year, but even utilizing her feminine wiles there had been no success, he was playing this one close to his vest as it were. That in itself was a dead giveaway for her though, because it meant either he got Dwight and the payoff was going to be substantial, or he had her. At this point in the game Pam had resigned herself to waiting to see what she got and making a determination based on that if he hadn’t cracked by then. Pam was pretty sure she was going to win though, Jim usually let her in on pranks.

Later as they all gathered around the tree and Dwight started distributing gifts with ruthless efficiency, Pam was not disappointed to be proven right in her assumptions. As Pam opened her gift to discover a card and a teal teapot, she looked up to meet Jim’s gaze and held it. His eyes told the story, this was definitely his gift for her. Before Pam could explore any further, Dwight had moved on to the next person, cutting their moment short. Everything went downhill from there. Ryan opened an IPod, Michael got his feelings hurt and changed the game, and Meredith stole her teapot in the first round of what was now Yankee Swap. The only consolation Pam had was that she had managed to save the card by slipping it between her leg and the chair she was sitting on.

Jim was silently fuming. Of course, Michael would find a way to ruin a Secret Santa gift exchange. Jim looked on as the teapot was stolen from Pam, and he noticed her shifting in her chair like she was uncomfortable. He could tell by the look she had given him that she knew that it was from him. Jim loved that they could communicate without words sometimes, and right now he thought his face was screaming ‘I will get that teapot back to you if it’s the last thing I do,’ but what he saw on Pam’s face confused him. She was looking at him like it was ok, and when he mouthed ‘How?’ at her, she shifted again and he noticed a white envelope fall to the floor behind her chair, and looked up just in time for her to wink at him. So, she had saved the card. That in itself was a balm to Jim’s foul mood, but there were things inside that teapot that meant a lot to him – and to Pam as well he hoped – that not just anyone should be allowed to have.

Round and round the IPod went, it was a highly sought-after item. Jim watched as Pam stole the teapot back, only to have it taken from her again the next round by Phyllis. Jim moved to take it from Phyllis when it was his turn, giving her an apologetic look, only to have it removed from his grasp by Dwight. Pam was the last one to go, and when she asked for the teapot Michael interjected that she couldn’t take it as she had stolen it already, ‘And them’s the rules.’ Jim was disappointed, he had spent so much time choosing mementos to stuff that teapot and now Dwight of all people was going to end up with it. With no real choice, Pam went and stole the IPod as the last move of the game. Jim hung his head.

Their coworkers dispersed, and Jim sat himself down heavily in the conference room beside the punch and snacks, having some of Pam’s iced brownies to try and fill the hole in his gut. When Jim looked out into the bullpen he noticed Pam sitting at her desk looking down at something, probably her new IPod. Jim figured the least he could do was be happy for her, it wasn’t every day you got a free IPod, and so he trudged over to her desk, trying to plaster a smile on his face.

Pam frowned when she saw Jim making his way over with a forced smile, but her lips quirked up again when she reminded herself that she was about to make his day.

“You know you don’t have to answer the phones during a party,” Jim finally leaned against her desk.

Pam bit her lip, barely containing her excitement, “I was just checking out,” Pam moved the teapot in its box into view on the counter between them, “My gift!”

Jim gaped at her, “How?”

“Well Jim, I did grab the best bargaining chip around in the last move of the game,” Pam beamed.

“You traded the IPod for this,” Jim asked in awe.

“I did, you obviously put a lot of thought into this, and that means a lot to me so,” Pam shrugged and trailed off.

“I hope you don’t mind that I didn’t get to read the card before opening the gift, although knowing you I think it’s going to make me cry, so maybe I shouldn’t read it here.”

“Well, I don’t think it’s a sad card,” Jim trailed off with a smirk.

“You know what I mean! I am capable of happy crying too you know,” Pam said as she reached up to smack his arm.

“Well in that case, yeah, you should probably save the card for home,” Jim smiled down at her, and she almost burst into tears regardless at the pure adoration she saw in his gaze.

“Well, you made the right choice choosing the teapot,” Jim steered the conversation, moving the teapot closer to Pam, “Because this gift comes with bonus gifts, look inside,” Jim smiled encouragingly.

Jim and Pam spent the next half hour at her desk laughing and reminiscing over the various trinkets in the teapot, from a yearbook picture of Jim, a boggle timer, one of Nikita’s old chew toys, to some hot sauce packets. Jim was pleased to note that she found these memories significant too. When they left the office to drive home, they confirmed plans to visit her parents on Christmas morning for the Beesly Annual Christmas Brunch. They would then go to Jim’s parents for Christmas supper. Jim was extremely anxious, because there was something big he needed to ask Will and Helene.

Chapter End Notes:

I hope you all have as much fun reading this chapter as writing it has brought me. If I can get you to smile - mission accomplished.

Thank you everyone for reading and reviewing, I love seeing your feedback.

Tune in next time for the dreaded Booze Cruise. I should have it out before I got back to work on Monday, fingers crossed!

Edited 2020-06-12 @ ~11:30 AM CST:

Discovered that my plot is out of whack, Thanksgiving should have happened between Email Survailence and Christmas Party. As a bandaid fix I've done a find/replace of Thanksgiving and changed it to Christmas... Oops! I dropped the ball on that one, the plot point ended up in the wrong chapter on my draft. 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans