- Text Size +

Following the argument with her mom, and the resulting meltdown Pam had suffered she was exhausted. She had taken to the couch again, and contemplated calling her dad. Now that she was calmer – but still unwilling to discuss things with her mom – she thought of her father's kind, steady character. She missed him sometimes, being further away than she would have liked. Although she was typically closer with Helene, and generally Helene was the more involved of the two parents, she loved her dad deeply. She hadn't realized how much she really wanted to see them both until their fight that morning. She thought she might call him that evening, hoping she could catch him alone. She wanted to explain the situation and tell him why she was staying at Jim's – and not make it sound so tawdry, so dishonest, the way Roy undoubtedly had in filling in her mom. She didn't want her dad to think badly of her.

After all, her own mother seemed to have fallen for Roy's story, and had virtually accused her without even asking for the facts. That had seemed so unlike her mother. She didn't understand it at all. But then she knew how manipulative Roy was, and how much her mom already liked him.

Jim had tactfully reminded her that Pam and her mom drawing battle lines between them was exactly Roy's intention, carefully suggesting underneath the words that she call Helene and make amends with her. Inside, she knew he was right. It didn't defuse her anger any though. Her mom had no idea of what really Roy had done to her, was still doing to her. And he was still harassing her, through her parents!

She was settled fairly comfortably on the couch holding a second makeshift icepack to her side and huddled under the same blue blanket again. She had offered to make lunch, but Jim had refused her, telling her she was meant to be resting and to take advantage of his good nature now, because once she was well it was all going to change.

"Take your time and get some rest. The dishes will still be there when you are back on your feet, all piled up high in the kitchen waiting for you." he laughed as she threw him an amused smirk and rolled her eyes.

She took her painkiller, listening to Jim moving around in the kitchen and feeling drowsy. Picking up her phone, she scrolled through her messages. Three from her mom and two unanswered calls. She sighed and put the phone down deciding to deal with it later and turned to her side a little. She laid her head on the cushion above the arm rest, curling her legs up beneath her. Her mind drifted a little and she began to doze off. Barely she heard the door or Jim moving past her to answer it.

What she did hear, however, drew her eyes open again and her attention back in the present. She knew that rough, brash voice. In a way, she had been expecting this. Of course he would come see her. Hadn't she herself told Jim that he had been almost a part of her relationship with Roy?

Torn in momentary indecision, she struggled up off the couch leaning heavily on her right side to push herself to her feet. She was numb and sore under the icepack. Apprehensively she walked down the hall towards the door where Jim was standing . Apparently this Saturday was not done tormenting her yet.

"Who are you?" she heard Jim say.

Pam walked up behind him. "Kenny." she said, with a knowing look at Jim. "Roy's brother." she added meekly, seeing the look of confusion on his face.

"Hi…." Kenny began, taking in the sight of her in front of him. His eyebrows rose a notch. From his stunned expression it was obvious that he hadn't been prepared for the visual roadwork Roy had done to her face.

"Can we talk?" he coughed, putting a hand to his mouth. Pam shrugged, staring at him nervously. She turned to Jim.

"It's okay." she nodded at Jim. He sighed, looking uncertain and turned to her.

"I'll be in the kitchen." he said pointedly, with a look back at Kenny. Pam gave him a small smile and nodded again, as he turned and retreated to the kitchen.

"Pam-" Kenny stepped forward. Pam lifted her hand and shook her head briskly.

"Out here." she said firmly. The man looked down at her with a slightly betrayed expression.

"Out here? Really Pam?"

He sounded so much like Roy, she had always hated that about him. When she and Roy were just getting to know each other, Kenny often tagged along on their dates. At first she found herself unable to distinguish which one of them was speaking if they were out of sight. Later on she had unconsciously learned the subtle differences in the inflections in their two voices, the different speed of their speech – Kenny spoke a little faster than Roy – but still, it unnerved her to have that distinct reminder on the doorstep right there uninvited.

She swallowed. "Yeah."

Kenny shrugged resignedly and continued. "What happened to you? Roy said you guys had a fight. But…" he motioned to her face.

Pam raised her hands indifferently. "But what, Kenny?"

"What happened?"

Pam shot him a piercing look, watching as Kenny visibly squirmed uncomfortably, his eyes running over the colorful bruises spread over her face and ringed around her neck like a savage choker.

"Yeah, well…. You can't really blame him for being mad… but…well..." he mumbled.

"Mad." she repeated bitterly. "Yeah, he was mad alright."

Kenny shook his head briskly. "He had a right to be mad. But listen, you can't just go off making all kinds of allegations-"

Pam was stung. "What are you saying Kenny? Say it."

Kenny pointed up at her face. "Roy didn't do all that damage. Yeah he said you'd gotten into it and he was a little drunk…well, here nor there. He wants to see you."

"Does he now?" she replied coldly.

Kenny glared at her. "I don't know why either. I told him, don't go chasing someone who has done the dirty on you the way you have but that's Roy."

"This conversation is over." She said flatly, clenching her jaw and moving briskly to shut the door.

"Wait, wait, wait." Kenny reached out and lightly pushed the door back before she could close it. Pam shot him a fierce glare, suddenly angry again. "I only want two minutes of your time."

"Look, what are you here for?" she snapped.

"I told you, Roy wants to see you."

"He'll see me in court." she said bluntly. Kenny shoved his hands in his pockets and kicked at the ground.

"What you're doing just isn't fair. Maybe Roy did make an error in judgement, he was bombed after all. But you think it's right making him sit in jail?"

"Right? Fair?" she spat. "Look Kenny, just get out of here, okay?"

He sneered at her, his cheeks reddening. "Listen to me, I suggest you go to the cops and get these ridiculous charges against my brother dropped, so we can all move on. Roy, for some dumb reason wants to give you a second chance."

Anger filled up inside her belly and she wanted to cry. "I'm not talking about this with you. Two minutes are up." she forced herself to speak evenly.

Kenny glared at her, loathing burning bright in his eyes. "You are an exceptionally stupid girl, aren't you Pam?" he said heatedly.

"Look, Kenny, I'm done with-" she pushed at the door but Kenny pushed back from his side.

"You screwed around on Roy. You ran off and moved in with some other guy, you left him and then you had him thrown in jail! I had to scrape up every cent I had to get him out. We were planning to go to Mexico. I had to give it all up!"

"Please just let go of the door, I'm not talking to you about this!" she said angrily.

"You want everything to come out in court, do you? Think about it. All of your lying, cheating, whoring around will all come out, no one is going to think you're this sweet and innocent girl after that. And you know what, if that happens, if Roy has to go to court, believe me I'll make sure everybody knows exactly what you are and what you deserve."

"Get out of here!" She stepped back, holding the door in a deathly tight grip. Suddenly something icy cold clicked inside her. A discomforting pounding sensation grew in her chest and all of once it felt like there was no oxygen in the air. A cluster bomb of panic exploded in her brain.

"You paid his bail?" she said in a low voice. "Roy's out?" She shook.

Kenny was exasperated. "He didn't deserve to be in that place and you know it."

She had had enough of this. A burning urge to run, escape, was overwhelming her. She wanted to hang on to her wits; she did not want Kenny to see her panic, see her afraid.

"Leave, now." She demanded, displaying more strength than she felt. "I'll call the police. Go."

"Are you kidding me, Pam!" Kenny's voice raised in anger.

"Don't yell." She said simply. "Just let go of the door and leave. Now. I'm not talking to Roy, and I'm not talking to you. Leave!" From what sounded like a great distance, she heard Jim calling to her. She turned to him, jumping in fright to find he was actually standing next to her.

Kenny glared at them both and stepped backwards. "Remember what I said. If Roy has to get up in front of a judge, well then it's open season. I suggest you think very carefully about what you are doing."

"Oh, you're threatening her, are you?" Jim said, now also riled up. He moved towards the door. Pam, fearing a brawl or worse deliberately slammed the door shut and locked it.

"Pam, you can't let him-"

"Forget it." she snapped. Jim unlocked the door roughly. Fury as hot as lava poured out of him. Her panic doubled.

"Jim!" she cried. "Stop it, stop it, calm down!" Jim looked at her, she couldn't miss the hard angry fire burning in his eyes.

"Okay - he was threatening you!" he reminded her, in a harsh tone that sounded strange coming from him. He started to pull the door open, but she again desperately pushed it shut and locked it for the second time.

"Jim, please." she grabbed at his arm, holding on to him with both hands and trying to make him turn away from the door. "Please."

She could see the rage in her normally mild mannered, calm, steady friend – she didn't like it one bit. She held on to his arm firmly, pleading with him to turn around.

Finally, he turned back to her, studying her with red and guilt filled eyes. She was terrified, trembling, begging with wide, hurt eyes. His anger dissipated rapidly.

"Okay, okay." he said calmly. She released his arm, looking down at the floor.

"Pam-" she shrugged away his hand as he went to rest it on her shoulder. She glared at him fiercely.

"God!" she exclaimed, thoroughly vexed. With that she turned and walked away leaving Jim standing there, completely confused.

-TO-

Jim gave her some time to cool down before he followed her upstairs. He had felt dreadful watching her walk away from him like that. Worrying about her state of mind, he went to find her. At the top of the stairs the door to the room she had been sleeping in was open. He rapped on it gently and stepped inside. Rumpled sheets and some clothing stared back at him, but Pam was not there.

Worried now, he looked over at the bathroom – the door was open there also. He stood still a moment, concerned as to where she was. Walking out of the room and towards the bathroom to double check, he stopped and turned. A strange kind of sixth sense had come over him. Pushing the door of his own bedroom open gently, he spotted her, curled up in the corner by the bed, as she had been the day that Roy had come to the house, her head pushed into his blanket. Even from across the room he could see she had been crying.

Making his way over to her, he knelt down beside her. She didn't turn round to look at him or acknowledge him. His stomach dropped heavily – she was still mad at him. He didn't know what to do, he couldn't bear it if he had hurt her somehow, or worse, if she left because of him. He couldn't bear the thought that she was mad at him.

He sat down quietly next to her on the floor, pondering the best approach. He wasn't sure why she had come to his room, again either. He looked at her sympathetically.

"Pam-" He cut off in surprise as she turned around in blink of an eye, her face red and tear stained, plunging into him and wrapping her arms tightly around his neck. She pressed her face into his shoulder, struggling to control her breathing.

"I'm sorry, Jim." she cried into him. "I'm sorry."

"Hey.." he said, hugging her back. She trembled underneath his arms and he warmly gripped hold of her, relieved she was no longer angry at him.

"I yelled at you." she mumbled into his shoulder desperately. "I didn't mean it, I didn't."

Jim smiled sadly to himself. She was upset – he thought she was having some sort of Roy based flashback, which served to make him feel worse for being grateful that Pam was right where he felt she belonged; in his arms.

"No more apologies." he said kindly. "You're gonna be okay."

She sniffed and he felt her nod her head against his shoulder.

"Yeah." she whispered. "One day."


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans